Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great score !
That will be a joy too use in the field.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Elegant and understated a real beauty. I might be tempted to swap the scope mounts for Brownell or Talley's. I would rub it down with Clive Lemon Oil just to nurture it a bit, then start applying for antelope tags. Glad I didn't see this or the 6mm as I would probably be in hock for Christmas and New Years.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful rifle! Congrats.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That rifle almost makes me wish I was left-handed and liked Remingtons.

Congrats on acquiring it - definitely something special.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Tejano
Elegant and understated a real beauty. I might be tempted to swap the scope mounts for Brownell or Talley's. I would rub it down with Clive Lemon Oil just to nurture it a bit, then start applying for antelope tags. Glad I didn't see this or the 6mm as I would probably be in hock for Christmas and New Years.

I am going to switch the scope mounts out. The Weavers--as practical as they are--are a bit "meh" for a gun such as this. I have my 1974 Shooters Bible out in order to see what is period correct. The options are not as extensive as they are today, but a set of Conetrols would be about right. I might even go with a two piece Leupold dual dovetail, even though I do not believe they were offered at that time--their offerings then were all dovetail front/windage rear.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by utah708

I am going to switch the scope mounts out. The Weavers--as practical as they are--are a bit "meh" for a gun such as this. I have my 1974 Shooters Bible out in order to see what is period correct. The options are not as extensive as they are today, but a set of Conetrols would be about right. I might even go with a two piece Leupold dual dovetail, even though I do not believe they were offered at that time--their offerings then were all dovetail front/windage rear.

You know I have a buddy just took some conetrols off a 7mm of one variety or another. I'll ask him what rifle.

LOL
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gorgeous rifle..................he was one of the best, IMHO.

Congrats.

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A very nicely detailed rifle all the way around, the extended tang and tang safety are especially nice custom touches as are the slimming of the bolt handle and chasing the checkering. Lenard was a very talented craftsman who set the standard for other custom 'smiths of that era.

+1 that would be enough for me to buy it . Very Nice

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If you ever want to sell it, please let me know!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by utah708

Might I suggest S&K Skulpted Bases and rings...probably not period correct, but will look like they should be.

Buy once, cry once.
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Thanks for that suggestion--I will look into those.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Utah, Cool snag ! Beautiful rifle with some history to boot. Enjoy !

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Outstanding find Utah. I'm super jealous!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very nice ! The word that comes to mind is “classic” .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was gonna be a smart-aleck and ask if the 'handle's fallen off yet'.......but I won't..

laugh laugh

( just HADDA)..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
I was gonna be a smart-aleck and ask if the 'handle's fallen off yet'.......but I won't..

laugh laugh

( just HADDA)..

Don't you think he soldered or welded it back on after contouring?

Conetrols = period correct. S&K though nice and less than fluted Conetrols are a knock off. I am finally getting over my ethical conundrum and using some S&Ks but am still partial to Conetrols since I have used them for years and they are just down the road from me. Some of the rifles that have them on them have only been sighted in once in 20+ years, as long as I don't change loads.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Redneck

laugh laugh

( just HADDA)..

Don't you think he soldered or welded it back on after contouring?

Conetrols = period correct. S&K though nice and less than fluted Conetrols are a knock off. I am finally getting over my ethical conundrum and using some S&Ks but am still partial to Conetrols since I have used them for years and they are just down the road from me. Some of the rifles that have them on them have only been sighted in once in 20+ years, as long as I don't change loads.

He most likely conotoured it, by hand, on the bolt and didn't concern himself with it much since 700 handles rarely fell off.
Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts are another option for scope mounting although I do really like Conetrols.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Looks a lot like an Al Biesen rifle. Similar style

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I was re-reading O'Connor's book on rifles last night. He mentioned Biesen and Brownelll in the same breath in two different passages. I do think there are some differences in the cheekpiece/nose of the comb between a Biesen and this style of Brownell, but they have more similarities than differences. They were more in the classic style than the ornate (some might say garish) California style that was common in that era.

Last edited by utah708; 12/19/18.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,498
Posts18,472,211
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.