Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought one of the 6x36mm Leupold scopes on sale with the wide duplex that, like everyone here, I didn't want. The sale price was right, though. I intended to change it later to a #4 or a heavy duplex. After trying it out, I'm leaving it alone. I don't see any disadvantage to it in the hunting/shooting I do. There's not much of a difference between the wide duplex and the standard duplex, at least to me. The pig I shot awhile back didn't notice. There'll be more pigs in the near future.

Maybe we overthink this stuff. It's just an aiming device. We all have our preferences though, and that's a good thing. If I could name my favorite reticle, it would be the slightly heavier Z-plex that Zeiss puts on its scopes. I also like the #4 on the Swaros and Meoptas.

I'll continue to shoot the 6x36mm with the wide duplex and see if my mind changes; I have several spare scopes I can replace it with. The experimentation is what makes this game interesting. Only downside now is that Leupold is charging me mucho for the option to change.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/21/18.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was thinking about buying a Leupold with wide duplex. After the comments made here I'm not.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I used to completely agree that the wide duplex was a poor second choice. Then I started using the wide duplex in the field and now prefer it over the standard. It is a better low light reticle as the crosshairs are a bit thicker. The standard duplex in a 4x has a 6 min opening center to post and that can be useful though, for big game that is the only reason to prefer it I can see. I have 12 leupold 4x scopes, 9 are FXII. In the FXII 2 are duplex and 3 are wide duplex (just received a new one yesterday). The other 4 have in my opinion the best reticle offered the post and duplex. 2 of those I ordered directly from the custom shop and 2 were reticle changes. Probably will not do any more reticle changes with the price increase. The post and duplex is like a thick #4, not quite as heavy as the heavy duplex. It is a great woods reticle and still ok for even a 300 yard shot on deer size game.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MikeHPa
It is a better low light reticle

THIS. next to an illuminated reticle, the HDs are the preferred choice if many PHs (including our own JJHACK) for low light cat hunts.

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/21/18.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by MikeHPa
It is a better low light reticle

THIS. next to an illuminated reticle, the HDs are the preferred choice if many PHs (including our own JJHACK) for low light cat hunts.

HD is Heavy Duplex, and I prefer it and the regular duplex to the wide duplex being discussed here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I posted this on 11/16 to "Leupold Optics" comment 2 days earlier on the thread re: 2-7x Freedom vs Redfield. They must be on vacation, no reply:

"While you are listening to Consumers - you might tell your management that MOST people who have used the WIDE DUPLEX would MUCH Rather have a Standard Duplex in the FX-II and FX-3 Matte scopes, and that is is completely RIDICULOUS to offer a Duplex in the Gloss, but not in the matte.

People do not opt for a different reticle based on the finish. This poor decision for Leupold to do this, and have continuing doing this, when I read dozens of folks wishing for a plain Duplex, shows Leupold does not want to give shooters what they want.........Even Weaver has a standard plex reticle for half the cost."

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If it wasn't for the lit Firedot I would have never kept the VX 5 HD with it's misrepresented Duplex with the new "improved" wide version.

[Linked Image]

The picture on the box it came in:

[Linked Image]

In reality the width ratio is about the same but the heavy section is needlessly thinned down so much as to defeat it's purpose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
I posted this on 11/16 to "Leupold Optics" comment 2 days earlier on the thread re: 2-7x Freedom vs Redfield. They must be on vacation, no reply:

"While you are listening to Consumers - you might tell your management that MOST people who have used the WIDE DUPLEX would MUCH Rather have a Standard Duplex in the FX-II and FX-3 Matte scopes, and that is is completely RIDICULOUS to offer a Duplex in the Gloss, but not in the matte.

People do not opt for a different reticle based on the finish. This poor decision for Leupold to do this, and have continuing doing this, when I read dozens of folks wishing for a plain Duplex, shows Leupold does not want to give shooters what they want.........Even Weaver has a standard plex reticle for half the cost."

