Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's an epidemic. It started out with the Nikon line some years back and has since infected almost every single scope mfg. out there.

I'm a function first guy, but man...there are some ugly, ugly scopes out there.

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pretty is as pretty does.

DF

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I heartily endorse both of these views! grin

I held my nose about the former, when I tried my first 3-9x40 Conquest. The view, tracking, and robustness were worth it, and then some.

Stil, I remain a big fan of the 2-7 Vipers, 'cause they gave an awful lot of performance, while still keeping the ocular at a manageable size. I really like their magnification adjustment lever, too. Naturally, they discontinued it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Big oculars on 1" tubes do look goofy. Don't look too bad on a 30mm man scope grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I read big oculars increase field of view. Can someone confirm or correct this?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The fuggin dumbasses like to make oculars so big they interfere with bolt travel unless you mount them so high you need a neck like a giraffe to see through the scope. The same dumbasses make the scope tubes so short you can't mount them on much of anything without using some cockamamy offset rings or butt ugly picatinny rail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The fuggin dumbasses like to make oculars so big they interfere with bolt travel unless you mount them so high you need a neck like a giraffe to see through the scope. The same dumbasses make the scope tubes so short you can't mount them on much of anything without using some cockamamy offset rings or butt ugly picatinny rail.

I concur with the bolt clearance and scope mounting issues.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Most of the scopes I see these days look like the second coming of the Hubble telescope, it’s hard to beat the classic lines of a Leupold....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
I read big oculars increase field of view. Can someone confirm or correct this?

Field of view is mainly determined by the magnification.
Lens diameters don't have a lot of effect.

Last edited by Snyper; 12/15/18.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sitting here looking at a popular (from what I read here, anyway) 6X42. The occular is so big you could mount it backwards and it'd look the same. Weird.....:( -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Snyper,

Ocular lens diameter has a LOT to do with FOV, because it's essentially the screen where we view the world. Magnification and eye relief are also involved, but aren't the entire equation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
i have a Tract Tekoa to put on a Remington 700 long action. Had a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 in Talley LW lows, worked perfectly. Had to go to an extended front talley to get the tube far enough rearward so that ocular would clear the base of the rear ring.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RedRabbit

I concur with the bolt clearance and scope mounting issues.

I agree...and it is bloody irritating.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack

it’s hard to beat the classic lines of a Leupold....

Leupold didn't think so!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The newer Weaver Grand Slams are so ugly it must be seen to be believed. Worst thing is I'm not sure if they improved or degraded the aesthetics...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Goosey
The newer Weaver Grand Slams are so ugly it must be seen to be believed. Worst thing is I'm not sure if they improved or degraded the aesthetics...

[Linked Image]

Sweet mother of heaven, that is ugly!! I wonder what focus group picked that design??

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Gotta' agree with all that.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Part of the reason for larger ocular bells (and lenses) is the overall trend to higher magnification, especially at the top end of variable magnification--especially in competition shooting.

The larger oculars result in a wider field of view, which can be important when whacking away at longer ranges, whether to spot your own shots or find the target quicker.

The other factor is that optics companies aren't designing scopes for geezers who think the scopes they grew up with were the epitome of esthetic perfection. Some of those geezers don't think scopes made BEFORE their era were very beautiful either, but because they tend to forget some really ugly scopes made back then, tend to idealize the best of what they liked in their youth, whether rifles, scopes, cars or music.

Not long ago I went on a big game hunt with several other gun writers, one a 30-year-old who was assigned a dull-green "chassis" rifle with a huge scope mounted at least 2 inches above the action, plus a suppressor the size of a thick salami on the muzzle. He took one look at it and said, "Man, that's a good-looking rifle!"

One of the interesting things about all this is many of the "California" style walnut stocks, with high "rollover" combs, hooked pistol grips, and skip-line checkering are considered impractical (and ugly) by most such 30-year-olds. Yet the basic stock dimension are very similar to many chassis-stocked rifles today.

All of this, of course, relates to the constant human opinion that younger humans are incredibly FOS. This has been going on throughout our history (and not doubt prehistory) and is evident in the changes in art and technology across several millennia--and by millennia I dont mean the humans now called millennials, but the measure of time defined by 1000 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Geezers???Just because I used to fish with christ when he was a wee lad doesn't necessarily make me a geezer, does it? But arguing with success is often difficult, and often age brings success along with it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Age definitely gives one a perspective, but sometimes older isn't better... wink

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,668
Posts18,493,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.