Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

If the deer here in my little corner of NEPA have made it through archery, early muzzleloader, rifle and doe season they deserve a pass and get one from me. Killing one is really not that important anymore, ymmv....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bowie,Texas and Bowie county are two different places.
I live in Texarkana, Bowie county, Texas. It is in the farthest north east corner of Texas.
Deer hunting is fair. We can hunt then. Rifle or archery, I haven't gotten to hunt the last 2 years but believe it's still buck only
after the 3rd weekend of November. Everything I know of is private land or leased. We lease 80 acres in the next county over, Cass county.
My dad spent 22.5 years at RRAD. The best hunting in Bowie county is right outside New Boston on private ranches that are tough to get to hunt on.

Last edited by Texczech; 12/15/18. Reason: Hit post too quick.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by moosemike
Not into muzzle loader, sorry. Used to hunt flintlock other side of Deep Creek Lake. Lost the land to hunt(sold) and didnt use a flintlock for a few years. Picked it back up and for some reason developed a terrible flinch. Never could get over it.

Same here my friend. I find that with all my centerfire shooting I can't shoot flintlock without flinching and if I focus on the Flinter to lick the flinch then it affects my centerfire shooting. So I gave up the Flinters. Like you I'd still like to do some rifle hunting before the year is out.

Yeah its a bitch. Got the time and money, just not the right weapons seasons...that I know of, hence the question. If I cant find a rifle season this late I might get back into archery.

I think you guys now have an in-line muzzle loader season in October or early November? In-lines shoot very much like center fire rifles. You can use pellets that are quick and easy to load. No fooling around with lose powder and the modern bullets are sweet. They use 209 primers, no percussion caps or flash pans. You might think about shooting one sometime, I think you'll like them and it'll open up your options. I'm not sure how far you are from here, but I know there's a lot of people from southern PA that hunt here. If you drive around and look at the parking areas for the public hunting lands during any of the gun seasons, half the cars and trucks are from PA. I'm only about a 1/2 hour from the PA line. We don't get many people from VA here because their rifle season lasts for months. I think those guys in PA take advantage of the fact that we can kill up to 3 bucks and 30 does. I think PA only allows you 1 buck and 1 doe for the entire hunting season.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 12/15/18.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AZ has deer open Dec 15-31. AZ is all draw and that season has the fewest tags so drawing is not easy.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Arkansas has a three day rifle season that starts the day after Christmas.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Most of the southeast is rifle season b/t Xmas and NY. Either sex often too.

This is true. AL and GA are open during this time. It's either start of or pre-rut at my house in NE AL, where I hunt in NW GA is rutting right now, an hour west of me in AL will be rutting in January (even into Feb for some of the bucks).

Time to see what's happening this morning in the GA mountains....

Yep. I could be hunting now but I already have plenty of meat and here in Southeast Georgia and Lowcountry SC, the main rut is long gone so the odds of killing something big is not real or should I say as good.

I know Ya'lls deer and Alabama deer rut way later than ours. A retired guy with plenty of money and time could get in a lease in SC and or southeast GA AND Alabama and be entertained in fine fashion for almost 6 months out of the year, essentially having two rifle season ruts to hunt. Always been a day dream of mine! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Not into muzzle loader, sorry. Used to hunt flintlock other side of Deep Creek Lake. Lost the land to hunt(sold) and didnt use a flintlock for a few years. Picked it back up and for some reason developed a terrible flinch. Never could get over it.

Same here my friend. I find that with all my centerfire shooting I can't shoot flintlock without flinching and if I focus on the Flinter to lick the flinch then it affects my centerfire shooting. So I gave up the Flinters. Like you I'd still like to do some rifle hunting before the year is out.

Yeah its a bitch. Got the time and money, just not the right weapons seasons...that I know of, hence the question. If I cant find a rifle season this late I might get back into archery.

I think you guys now have an in-line muzzle loader season in October or early November? In-lines shoot very much like center fire rifles. You can use pellets that are quick and easy to load. No fooling around with lose powder and the modern bullets are sweet. They use 209 primers, no percussion caps or flash pans. You might think about shooting one sometime, I think you'll like them and it'll open up your options. I'm not sure how far you are from here, but I know there's a lot of people from southern PA that hunt here. If you drive around and look at the parking areas for the public hunting lands during any of the gun seasons, half the cars and trucks are from PA. I'm only about a 1/2 hour from the PA line. We don't get many people from VA here because their rifle season lasts for months. I think those guys in PA take advantage of the fact that we can kill up to 3 bucks and 30 does. I think PA only allows you 1 buck and 1 doe for the entire hunting season.

