Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A 6x42 has the same exit pupil, is noticably smaller and there are more options. I have an S&B 8x56 that is getting dusty in the basement because of size and weight with the steel body. I would get a Meopta 6x42 over it every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

“Lighten up Francis”
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’d take am 8 power over a 6 power any and every day.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

I agree. When the light is really low, magnification is your friend. I almost never take a shot in low light or moonlight at anything below 8x, and more often than not, I'll have the magnification cranked up to 10x or more. .

Micky-You don't want that scope to get dusty. Send it to me LOL...I'll give it a good home!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by jwp475

I agree. When the light is really low, magnification is your friend. I almost never take a shot in low light or moonlight at anything below 8x, and more often than not, I'll have the magnification cranked up to 10x or more. .

Micky-You don't want that scope to get dusty. Send it to me LOL...I'll give it a good home!

Exactly. I use 10X most of the time.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have never, ever, never found a 6x42 lacking. But you boys keep chasing them unicorns.

Even a 6X FF is pretty damn bright and not lacking after legal hunting hours.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have never, ever, never found a 6x42 lacking. But you boys keep chasing them unicorns.

This here.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For those of you who keep mentioning "6x being bright enough," you're simply not grasping what low-light performance is about and what it requires. Not every animal appears at 50 yards. Take that 6x out on a night when there is diffused moonlight and tell me if that 150 yard hog is perfectly broadside or quartering. Chances are, you won't be able to.

Low-light or moonlight shooting is another game entirely, and unless you've actually gone out and done it, you have no idea. A simple 2x or 3x scope in broad daylight will suffice for just about any shot and out to extended ranges. But in moonlight, that 3x scope will render nothing but an unidentifiable blob when the target appears at 150-175 yards.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For those of you who keep mentioning "6x being bright enough," you're simply not grasping what low-light performance is about and what it requires. Not every animal appears at 50 yards. Take that 6x out on a night when there is diffused moonlight and tell me if that 150 yard hog is perfectly broadside or quartering. Chances are, you won't be able to.

Low-light or moonlight shooting is another game entirely, and unless you've actually gone out and done it, you have no idea. A simple 2x or 3x scope in broad daylight will suffice for just about any shot and out to extended ranges. But in moonlight, that 3x scope will render nothing but an unidentifiable blob when the target appears at 150-175 yards.

Correct, my experience in never having a problem is completely wrong. I'll also admit to no experience shooting critters over a pile of corn at midnight.

I have killed more than a few coyotes at night, albeit the longest was 125 yards or so and no feeders were involved. I'd imagine things are darker in Texas.

I know how dark and eerie those vast forests in west Texas and the Hill country can be. I have no doubt that Texas dark is darker than anyplace else in the world.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You know what they say about those who assume, right Steelhead? For one, I don't shoot anything over a pile of corn. My preferred hunting method was spot and stalk, but I am now disabled and can't get out and do that anymore, so my opportunities are extremely limited. I want to make the most of them, so I have chosen to use an optic that won't let me down. We do live in a remote area, and there are times I am able to snipe a coyote or hog from near the house, but it's usually in poor light or well into the night. I've tried just about every good low-light scope out there and have spent significant time with them. I know what works and what doesn't from personal experience and won't venture an opinion otherwise just to drive my post count up or feed a narcissistic ego.

Nonetheless, you continue to be stuck on "brightness"of a scope and hurling stereotypical schoolyard insults. So be it. But again, I'll say that most modern scopes above the $300 range are amply "bright." But that doesn't mean squat when a scope doesn't have the resolution to render fine detail in twilight, the contrast to allow an adequate separation of tonal ranges, the magnification needed to allow proper target identification or isn't fitted with a reticle suitable for the task.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
For my eyes looking into the tree line at 120 yards with my 1.5 x 6 x 42 Swaro or S&B, 6 power is not quite enough for my eyes after dusk to feel comfortable to make a shot at that distance. My gut is telling me the extra 2 power, combined with the clarity from less lenses in the fixed power, may be just the ticket for reaching further back into the woods for deer at that critical time and popping hogs when they come out.

I have night vision dedicated rifles, they are just a PITA to walk in two rifles to the stand and I would rather hunt through optics any day of the week versus a fuzzy night vision monitor screen.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 12/09/18.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
For my eyes looking into the tree line at 120 yards with my 1.5 x 6 x 42 Swaro or S&B, 6 power is not quite enough for my eyes after dusk to feel comfortable to make a shot at that distance. My gut is telling me the extra 2 power, combined with the clarity from less lenses in the fixed power, may be just the ticket for reaching further back into the woods for deer at that critical time and popping hogs when they come out.

Those are my findings and experiences as well...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

Those are my findings and experiences as well...

Yep it will definately make a difference

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hawke Endurance 8×56 LR DOT #16240 only $189.99, reduced from $249.99 - Down to the last one

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
No hype. I have one (SB 8x56) And, it is NOT for sale.

Last edited by IceCut; 12/11/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MILES58
My favorite scope is a S&B 1.5-6x42.

I'm super interested in this one, not for night hunting. Need to replace quite a few scopes in the near future.

LOL
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Hawke Endurance 8×56 LR DOT #16240 only $189.99, reduced from $249.99 - Down to the last one

Done grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
In dim light/moonlight higher magnification rules. Though a fixed power scope has less lens/more light if the dif is 90-92.5 you cannot tell the difference as you need 3% to notice a change. A recent variable w/IR dot, latest coatings offers wide FOV for general panning and ability to quickly zero in magnification.

The last of two models that started the Sightron Stac line 2014, 2.5-17.5x56 IR dot was discontinued this yr. In 2015 it was offered w/4A IR red dot. Except for the rest of what's left being at least half of the price I couldn't understand its demise.

I have a 8x56 bin from the 70's. Night Owl whose hook line was, "How to see a black cat at night". Not real bad for very limited ocular/objective coating, non-phase coated roof prism w/really narrow FOV. They were MIJ mail order that sold primarily out of outdoor style magazines. If the mag had 110 pgs this ad could be found right around 106.

They definately were never the cat's meow, but they aren't novelty bins.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for everyone's input, pulled the trigger on the S&B 8 x 56. I'll report back with a side by side comparison to other alpha scopes and others and determine if this really is the ultimate optic for low light other than night vision.

Hopefully have it by Christmas.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Done grin

I feel so cheap.....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found 1 more in the warehouse. So don't fret if you thought you missed out. 1 left

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.