Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
The Canon 10-18mm (I own it) would not be in my top list of lens for a trip like that but it is a very lightweight lens and a starting point to help her decide what she may like. Also keep in mind that that lens will not work on a FF (APS-C only). If budget is a concern and if I were in her/your shoes, I would be looking for a used quality lens. I also do not put much stock in the big name online sites for reviews. Take a look on Youtube and look at many "reviews" to make your own educated consensus. https://photography-on-the.net/forum is an excellent site to look for info.

FWIW -- I own many lens from 10mm up to the 500mm F4 II and like all of these "if you could pick just one ABCD" thread, I would pick the 70-200mm F2.8 II (paired with a 7DII).

I'm sure she would love that lens but its over $1000 used from what I can find. She will have to save a lot longer! Thanks for input though I will check youtube.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look for a used 24-70 F4 or 70-200 F4, both are excellent and quite affordable. For a first lens, I would highly recommend the 24-70 f4.

And for 3rd party lens, Tamron is excellent and nearly on par with the Canon equivalent but at 2/3 (or less) the cost of a Canon.

Last edited by FAIR_CHASE; 12/20/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stickfight
So do you like the APS-H because you don't want to spend so much time in post cropping?

I seem to always want full frame for the lenses I have.

APS-H long had the advantage in both frame rate and buffer depth. Backing away from schit,is often wayyyyyyyyy easier than getting closer. Hint.

The 1DX and DX2,now both curtail some advantages,as well as offer greater ISO depth.

I need/love 1D-Series build quality and battery life and if a 1D5 were unveiled in the morning,it'd be headed my way by 'Noon. Never could like extenders and even when gunning big whites of the 600 and 800mm focal length,I wanna drive APS-H over FF...mainly because I shoot both.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jberry
My college daughter has a Canon 60D that she loves. We are going to Disney after Christmas and she mentioned that she might like a new lens to use while we are there. She is on a "college budget" so isn't looking for anything super expensive but would love suggestions on good option for dark/light, people/landscape, etc lenses.

If you know of any used deals she would be interested in that also. Thanks

Bang for the buck,a new Canon P&S will cover all the bases..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Every aspirig Canon shooter should have a 50/1.8, The Tamron mid length zoom should follow, then a bargain used 70-200 non IS. From there one can branch out according to taste and discipline.

NRA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Plastic Fantastic,is an EASY pass.

The 70-200 non-IS comes in multiple flavors and the application,along with ISO capabilities of the body,would help dictate that selection. There's no fhuqking way I'd skirt a 70-200L 2.8 IS (2),over Lesser Turds...no matter the canon body or sensor size.

Hint.....................

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I dont assume everyone has a level of commitment that dictates getting the latest and greatest. Some are just figuring out if this is something they are interested in. For 50 bucks at the used shop someone can explore for quite some time what big aperture primes are about. Similarly one is better getting a deal (sub 1k) on a non IS canon 70-200 2.8 than squandering it on something lime the f4 or off brand. If they like it and use it it's something that can be moved to upgrade to an IS model. Nothing about the body will get you the benefits of the wide open apperture and that focal length is one of the least useful for IS. Go spend 6k is an easy reccomendation.

NRA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody "recommended",nor "thought" to spend 6K...besides you and your "suprise" at that revelation,really shouldn't be. Hint.

Tammie has yet to make anything worth a fhuqk. As 3rd party goes,Siggy RULES the roost,routinely slapping the schit outta Canon's "L" wares(ART's in particular). Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint.

I'd MUCH rather have a Canon P&S,than a Canon APS-C DSLR,wearing Coke Bottle "glass".

Re-hint....................

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Interesting thoughts as no manufacturer has a lock on good lens and each makes some beauties, some more than others. If one doesn't need the water or shock proofing the Tamron mid-length zoom is very nice lens for the money. Sigma makes some great glass too but, even Canon isn't a panacea. Brand affiliation isn't going to get one good glass and doubly so when budget is a primary factor. All the off brands including Sigma make some junk.
I'd hardly consider telling an aspiring hobbiest that already owns a 60d to get a PS sound advice. That's an intellectual dead end and a recipe for boredom. There's a whole world of affordable glass to play and grow with.

NRA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tamron is like looking through a dirty windshield,that someone just rubbed Vaseline on it's wipers...and activated same. Hint.

I've a "few" DSLR's and a "few" lenses and have yet to set a P&S on the sidelines. Hint.

The last fhuqking thing I'd do,is swoon schit Riggin' and ask the unsuspecting to procure same. Schit glass is never prudent and bang for the buck versatility,is simply fhuqking OWNED by the P&S.

Your Cluelessness,is consistently hilarious. Congratulations?!?

Hint.............

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cookie hangs with some pros for about 3 weeks each fall. Nikon and Canon prevail. They're all wildlife chasers mostly relying on brand name primes, but a couple have tried the Tamron 150-600's. Likely not a unit the OP is interested in at the moment. Thoughts are it's a great lens for the money, but just a little slow in the first and last hours of the day. Midday they hang with the brand names for image quality, so for one on a budget they get a passing grade. No one's made mention of anything other than the extreme telephoto versions, and there are no Sigma users in the bunch.

To the OP - Hope you have an enjoyable experience. Did Disney World once for 5 days and it was well worth the $$$.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Tammie 600mm,is like "swooning" a Barska 6-36x 52mm scope.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,131
Posts18,483,907
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.