Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by Sherwood
If you want to stop deer along a well travelled route so you can make a good shot, drag a small tree across their trail. They will stop and stare at it before going around.

Want to make deer cross a fence where you want them to cross? Tie the top strand to the middle strand of barbed wire and then drag a small tree to block access to their former crossing spot.

Want to have a permanent deer blind for cheap? Buy a junk car from a salvage yard and have it towed to your spot in the woods. Stuff old clothes with newspapers to form dummies and place them in the front seat. Opening day you simply toss the dummies into the rear seat and hunt with the windows open. Deer can't tell the difference between the dummies and live hunters. No kidding, this works!

My Dad (1922-2004) taught me these tricks.

Sherwood

LOL

Cute, but it just MIGHT cost you a ticket. Can't hunt from a motor vehicle unless handicapped. (They have some bent rules.)

Edit: "Per Debbie and the legal department at the Ohio Department of wildlife; 1(800)WILDLIFE: You cannot hunt from inside the vehicle at all. For trucks, this also includes standing in the bed. You are permitted to hunt using the vehicle as a rest.Jul 21, 2014"

Depends on if your game warden wants to read the letter or the intent of the law.

Last edited by kellory; 12/13/18.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Define vehicle? If its pulled title and past salvage, I'd find a hard time believing that it would stand up as a vehicle in a court of law in that instance.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Define vehicle? If its pulled title and past salvage, I'd find a hard time believing that it would stand up as a vehicle in a court of law in that instance.

You want to bet against a bueracrat definition of a vehicle? Good luck, because that's a special kind of stupid. (Them, not you, but they write the rules)

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you have to feed a animal to kill it,its not hunting.legal or not. its not hunting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So food plots for wildlife are fine, you just shouldn't hunt near them? What about hunting around mast-producing trees that were purposely planted, or placing a stand where it adjoins a corn/soybean field? Not hunting either? I can't really get on board with that, but to each his own. Food appeals to a deer's stomach, much in the way scent lures appeal to his nose, grunt calls and rattling appeal to his ears, doe decoys appeal to his eyes, and bedding areas appeal to his fatigued nervous system.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck hunting in that parking lot. Because when you discount everything a deer might eat want or travel near by habit, that's about all you have left. Makes more sense to use what you know draws them.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PS....

SSE... use a potato peeler for slicing those apples paper thin while walking it to your stand.

AND.... always have a doe-in-can bleat call... blow through the bottom,for louder volume, or simply turn it over for lesser volume... probably 3-5 times, every 15-20 minutes... I've killed a lot of bucks and does with this simple call, from Sept-Jan. It will NOT spook deer. Sometimes they come... sometimes they ignore it, but they don't spook... you can't blow it too much.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
if you have to feed a animal to kill it,its not hunting.legal or not. its not hunting

Always LMAO when this comes up. hunt an oak tree ok, hunt a food plot or feeder not. Its the same regardless.

Like bullet choice, women choice, if its legal, then I'm ok with your choice even though I may disagree. So whether folks think its hunting or not shouldn't even apply. Much like my opinion that if you are using anything other than an iron sighted black powder or bow, you aint hunting either, simply killing, cause its way to easy to kill em with a scope sighted rifle to ridiculous distances.

Whats really funny though, some of the holier than folks think if folks don't do it their way they are failures. Well, we use feeders where everyone else does, or you are behind the curve some days. We have feeders and food plots at home but rarely ever hunt them. We see enough deer daily on their travel routes to not have to worry, but oh the horror, I cull out bucks and coyotes at times, by poking a rifle out the side door of the house... Then we've hunted many other states where feeding isn't legal or used. And guess what, we've done just fine in those states too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Sometimes trying something just a little different works. An old friend killed the best buck of his hunting career by doing that.

Said every deer gun season he sat on the ground in the same spot at the base of the same big old thick tree at the top of a ridge line and watched the same gully below.. He killed deer but no big ones.

Opener a few years back he said when he got to his usual spot on an impulse he decided to sit on the opposite side of the same tree and watch in that direction. BOOM! Down it went. Nice old mature buck too.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
SSE... use a potato peeler for slicing those apples paper thin while walking it to your stand.

another great idea

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
An uncle who passed away showed me his Garand he used for deer hunting, he modified the stock a bit, had one of those flip over scope mounts for in close.

Anyway, old school. He hunted great whitetail farm habitat, never shot a doe, it was considered unethical.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A thing to remember about patterning a buck, is he is patterning you as well. Folks are just as much a creature of habit, as deer are.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We aren't allowed much locally, but I love to hunt a differnet spot each hunt. Love sitting under a tree with Carolyn and Tiger. Play the wind, get a good vantage. Enjoy. You never know whats next and less boring than sitting the same spot all the time.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
#1 Hunt were there are lots of Deer #2 Stay Warm spend what ever it takes..... on warm clothes and boots and gloves....Because if you not warm....you not Hunt long....You can kill a deer with a cheap gun......But you will not keep your feet warm and dry with a cheap pair of boots....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
This is a secret only for those who are willing to wait for that big one to come out. I know this secret to be an absolute FACT! If you want to kill a big buck, you MUST hunt where they are at!

thanks, but i got that covered

actually, i've only seen two bucks in December...they don't move like they do during the rut

Post rut is when the real hunting begins. When they are all doped up on hormones its easy. A deer that isnt chasing tail and horny is a lot more wary of whats going on.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.