Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoppe's #9 must have rust prevention qualities. That was all we used when I was a kid for inside the gun as well as the outside. None of those guns ever had rust. My oldest is 46 years old and then my dads old guns and I couldn't tell you how old they are.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
EEZOX has worked well as rust prevention even in the deepest darkest Wisconsin north woods, and I've never seen it effect either point of impact or group size.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
I've always wondered what people think they mean when they talk about "seasoning" the bore. What exactly do you think Hoppe's #9 is doing to your bore to "season" it? It sure doesn't work in the sense of seasoning a cast iron skillet, and we're not talking about food seasoning, so ??
Also, Hoppe's #9 has zero rust prevention qualities, which is easy to test yourself on a bare piece of steel.

It says on the bottle for cleaning and preventing rust in rifles, shotguns and pistols. Sure there might be products that work better to prevent rust but do they change point of impact? Hoppe's #9 doesn't change my point of impact and my 500 yd groups are also tighter. In fact some bench rest shooters swear by it. At the end of the day regardless what rust preventative I'm useing if my rifle gets soaked I run a rag over it and a patch thru the bore. Hoppe's #9 has proved to be more than sufficient providing propor gun maintenance is followed. And......it doesn't change point of impact IME

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree that Hoppes #9 works but the only lubricant/rust preventative in it is Kerosene. This is why I mostly use other products even if they throw the first shot slightly more. I will take the trade off if it will still produce a group of an inch or less.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rem oil

IC B2

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Rem oil

This is one that would definitely throw my first shot if it is the Teflon version. If I dried the bore to the point first shot impact wasn't affected I always wondered if there was still enough Rem Oil left to do anything? Rifles vary so not unusual that it works for you but not me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Stainless steel barrel with a fouled bore & tape of your color over the muzzle. I always hunt with a fouled bore, smokeless powder residue is a great rust preventative and yes, people do clean their rifles too much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.