A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I lived in Alaska previously, but no longer. Thanks

Not trying to be a dick but the owner of the shop in a round about way expressed her distaste for sending these boots down south where they aren’t needed.

Have you ever spent a winter in northern Minnesota or North North Dakota?
SW Alaska, what a joke, you guys act like you are the only ones that get cold. Come on down and I'll take you ice fishing on Lake of the Woods or Rainy Lake and show you what cold is.

I’m not in SW Alaska any longer, I was when I made the account but I’ve moved to the interior since then. I have been ice fishing In Minnesota, my grandparents lived there when I was growing up.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are black bunnie boot made by Bata that are identical with the white boots and can be identified by a prominent white strip

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes the white bunny boots are the warmest but are a bitch to walk in the woods with and sometimes to warm if your active. I prefer the black boots better, I have a new pair of winter muck boots I kinda like them even better the muck boots are as warm as the black boots but are somewhat higher so I seem to stay dryer too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The first/last time I put on GI Bunny Boots was during Reforger, 1973. My feet sweat a lot, and we were very busy that day in about -20, maybe -30 and my feet went numb. That night, when I had time to take them off, my feet were super white. I had no feeling for 9 days. Upon return to base, after cleaning everything up and it was our turn to shower, it took about an hour in hot water. when the feeling came back, it hurt super bad! Now I have non diabetic neuropathy in both feet. I hate Bunny Boots. One pair of wool socks and right kind of insulated leather boots work for me. They have to "breathe" for me or I'm soaking wet socks again! Bummer! ha

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I was stationed at Fort Wainwright from 1/1/69 to 3/20/70. During winter indoctrination we were told how to wear the white bunny boots. We were told in no uncertain terms that the valve on the side is to only be used by airborne troops and were opened to keep the pressure inside the boots constant while jumping out of airplanes. Fast forward 10 years my sister and her family moved to Anchorage. I moved there for 2 years also. My BIL had some surplus bunny boots and insisted that I did not know what I was talking about and any fool knew that you opened the valve and blew air into them to increase the insulating qualities. All that did was to allow moist air enter the inside of the boot that can then freeze and reduce the insulating qualities. He also wore plastic bags over his socks while wearing the bunny boots. As I recall we only broke out the bunny boots when the temp got down to - 20 or colder. Our leather GI boots with wool socks kept or feet in fine shape down to minus 20 or so. When I lived in Anchorage in in 78 and 79 I bought a pair of Sorrel pac boots and never thought I needed to buy myself a pair of bunny boots but then I do not think it ever got colder than -30 either.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mjs3240
I was stationed at Fort Wainwright from 1/1/69 to 3/20/70. During winter indoctrination we were told how to wear the white bunny boots. We were told in no uncertain terms that the valve on the side is to only be used by airborne troops and were opened to keep the pressure inside the boots constant while jumping out of airplanes. Fast forward 10 years my sister and her family moved to Anchorage. I moved there for 2 years also. My BIL had some surplus bunny boots and insisted that I did not know what I was talking about and any fool knew that you opened the valve and blew air into them to increase the insulating qualities. All that did was to allow moist air enter the inside of the boot that can then freeze and reduce the insulating qualities. He also wore plastic bags over his socks while wearing the bunny boots. As I recall we only broke out the bunny boots when the temp got down to - 20 or colder. Our leather GI boots with wool socks kept or feet in fine shape down to minus 20 or so. When I lived in Anchorage in in 78 and 79 I bought a pair of Sorrel pac boots and never thought I needed to buy myself a pair of bunny boots but then I do not think it ever got colder than -30 either.

Problem with pac boots is that if you go through the ice and dunk your feet, all that fur and wool etc is going to be waterlogged. With the bunny boots, you just dump them out.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Well I just bought a pair of the black Mickey Mouse boots last week & I couldn't be happier. If you are sitting still for a long time with your feet in the snow these are the raspberries! Wish I would have got a pair a long time ago.

Dick

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Also try the Sportsman Guide.

+1
I bought a pair at a garage sale for one dollar.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.