Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DMc
Dang I see a use for that bad boy, right behind you at the bottom of the fence.

Naah, I ain't gonna stick a yappy dog for doing his job, but I could if I wanted. Actually, I see that long pointy attachment more as a tool for stopping intruders before they actually become intruders cool

....and just as an aside, the Brown Bess was likely the primary weapon for both sides at the Alamo.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was speaking about weed eating....

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Victorinox Classic and attached P38 can opener... because nothing can ruin a good bug-out quite like a bad pedicure or stubborn can of caviar.

[Linked Image]

I was reading this thread with dismay. Then I read your post and got a good, and needed, laugh!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DMc

thanks for clearing that up.....I have been looking for that dog for a long time...…..bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Upon reading this thread I realized I **NEEDED** a bug out knife, quick grin

Just flipped the switch on a Mora Bushcraft Orange.... about $40 delivered, highly rated fer the money.

[Linked Image]

'course, the day-glo orange is gonna make it that much harder to sneak up on an unsuspecting enemy but I just hate losing stuff in the woods.

Anyhoo.... I have my assorted Alamo hardware fer serious business....

"Long distance, the next best thing to being there"...

[Linked Image]

Actually Birdie I see you as more a vintage Randall sort of fellow...something along the line of a stag 50's 7-4 in a Heiser.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by DMc

thanks for clearing that up.....I have been looking for that dog for a long time...…..bob

I couldn't figure what the reference was to. Most of that broadleaf stuff along the fenceline is actually an ornamental plant down here, but below my left elbow in the gap in the fence I thought I made out the ear, eye and nose of the little brown mutt that lives next door to my ex-BiL's house where this photo was taken (we still get along and his teenage son likes firearms and shooting, I brung the musket over on Thanksgiving to show him. Range session to follow.).

Point of interest the bayonet is actually triangular, triangular blades are easier to pull out from the other guy than flat blades and also make a wound that doesn't close easily. So while I could aerate the soil real well with it, chopping weeds would be tough.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
What if you are already "out"? Is there a bug back in option? And if so, does it require a bag?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
What if you are already "out"? Is there a bug back in option? And if so, does it require a bag?

Rubbermaid bin.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Upon reading this thread I realized I **NEEDED** a bug out knife, quick grin

Just flipped the switch on a Mora Bushcraft Orange.... about $40 delivered, highly rated fer the money.

[Linked Image]

'course, the day-glo orange is gonna make it that much harder to sneak up on an unsuspecting enemy but I just hate losing stuff in the woods.

Anyhoo.... I have my assorted Alamo hardware fer serious business....

"Long distance, the next best thing to being there"...

[Linked Image]

Actually Birdie I see you as more a vintage Randall sort of fellow...something along the line of a stag 50's 7-4 in a Heiser.

Well tks, excellent knives, beautiful too, but do they come in blaze orange?

Over the years, especially when doing bird surveys, I got to the point that I would tie short lengths of orange flagging tape to my compass, binocs, keys, GPS etc before setting off for a long day in the woods, all the stuff I picked up and set down regularly. During the course of long, hot days in the brush spent in sort of a hurry, fatigue would set in and once in a while I'd forget something and have to go back for it. Ya ever try to find a RealTree wallet sitting on leaf litter? grin Worst ever was when I set down a brand new $500 pair of premium Romanian (??) military optics down when I sat down to rest on a steep rocky hillside in 105F heat and didn't realize I no longer had them until I was about 200 yards of thick brush away. Never could find them again, and that was only the second or third time I had even used them.

Actually, with the Mora I think a blaze orange sheath too is a bit much but I could switch that out later.

I wasn't aware of Mora knives until this thread, I'm impressed; no bullspit, well thought-out tools for use in the woods. Turns out not everything inexpensive is cheap.

Maybe fifty years ago in England I bought a sheath knife (as we called 'em back then) for my older brother, it has a laminate wooden handle topped with a brass horse's head, no crossguard at all. Something was etched on the blade in small script rather than block letters. He still has it, he's up in NY State but based upon the blade shape and general configuration I believe its prob'ly a Mora. I believe it came from Sweden and even back then I was surprised at the relatively low cost for the quality.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Rubbermaid bin.

