Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So apart from a suppressor for external noise, something that makes good sense, how do you stop hearing damage to the cochlear from the vibration on firing that travels through the stock (something apparently exaggerated with fiberglass stocks) and which travels through the cheek/jaw into the cochlear? Good earplugs, muffs, and a suppressor can't change that damage...

Thoughts?

The answer there is to stop shooting guns. Or just not worry about it, because there's no simple solution, at least that I know of!

I suppose given that, I really don't understand the current obsession with suppressors, unless cutting down on noise for the neighbors is the goal (which is the reason for their use in Britain). A worthy goal, but one that is meaningless for me in my area of Montana.

Seems to me, being properly muffed is good enough for muzzle blast, given that blast vibration is apparently an unconquerable culprit.

One good friend, who shoots A LOT and is right handed, has the bulk of his hearing loss in his right ear, not left. Of course, if hearing damage were from muzzle blast, the left ear would have been the most affected. The answer is cochlear damage in the right ear from blast vibration through the stock into the jaw and cheek...

I’d like to see a study or at least some sort of substantive evidence regarding the vibration through the stock causing hearing loss. There was a study referenced by Seafire around the time of his meltdown, but he also mentioned U of M in Billings, so such a study may not exist, since such a college does not exist. Personally, I have doubts as to whether stock vibration makes up a large percentage of hearing loss in shooters, but that’s not to say it doesn’t have some effect. Would really like to see some good data either way.

The use of a suppressor is the single greatest improvement I’ve made to my hunting and shooting since I first picked up a gun. If a small percentage of hearing is still lost through stock vibration, it will be minuscule compared to the hearing lost from shooting unsuppressed, where I usually try and wear hearing protection - but it doesn’t always happen, especially on a big game hunt.

The reaction of animals (or lack thereof) at the shot helps tremendously when shooting multiple animals, or if one misses a shot. In the case of varmints, predators, and doe/cow hunts, the ability to get a second or multiple shots off can be a huge advantage. Even in situations where only one animal is being shot, I’ve seen the other animals in a herd just mosey off as if nothing happened, instead of fleeing the scene. That sort of reaction is nice to keep a herd of game on your place to keep them from being annihilated by the neighbors, or simply to make less of an impact on a herd in general - no sense in riling up animals for no reason.

A suppressor also significantly decreases recoil, and frankly just makes shooting fun again. If my hunting consisted of one or two big game animals a year, I probably wouldn’t bother, but for all year shooting on different species, a suppressor is really handy.

Quite frankly, I now consider a suppressor to be indispensable.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=BradSeems to me, being properly muffed is good enough for muzzle blast, given that blast vibration is apparently an unconquerable culprit.

One good friend, who shoots A LOT and is right handed, has the bulk of his hearing loss in his right ear, not left. Of course, if hearing damage were from muzzle blast, the left ear would have been the most affected. The answer is cochlear damage in the right ear from blast vibration through the stock into the jaw and cheek...[/quote]

Agree with you Brad when shooting in a static situation... at the range, I use muff's on a suppressed centerfire. For hunting I gave up trying to wear electronic muffs or electronic in ear protectors and use a suppressor.

Got to ask if your friends shooting includes a lot of semi-auto? As anyone who has shot bolt and semi-auto's suppressed will tell you, semi-auto's are not as quiet... the additional 'noise' is coming out of the ejection port.

With the hearing loss I have managed to accumuate over the years... my only regret is that I did not plunk down the money and buy suppressors thirty years ago.

Your hearing is priceless and once lost you will never recover it. I have never met anyone with hearing aids that thought they were as good as their original hearing. And 'Good' hearing aids are a hell of lot more expensive than a titanium centerfire suppressor.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve shot so much with a suppressor over the past couple of years... that I’m often surprised at how loud an unsuppressed rifle shot really is.

