Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We still don’t haggle on prices. The stories above are nice, but if you knew the truth you’d laugh out loud! The sales tax thing was illegal, hence the change.

I always got along with Darrel. He’s how I got involved in the business. He was bed ridden during the last part of his life. I got a call one day asking me to come to his house. He asked if I’d be interested in running the business for him. He was stuck at home and they were having some issues. I told him I’d be very interested and that was the last time we spoke. He died several months later and I got a call from his wife asking if I was still interested. I was....

It’s worked out well. Becky and I are now partners in the business. She’s also moved on with her life and doing well. She’s still in the shop quite a bit, but is starting to travel more. She deserves it.

So are you saying that Darrell really owned more personal firearms than what his wife told me?
(Also, that was back around the early to mid '90s when she told me that, too, and they were still operating out of their original old converted garage store building, albeit after a floor space expansion or two).

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I was in the last two versions of the old building. Two observations from my first trip to Whittakers:

1) On arrival, and parking infront of the store, my first thought was "This can NOT be the largest stocking firearms dealer in the State of KY." After entering the store, it was like one of this movies were suddenly everything opens up.
2) The bulk density of firearms to floor area in the old building was "impressive". smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Orion2000
I was in the last two versions of the old building. Two observations from my first trip to Whittakers:

1) On arrival, and parking infront of the store, my first thought was "This can NOT be the largest stocking firearms dealer in the State of KY." After entering the store, it was like one of this movies were suddenly everything opens up.
2) The bulk density of firearms to floor area in the old building was "impressive". smile

First time for me was back when Whittaker's was still in their original building, which was just a typical residential detached garage converted into a sort of 'general outdoor store'. Back then Darrell basically sold live bait along with a little of this and that but mostly fishing/hunting related stuff, and had just a very few simple racks of used guns. We'd stop there and buy live bait sometimes when we were taking our son fishing for catfish at the Diamond Lake pay lakes right up the road past Whittaker's. The big surprise for me came at their growth, which seemed to really start to happen by leaps and bounds after they changed to stocking firearms/shooting related products exclusively and pretty much dropped everything else. Even before they built the first new building the weekend crowds would often be practically elbow to elbow easily rivaling some of the gun shows I've been to. Whittaker's also had more worth the time to look at and at better prices than most gun shows, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the "Larry, Darrel and Darell" joke sure took an interesting and unforeseen twist there now didn't it? And yes, it was extremely funny for those of us in the know.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/10/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Well, the "Larry, Darrel and Darell" joke sure took an interesting and unforeseen twist there now didn't it? And yes, it was extremely funny for those of us in the know.

You have to be of a certain age group, which I am, to understand that one.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1moredeer, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.