What does one put in the bug in bag? EBT card?

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Great suggestions here cool

Question: Many knives are sold in two versions; plain edge or with a serrated section usually at the base of the blade.

I'm looking for pros and cons of this serrated section, years ago it was said that Cops and EMT's carried serrated-edge Spydercos to cut seat belts.

Does a serrated edge belong on a hunting/bugout/general purpose knife?

The big advantage to a serrated edge is that as it dulls, it still has a lot of utility as it acts like a half ass saw blade.

If you have the means to keep them sharp they are invaluable and can shave hair the same as a straight edge.

The 50/50 style is viewed as a compromise and probably serves people that can’t or won’t sharpen a knife fairly well. But if both styles are kept sharp you won’t find a real big difference between serrated and straight edge.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mora’s are ok knives and work pretty well. But they are a bit trendy and if you spend a lot of time with one you’ll find them lacking.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KaBar. Doesn’t come in orange.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Never found the KBar to be a real versatile design.

I’m sure it works great for killing people though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe fifty years ago in England I bought a sheath knife (as we called 'em back then) for my older brother, it has a laminate wooden handle topped with a brass horse's head, no crossguard at all. Something was etched on the blade in small script rather than block letters. He still has it, he's up in NY State but based upon the blade shape and general configuration I believe its prob'ly a Mora. I believe it came from Sweden and even back then I was surprised at the relatively low cost for the quality.

Horse Head Puukko

These are still being made, ... in Finland. Ragweed Forge has them for sale.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mora utility. Best $7 you'll ever spend.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My pickup is my bug out bag, if I need it, it's somewhere in there.

But I do have a Kifaru E&E bag in there that keeps all the goodies that could get me thrown in jail on some of my travels. (Army base) If my truck breaks down, I can grab the pack a few other essentials and get home if need be.

Oh and a Cold Steel Master Hunter is in the bag.

Last edited by TWR; 12/07/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Great suggestions here cool

Question: Many knives are sold in two versions; plain edge or with a serrated section usually at the base of the blade.

I'm looking for pros and cons of this serrated section, years ago it was said that Cops and EMT's carried serrated-edge Spydercos to cut seat belts.

Does a serrated edge belong on a hunting/bugout/general purpose knife?

The big advantage to a serrated edge is that as it dulls, it still has a lot of utility as it acts like a half ass saw blade.

If you have the means to keep them sharp they are invaluable and can shave hair the same as a straight edge.

The 50/50 style is viewed as a compromise and probably serves people that can’t or won’t sharpen a knife fairly well. But if both styles are kept sharp you won’t find a real big difference between serrated and straight edge.

Tks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Walker

Horse Head Puukko

These are still being made, ... in Finland. Ragweed Forge has them for sale.

Tks, that's the one. Apparently these things are/were a big deal in Finnish and regional Nordic culture...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko

In Finland, receiving a puukko as a gift is considered an honor, the idea being that the presenter is giving the recipient a tool which is essential for both woodworking and preparing food and as a weapon and that the presenter takes into account the well-being of the recipient.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well tks, excellent knives, beautiful too, but do they come in blaze orange?

Over the years, especially when doing bird surveys, I got to the point that I would tie short lengths of orange flagging tape to my compass, binocs, keys, GPS etc before setting off for a long day in the woods, all the stuff I picked up and set down regularly. During the course of long, hot days in the brush spent in sort of a hurry, fatigue would set in and once in a while I'd forget something and have to go back for it. Ya ever try to find a RealTree wallet sitting on leaf litter? grin Worst ever was when I set down a brand new $500 pair of premium Romanian (??) military optics down when I sat down to rest on a steep rocky hillside in 105F heat and didn't realize I no longer had them until I was about 200 yards of thick brush away. Never could find them again, and that was only the second or third time I had even used them.

Actually, with the Mora I think a blaze orange sheath too is a bit much but I could switch that out later.

I wasn't aware of Mora knives until this thread, I'm impressed; no bullspit, well thought-out tools for use in the woods. Turns out not everything inexpensive is cheap.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (163bc, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,471
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.