There’s another factor to “hearing loss” associated with shooting.... and that is the muzzle blasts impact on your Mastoid Cavity. The Mastoid Cavity is located behind your nose and below your eyes. I get horrible headaches after shooting several rounds through guns with muzzle brakes, due mostly to the increased blast impact to my face. Suppressors completely eliminate all the muzzle blast, thereby eliminating all the “noise impact” to the soft tissue inside your head.

Reduction in recoil, and reduction in muzzle blast... is certainly a win/win for your hearing.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How loud they are is quite variable. Subs are a lot quieter than supersonic. Large cartridges are going to make more noise, how much is another discussion IMO. Here's one that gives a clue........

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I’d like to see a study or at least some sort of substantive evidence regarding the vibration through the stock causing hearing loss. There was a study referenced by Seafire around the time of his meltdown, but he also mentioned U of M in Billings, so such a study may not exist, since such a college does not exist. Personally, I have doubts as to whether stock vibration makes up a large percentage of hearing loss in shooters, but that’s not to say it doesn’t have some effect. Would really like to see some good data either way.

Prarie Goat,

Yes I do not know about 'stock vibration' and also question that.

Primary reason being there is no blast inside of the gun... it all occurs as the bullet exits the barrel, which is what a suppressor mutes.

But will add that the last hearing test I had (this year) they put the headphones on the bone behind my ear and not over the ear to test my hearing. This is more relevant to the use of earplugs or electronic earbuds than the use of muff's or a suppressor.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If it isn’t a sub sonic load, it doesn’t quiet the round that much. My sub-sonic loads are very quiet, about like a BB gun

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Yondering

You should probably remove the muffler from your car too, and just wear hearing protection when you drive it. wink

Hard to know how to respond to such an off-base statement.

Can a running automobile give you hearing damage through vibration? Does a single shot over a milli-second equate to a continuously running vehicle?

I could go on with analogies to your apples/oranges statement, but you get the point. Or maybe you don't...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by hanco
If it isn’t a sub sonic load, it doesn’t quiet the round that much. My sub-sonic loads are very quiet, about like a BB gun

If your suppressor doesn't "quiet the round that much," then your can is broken.....

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Yondering

You should probably remove the muffler from your car too, and just wear hearing protection when you drive it. wink

Hard to know how to respond to such an off-base statement.

Can a running automobile give you hearing damage through vibration? Does a single shot over a milli-second equate to a continuously running vehicle?

I could go on with analogies to your apples/oranges statement, but you get the point. Or maybe you don't...

I get the point just fine, it's you that's way off base. We're talking about quieting the noise of a gunshot, while you're trying to say we might as well not bother since there are other paths to hearing damage. It's irrelevant, and quieting the gunshot is still helpful regardless of your other concerns.

I honestly don't care what you think about it or what you use; you seem to be just another of those type who will argue about anything that's not the way they do it. Carry on doing it your way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I’ve shot so much with a suppressor over the past couple of years... that I’m often surprised at how loud an unsuppressed rifle shot really is.

Reduction in recoil, and reduction in muzzle blast... is certainly a win/win for your hearing.

I "hear" you DS... smile

Yes, after shooting suppressed, regular recoil and noise seem obnoxious as hell when shooting un-suppressed .

And a suppressor really does put the fun back into shooting.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This father/son double was good example of how game spooks less from suppressed gunshots.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muley and a Whitetail in the field together? 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd say my .308 and 6.5s suppressed are similar to bulk box HV .22 lr from an unsupressed carbine, maybe with a bit less blast. My stumpy '06 has a little more bark than the others, but certainly doesn't rise to the level of a .22 mag, to my ears. I actually don't think my suppressed .22 mag is much, if at all quieter than my .308 with a can mounted.

With unsuppressed rifles, I pretty much always double up on ear pro at the range. All of my supressed rifles are very pleasant to shoot with only plugs, for as many rounds as I care to fire. This year was the first year that I took all of my big game with a can, and it was awesome, no ringing, the bullet impacts sound so loud!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.