Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff 'Woody !

Did you do a Sioux Lookout moose hunt this year ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

No moose hunt this year. I'm on a waiting list with my outfitter but it will be 2020 or 21 before he has room again.
I did take this whitetail at home with my 1957 Savage 99 F. I suppose I should post it on the Savage forum.

[Linked Image]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Another view of my Indiana 99 buck. An hour before I shot him I blew a chance at a bigger buck when his doe busted me. The one I took was the third biggest buck I had seen during bow season and had pictures of.

[Linked Image]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ruger77,

As you can see by the map skeen shared there is a lot of WIHA around the state. We hunt in the East half. I stumbled on this program in 2016 when I was hunting the area with an outfitter and saw the signs. For the 2017 hunt we used OnX maps to look at several WIHA properties then went out a day before the season opened and walked a half a dozen properties. Some are wide open pastures, some have creek bottom cover, some are cultivated. Hunting pressure varies by location and day of the week but we haven't had any interference other than the silly German bird hunters this year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheers, yeah, the whole moose tag situation up here is totally messed up !

Outfitter tags have been reduced significantly too.

Haven't hunted them myself in 4-5 seasons, since the quota was seriously reduced.

Keep your good season rolling !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done, 54Woody.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great hunt there Woody and thanks for the information.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't listen to the WIHA lady. She has told that crop damage doe story to 100 other hunters as well. Congratulation to both of you on your deer.

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
LNF,

I'm sure she told others about that property, it's her job to promote the program. She said she usually just leaves the survey card on vehicles and doesn't get to talk to many hunters. I had told her Brad and I didn't intend to doe hunt but she really wanted to report to the land owner that she sent hunters there. Anyway, when we ran over there to check it out there was one truck pulled over on one field. When we went back that evening to drop my cousin off there wasn't anyone else there. Lots of deer sign but cuz didn't see any. I saw a buck and doe across the road on neighboring property. Still it was worth a look and good to remember for the future.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 54Woody
Ruger77,

As you can see by the map skeen shared there is a lot of WIHA around the state. We hunt in the East half. I stumbled on this program in 2016 when I was hunting the area with an outfitter and saw the signs. For the 2017 hunt we used OnX maps to look at several WIHA properties then went out a day before the season opened and walked a half a dozen properties. Some are wide open pastures, some have creek bottom cover, some are cultivated. Hunting pressure varies by location and day of the week but we haven't had any interference other than the silly German bird hunters this year.

In addition to the over 1 million acres enrolled in the WIHA program, Kansas has another 300,00 acres of US Corps of Engineer lands open to hunting.

There is no shortage of public hunting opportunities in Kansas.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LNF,

I'm sure she told others about that property, it's her job to promote the program. She said she usually just leaves the survey card on vehicles and doesn't get to talk to many hunters.

I did her WIHA job years ago for the state of Kansas. Contracting with the landowners, drawing the enrolled lands on county maps, posting all the properties in the counties for my area (and helping other biologist with their WIHA lands), talking to hunters and passing out the survey cards. But since I had been on all the properties at least twice or more; I knew what they held, their hunting potential and what I had seen. So when I'd talk to hunters; I'd steer them to where I had seen upland game or big game and get the groups spread out for success, not stack them on top of each other on one piece of property for safety reasons and because those deer will split the scene, come back the day after hunting season ends and the crop damage continues.

Last edited by LNF150; 12/05/18.
54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
LNF,

Good insight and great approach to the job.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great trip Woody, and great bucks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Woody, well done!
Did you see a bit of rutting activity just prior to the season?

We certainly did on our trip, then the switch got flipped on the last bit of rutting activity the day the season opened. frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I arrived about 2:00 pm the day before the opener so no time to get much observation in, especially since my buck was the first deer I saw opening morning. My buck was traveling alone and feeding. Brad saw two bucks traveling alone and one following two does. On Friday afternoon I saw a buck dogging a doe from the road. I think the rut was winding up fast. Talked to one hunter over lunch that said the rut was cranking just before Thanksgiving when he was taking his son out bow hunting but it was like a switch was thrown at the end of that week shutting it down.
Looking forward to your report.

Woody

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Day three we dropped Steve off and Brad and I headed to town for breakfast and fresh donuts.

[Linked Image]

breakfast AND fresh donuts.... I like your style. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
54 woody, you done good man. Nice Bucks and Nice Shootin' on your and your partners part!

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

No moose hunt this year. I'm on a waiting list with my outfitter but it will be 2020 or 21 before he has room again.
I did take this whitetail at home with my 1957 Savage 99 F. I suppose I should post it on the Savage forum.

[Linked Image]

That's a cool pic

Camp is where you make it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.