IIRC, "Leupold Optics" stated from the first that he/she/it wouldn't respond or engage with members here; a one-way "information" source only. Given the flaying reps from other companies have received here, I can understand why they took that path, but not why they even bother to have such a presence. Better to just stay away, IMHO, and deal with folks through customer service or their website.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear you, Leupold has heard this repeated by many folks, online, phone, etc. They just do not want to listen.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have the Wide Duplex in the FXII 2.5x20 Ultra Light scope and I THINK IT IS PERFECT FOR THAT SCOPE.

Now every time I say that on this forum I get the same responses, that I don't know what a good reticle is, blah, blah, blah. Each time I know the poster has never looked thru a 2.5x20 Ultra Light with the Wide Duplex.

I would not have the wide duplex in the other offerings, way too thin to use in poor light. With the 2.5 Ultra Light you can see the reticle way before and after legal shooting light, even in the thick woods.

FX-II 4X with Wide Duplex subtension = 0.8"
FX-II 6X with Wide Duplex subtension = 0.5"

FX3 6X with Wide Duplex subtension = 0.5"

FX3 6X with Heavy Duplex subtension = 1.0"

Now the FXII 2.5X Ultra Light subtension = 1.4"

FXII 2.5 with Heavy Duplex subtension = Approx. 3.0" ( I don't have exact figure but too thick for me)

As you can see the wide reticle in the 2.5X Ultra light is almost three (3) times thicker than the FXII or FX3 6X scope, 75% thicker than the FXII 4X with the wide duplex, and is 40% thicker than the FX3 with the HEAVY DUPLEX.

If you purchase a FXII 2.5 Ultra Light the wide duplex will do what you want to do.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a FX 2.5 on a Marlin 357. Worked at dusk thirty in the woods on a deer. 75 yds but faded on a dark coon that same evening. A 4 or 6x would have been preferred. Long ago used a heavy post duplex M8 6x42. Worked great in low light. Had a M8 in 2.5 on a 22 and the duplex
Worked fine at dusk on tree squirrels. Not any application I can prefer a Wide Duplex.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, I'm here to tell you guys that the HD option makes it easier to see the crosshairs at last light. Both of my 375 H&Hs have them on a VX3 1.75X6X32

Well, reluctantly, I have to admit you've got something there. I took my 2-10 outside this morning about 7:15 and was able to see the crosshairs of that Duplex just fine, even in the deepest shadows I could find, at every magnification. That's a pretty bright scope. I have some 30mm rings in the pipe and will try it out on my Fieldcraft later this week for the doe season. I scoped some on Friday with the Tract, but held off hoping all that cervid pulchritude woud attract a buck. Now the grace period is over. The VX5 is a bit shorter and lighter than the Tract, and easier to get behind at higher mags. So far, I've yet to hear of a mechanical failure of one, so will give it a swing. It's certainly better-looking than the Tract, which is a bit odd to my old fart taste.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If at all possible the German so called "4A" is the best Ive ever used. The fine cross-wire is perfect for any tack driving requirement, and the heavy crazy thick duplex is visible in any dark conditions I've ever hunted in. I shot a Hyena with this design at 12:04am with only a 3/4 moon, no electric light at 50 yards no problem. It was easy to see... aim.. and make the perfect shot.

The standard Leupold heavy duplex is good if there is not going to be long distance shooting (250-300 yards or further). If that is the case than the crosshairs cover too much of the target. If I recall the intersection of the crosshairs covered about 5-6" of the aim-point. If that level of precision is okay with you than its perfect. I'm using this rifle for so many varied applications that 6" of coverage is too much for me.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If I recall correctly, in the 6x42 Leupold the "thin" part of the Heavy Duplex subtends an inch at 100 yards, so is 2" at 200, 3" at 300, etc. I tried it but never found any apparent advantage over the standard Duplex except at closer ranges in VERY dim light, and even then could generally use the standard model fine.

In second-plane variables, of course, the subtension will vary....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...Do know one guy who prefers the WD to the standard Duplex because the crosshairs are a little heavier. Apparently he's still wandering in the 1950's.

My Leupold VX-5 2-10 has the wide duplex with the heavier crosshairs. It's on a Tikka T3x 6.5 CM and I've found it okay on more precise long range shots at deer. Haven't used it deer hunting in the bush yet though.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.