PA has a one week season in October for inline, doe only. After Christmas it is flintlock of archery. Generally one buck, but depending on the area, many doe tags. In flintlock season, you can shoot a doe with a buck tag, but not the other way around.
Good flintlocks have less lag, but it is still very challenging.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Texczech
Bowie,Texas and Bowie county are two different places.
I live in Texarkana, Bowie county, Texas. It is in the farthest north east corner of Texas.
Deer hunting is fair. We can hunt then. Rifle or archery, I haven't gotten to hunt the last 2 years but believe it's still buck only
after the 3rd weekend of November. Everything I know of is private land or leased. We lease 80 acres in the next county over, Cass county.
My dad spent 22.5 years at RRAD. The best hunting in Bowie county is right outside New Boston on private ranches that are tough to get to hunt on.

We were checking the thread at break. Jason said he lives in Dekalb. Said he leases hunting rights for 250 acres nearby and another 600 next county west. Offered me to come down next season cause this season is full with his family. Might take him up on it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Things are just kicking into gear in South Texas now. Will be headed that way soon.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Things are just kicking into gear in South Texas now. Will be headed that way soon.

Good luck! Is it that much a difference in quality of buck between north south east west?

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There are some good places to hunt around DeKalb.
If he has something around Avery or Annona or Clarksville areas, I would definitely go.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out in the Texas Hill Country, the season goes until the first Sunday in January. Then, some counties have an antlerless/spike season that goes on for another two weeks. And, there are always exotics. Season is open year round on them.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good info guys, appreciate it. Im gonna talk to Jason more on monday if I can catch him. He heads back to TX for holidays on tuesday. Thanks again!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Most of the southeast is rifle season b/t Xmas and NY. Either sex often too.

This is true. AL and GA are open during this time. It's either start of or pre-rut at my house in NE AL, where I hunt in NW GA is rutting right now, an hour west of me in AL will be rutting in January (even into Feb for some of the bucks).

Time to see what's happening this morning in the GA mountains....

Yep. I could be hunting now but I already have plenty of meat and here in Southeast Georgia and Lowcountry SC, the main rut is long gone so the odds of killing something big is not real or should I say as good.

I know Ya'lls deer and Alabama deer rut way later than ours. A retired guy with plenty of money and time could get in a lease in SC and or southeast GA AND Alabama and be entertained in fine fashion for almost 6 months out of the year, essentially having two rifle season ruts to hunt. Always been a day dream of mine! laugh

Yes sir. Even focusing on AL alone, you can find deer rutting from early Nov all the way to Feb due to the assorted different places the deer were stocked from. A lot of great land can be hunted in AL through the WMA's for a fairly inexpensive out of state license....the difference in rut dates can really be seen across the many WMA's.

Watched the biggest 6 point I've ever seen this morning who was hunting harder than I was.....he couldn't pass a small tree with branches he could reach without running this antlers through it. Tines were long and had mass. Really surprised he wasn't with a doe. Was fun to watch him. I'm guessing him at 2.5 years old based on his body...next year he may be something!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I stand corrected, didn’t know there was a Bowie county. I should have read a little closer. Sorry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Missouri has "alternative" season after Christmas

It's open for bucks and doe with anything thats not considered a modern centerfire rifle or any shotgun

Over the counter tags

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They have late rifle seasons in other states, but no butchers that will deal with you.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep I will be in Greenville,Alabama. Our rut doesnt start until mid January so I guess we will hunting prerut between the holidays.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hanco, he was asking about Bowie county...not the city of Bowie. powdr

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tejano

Good luck! Is it that much a difference in quality of buck between north south east west?

Depends on the ranch and how much pressure the deer have. But in general the potential is there and the genetics are good for the possibility of a deer with over eight points. The deer are not large but some of the bigger bucks will go over 200 lbs. Different areas in Tx. I have shot mature bucks that weighed from 75 to 240 lbs so lots of variation by area. Genetics and groceries make a difference.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,876
Posts18,497,684
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.