Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
“Don’t call me Shirley.”

No, I prefer 308 Win or 300 WSM.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me as an unashamed user of the good ole ‘06 on deer. It really puts the hurt on deer. There may be other cartridges that are just as good, but IMO, I don’t think you could find one that is better.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have four 30-06s. I will never not have one. I am ashamed to say I have not fired one in over a year.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have four 30-06s. I will never not have one. I am ashamed to say I have not fired one in over a year.

P

I haven't fired one since yesterday smile

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I picked up a 30 06 in a Barrett fieldcraft. Put a Meopta 3-9x40 on it and shot moa or less with a variety of ammo. To keep it simple I settled on the 168 gr ttsx factory with avg groups about 3/4”-1” and now I don’t need all those other rifles in the safe!

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ha! It will never replace my trusty ol’ 30-40 Krag!!!!

(Says the guy with six 30-06’s!)

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by wink_man
Still hunt them with a 30-06, although I'm not much of a bolt guy. And if you rename it the .30 Whelen it makes the cartridge less boring and much more interesting and it still manages to kill them just as dead.
[Linked Image]

I can't believe anyone would use something other than one of these in '06 for anything!

Beautiful stock on this one BTW.

Last edited by Recurve1; 12/10/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think everyone has heard the old saying to be aware of the old guy with 1 gun. If you have a 30-06, one is all you need. The rest are just toys to play with...not that there's anything wrong with just playing. It's just that the 06 will handle everything in the lower 48 and most of the rest of the world to boot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have killed more deer with my 30-06 than all of my other rifles combined. I hunted with my 6.5 Creedmoor this year just to see how it would perform. I got skunked for the first time in quite a few years. I didn't even get a shot at a buck in 9 days of hunting. My conclusion: 6.5 Creedmoor is no good for deer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A Remington 700 in .30-06 gets packed on every big game trip I go on. If not primary, it's a backup. It accounted for a 5 point and a doe so far this fall. And will probably see some action on late winter for crop damage hunts.

It just plain works.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theeck
I have killed more deer with my 30-06 than all of my other rifles combined. I hunted with my 6.5 Creedmoor this year just to see how it would perform. I got skunked for the first time in quite a few years. I didn't even get a shot at a buck in 9 days of hunting. My conclusion: 6.5 Creedmoor is no good for deer.

Fair enough.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I came to the opposite conclusion. I used my 6.5 Creed for the first time this season and killed two with it. It's definitely good for deer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I can't say if I have killed more deer with the 30-06 or my 7x57, both great deer guns.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I came to the opposite conclusion. I used my 6.5 Creed for the first time this season and killed two with it. It's definitely good for deer.

Mine is a Browning X-bolt. Maybe it is just the Brownings in 6.5 Creedmoor that suck at deer hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Mine is a Browning X-bolt. Maybe it is just the Brownings in 6.5 Creedmoor that suck at deer hunting.

LOL . Break a mirror or run over any black cats lately ? I wouldn't give up on it yet. The X-bolts are nice rifles.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

LOL . Break a mirror or run over any black cats lately ? I wouldn't give up on it yet. The X-bolts are nice rifles.

Yeah, maybe I just need to do a renaming ceremony like they do for boats.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

What would we postulate on if we all hunted with a 30 Goverment?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
I can't say if I have killed more deer with the 30-06 or my 7x57, both great deer guns.

Wow, you must be really old. grin

Was watching Roger Raglin today. When asked, “which cartridge is the best for Deer?”, his reply made me laugh. He said, “Friend, you can walk into Bass Pro Shop or your local gun store & they will have dozens, if not hundreds of rifles lined up. Every one of them will kill a Deer stone dead.”

Thought that was funy, yet profound.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used it on deer, elk, moose, antelope, black bears, mtn lion, mtn goat, bighorn sheep, hogs and a bunch of South African plains game. I shoot Winchester Super X 180 grain "Power Point" factory ammo It's a Model 700 Remington topped with a Leupold. I guess I've just been real lucky on all my hunts after reading all about Leupold, factory ammo & bolts falling off on the internet. smile

Last edited by colorado bob; 12/13/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got given to me by my dear old friend a Winchester model 70 pre-64 30-06 and its nice and want to keep it original with the steel butt plate . Here was my problem I had major shoulder surgery on my right shoulder and I don`t think my shoulder was ready for a kick from the steel butt plate. so I used a less recoil rifle that had a rubber pad on it and I shot my biggest buck ever of our family it scored 189 b.c. non-typical dressed 225 lbs. and I sure wished it would have been with the old 30-06 Winchester model 70 !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.