-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I curse the day I discovered the Optics Forum. For over 50 years I handedly shot Alaska's big game critters with "set and forget" scopes and most of them were Leupold's. Now I want more reticle choices and I am leaning towards the Boone & Crockett style of reticle for 2nd focal plane scopes. I like the TMR in the 3-9 VXR Patrol I got a few months ago and I am learning where the bullets land on 3 and 9 power. This scope is currently on a Tikka 6.5 Creed and like it so much I thought about getting another for my .338.

What is the lightest 1st focal plane dialing scope with the best eye relief that I can stick on my .338 Winny. I am just not content with the VX5-HD with the Wide Duplex. The glass is plenty clear for any thing I do, but Leupold won't offer any other reticle choices so I am replacing it.

My ideal reticle would be close to a German #4 with B&C hash marks and an option for illuminating the center, some thing in the 2-10x40 to 44 mm range. It would be perfect for late night moose hunts.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't think of any first focal plane ballistic reticles that resemble a German #4. You may want to look at the Nightforce 3-10 SHV or 2.5-10 NXS. They are second focal plane, but the IHR (International Hunter Reticle) is somewhat like a #4 with center illumination. I have two of them and they work well.

The 3-9x42 SS is first focal plane, but it is not illuminated, and the reticle is not what you describe. 3" of eye relief is less than ideal on a 338 as well.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I looked at that reticle in Sportsmen's and was concerned about it showing up in low light. Maybe if it was illuminated it would.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If Vortex would come out with an illuminated FFP version of their G4 It would be perfect for what you are asking for. As it is, their 2-10x40 and 3-15x42 in the Razor HD LH line with the G4 reticles are awesome, especially at Amazon’s current pricing.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I can't stand a heavy duplex reticle when I'm scanning the brush looking for an ear or an antler. OTOH I want to be able to see it in low light. The illuminated reticle gives you the best of both worlds.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Light weight and FFP illumination don't go together.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not exactly what you're looking for, but the NX8 1-8x24 is a nice little scope with a fairly bold, illuminated, FFP reticle. Scope is fairly light compared to a lot of overbuilt scopes. The objective is a fair bit smaller than what you've mentioned though.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
I can't stand a heavy duplex reticle when I'm scanning the brush looking for an ear or an antler. OTOH I want to be able to see it in low light. The illuminated reticle gives you the best of both worlds.

It seems a binocular may work good for that....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I think I looked at that reticle in Sportsmen's and was concerned about it showing up in low light. Maybe if it was illuminated it would.

The reticle is a good one illuminated, only the center crosshair illuminates and it is not overpowering. Set on one of the lower settings it works extremely well in dim light. Not everyone likes it but I like the IHR reticle and it has been a great choice for me. We have 3 on different rifles in our household.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Find a Leupold VX6 2-12x42 with illuminated long range duplex reticle. Second focal plane, but covers most of your bases...

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Cannot be of any help as to the dialing, hash marks, or lightweight.
My low light moose hunts are dictated by the terrain that I hunt and the ability to identify brow tines. My maximum distance for shooting would be about 200 meters.
More limiting for me is the ability to identify the legality and have time for a shot through openings in the spruce / alder patches.
The Schmidt & Bender Stratos 1st focal, 1.5-8x42mm with a FD 4 reticle seems to put me well past the dark time that I care to be stumbling back to camp. I hunted with this scope this year and see where the magnification and illumination have some advantages. Prior to this, I have used 1st focal 1.1-4x24's and 1.5-6x42's. The S&B has more f.o.v. than my 1.5-6's and the 2x increase may be helpful at times.

The search for the perfect scope, rifle, cartridge, and combination thereof can be never ending.
I have the 1.5-8x42 on the 375 Ruger that I used this year and on a 416 Ruger. I left it on the 416 after checking some handloads at the range. The 20" barrel rifle actually handles well with it on.
The one on the 375 will stay, but I am leaning toward going back to a straight tube on the 416. It will be illuminated.

Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I curse the day I discovered the Optics Forum. For over 50 years I handedly shot Alaska's big game critters with "set and forget" scopes and most of them were Leupold's. Now I want more reticle choices and I am leaning towards the Boone & Crockett style of reticle for 2nd focal plane scopes. I like the TMR in the 3-9 VXR Patrol I got a few months ago and I am learning where the bullets land on 3 and 9 power. This scope is currently on a Tikka 6.5 Creed and like it so much I thought about getting another for my .338.

What is the lightest 1st focal plane dialing scope with the best eye relief that I can stick on my .338 Winny. I am just not content with the VX5-HD with the Wide Duplex. The glass is plenty clear for any thing I do, but Leupold won't offer any other reticle choices so I am replacing it.

My ideal reticle would be close to a German #4 with B&C hash marks and an option for illuminating the center, some thing in the 2-10x40 to 44 mm range. It would be perfect for late night moose hunts.

G
G
Take a look at the S&B Summit 2.5x10x40 second focal plane.

Last edited by gfulton; 12/08/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.