-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When my dad died the funeral home told me & my mom that if we wanted a public funeral service embalming was required by law.

The state of North Carolina has NO embalming law.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They can sure be scumbags.

This is one of the worst.

Son Says Mom's Ashes Dug Up

The Associated Press
CARLSBAD— The operator of a Carlsbad cemetery has been accused of digging up a woman's cremated remains during a dispute with her family over payment for her burial.
Bill Crouch, who owns Sunset Gardens Memorial Cemetery with his wife, Gladys, bonded out of jail after his arrest Wednesday on charges of disturbing marked burial grounds.
The Associated Press left a telephone message Friday at Sunset Gardens seeking comment from Bill Crouch, but the call was not immediately returned. No listing could be found in the Carlsbad area for Crouch.
The Crouches were the target of a two-day administrative hearing last month by the state Thanatopractice Board on allegations of abuse, neglect, fraud and unprofessional business practices. The board regulates cemeteries.
Aubrey Lewis told board members that his mother was disinterred for alleged nonpayment.
"I don't know when or who dug up my mother's grave," Lewis said. "The grave was an open pit. It had been that way for almost a week.
"You could still see the ridge where the casket had been," he said, referring to the small box that contained the cremated remains. "There was dirt scattered everywhere. I felt I was going to throw up. We just wanted to get Mom back next to Dad."
Lewis said Gladys Crouch told him after his mother died in April 2003 that there would be a $200 charge for opening and closing the gravesite beside his father. He said Bill Crouch told him the amount had to be paid before the funeral.
He said he and his sister tried unsuccessfully to reach the Crouches for days before the funeral and finally left a check in Crouch's office the day of the service.
A few days later, Bill Crouch told Lewis he knew nothing about the check, and the brother and sister later decided to cancel payment on it.
A week later, they discovered that their mother's remains had been removed.
State hearing officer Willard H. Davis Jr. submitted a 17-page report on Sunset Gardens.

I had the unfortunate displeasure of having to deal with the funeral director on other deals. The guy needed killin' as bad as anyone I ever met.

Not only had he dug up that woman's grave, but he sexually abused many boys, and was suspected in the deaths of two teen girls in a murder case that never produced enough evidence to go to trial.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of them that I've met talk real low, almost in a whisper. I don't trust people who talk like that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
They figure they have you over the barrel. What are most people going to do? take their family remains and go elsewhere?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
my father's elbow to elbow width exceeded that for which a standard casket was designed.

I'd of told him not to measure with dads hands on his hips.

The funeral director is a crooked ass.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with these guys has been that they are the lowest of the low, creepy, greedy scumbags whose only concern is how much money they can squeeze out of the bereaved while they are at their most vulnerable. I dont think even used car salesmen are as unscrupulous.

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've put quite a few guys bigger in standard caskets. This is what you know it is. Undertakers are like anyone else, some crooks, some not. The way to deal with this is to go get your arrangements in advance, just the way you want them.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
At a time of grief most of us are easy marks. I think the whole industry is corrupt. My brother in law died in august and his wife had him cremated. It cost less but not by much. I think around here you have to pay for embalming whether you are buried or cremated.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some states allow you to build your own casket, some don't. Those that don't were heavily lobbied by morticians to protect their casket market. They claimed that their's were 'better'. Some years ago, I saw a video of a funeral using one of those 'better' ones. As the pall bearers were carrying the casket down the church steps, the bottom fell out, dumping the body on the steps. Any home woodworker with less than 3 thumbs can do better than that.

Often you need either a steel casket or a concrete vault. That has nothing to do with preserving the body. It's a rule in many cemeteries. As a wood casket deteriorates, it collapses leaving a divot in the ground. The cemeteries don't want to have to go back and fill the holes so they require something that won't collapse. If you build your own wood one, they'll require the vault.

Another mortician game is embalming. In most states, it's not required except in the case of a few highly contagious diseases. All it does it preserve the body longer to give out of town relatives more time to get there for the funeral. Morticians make a bundle selling it like it's required. I have a walk-in cooler that will work just as well. It'll hold an elk for 2 weeks or more.

Avoid all this crap and expense. Cremate.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No thanks, I'll be cremated. My son can spread my ashes over our favorite hunting spot.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
$950.00 to be cremated.Includes Urn and a room for some type of service.Who wants to be stuck in the ground as worm food?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My Father in Law died several years ago. He had a $10,000 funeral expense policy. His desire was to be cremated.

There was a viewing and a funeral for him, however. The actual coffin was a simple pine box that he was to be cremated in. But for the viewing, they had the pine coffin placed inside a nice casket that was set up for such. You couldn't see the pine box in it. They placed fabric around the edges and it looked fairly typical. The bill for the funeral came to, lo and behold!,...$10,000. The itemized breakdown of the expenses showed $3000 for the use of the casket that his pine box rested in for the showing.

1000 dollars a day to rent a casket.

Yeah,...there's some serious rip offs going on in the funeral industry.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd have demanded that I be allowed to get into a standard casket myself and "try it on for size".
Many funeral directors are con artists. I expect there is a hot place in hell for them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old daddy told me the three people who take advantage of others are :
Undertaker
Lawyers
Used car salesmen
They get you when you are at a low point in your life. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Doesn't Costco sell caskets?

Yes, but you have to buy a ten pack...

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The local FH here tried to do the song and dance on my mom when Dad passed. I was late arriving for planning due to travel. I looked over the $$ and their services. I’m certain I was an ass but upon conclusion services were reduced by about 34%. We had a very matter of fact discussion in private away from my grieving Mom and sibs. I despise the SOB’s that are corporate FH’s.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Doesn't Costco sell caskets?

Yes, but you have to buy a ten pack...

laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Clintons got a bulk rate for their associates.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I honestly wonder if sometimes funeral homes actually do give all the preparatory mortuary services in full that they are supposed to do and charge for.

How would anyone know if they cut a few corners to clear some extra profit like by not fully embalming or maybe not at all?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago we had a mortician in our church. Another fellow retired in CA and moved here. He hired on with the mortician to supplement his pension. He had worked for Wonder Bread for 30+ years. The 1st time he got to help with an embalming, he looked at the label on the fluid and recognized it as the same stuff they put in Wonder Bread to prevent it from molding. If you eat enough Wonder Bread, you won't need embalming. You'll keep like Lenin.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 65 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.