Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Waygoner
Still being made, here's the latest version.

Suzuki Jimny

Thanks for posting that link! That Jimmy Su FINALLY fills the gap in the market that the Samurai left. If it is reliable and a fair price for the reality of a limited size rig, then it should sell pretty well. Some of the small rigs in the past were priced the same as a big 4x4 pick-up, and didn't get much better mileage, so people like me would buy the pick-up every time. A small rig has to have some offsetting advantage to it's small size to make it saleable.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like A/C, roof, and a windshield when offroad, I'm not going to lie. I can do a lot around here in a small 4x4 truck but will take my ATV if unsure of the property and its conditions.

Was looking at 4-6 passenger SxS utility rigs recently and basic ones are bumping $20k new with usual add-ons like roof/winch/windshield. Elected to just order up some ARB/Old Man Emu/Warn parts for the Tacoma and will pick up another vehicle for helping with the highway chores. $20k just seems like a lot for something I can't even drive on the road.

Now with even more aplomb
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by Waygoner
Still being made, here's the latest version.

Suzuki Jimny

Thanks for posting that link! That Jimmy Su FINALLY fills the gap in the market that the Samurai left. If it is reliable and a fair price for the reality of a limited size rig, then it should sell pretty well. Some of the small rigs in the past were priced the same as a big 4x4 pick-up, and didn't get much better mileage, so people like me would buy the pick-up every time. A small rig has to have some offsetting advantage to it's small size to make it saleable.

The Jimny actually is the Samurai. Suzuki never stopped making them.

The main cause for their not being imported was all the lawsuits that stemmed from a bullschit expose' on a show like 20/20 or 60 Minutes. Maybe Dateline. I can't remember which.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JPro
I like A/C, roof, and a windshield when offroad, I'm not going to lie. I can do a lot around here in a small 4x4 truck but will take my ATV if unsure of the property and its conditions.

Was looking at 4-6 passenger SxS utility rigs recently and basic ones are bumping $20k new with usual add-ons like roof/winch/windshield. Elected to just order up some ARB/Old Man Emu/Warn parts for the Tacoma and will pick up another vehicle for helping with the highway chores. $20k just seems like a lot for something I can't even drive on the road.

The SxS's are ridiculous.

My last rig was a Boyota with tow bar. Made 1K times more sense than any quad or SxS.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by deflave
I may head back out there in February. If I do I'm gonna drive one back.

Clear out your inbox. I know where one is in runnable condition with the hard top a ways north of you. Shorter drive back to Florida.

I was gonna buy it but found a like new 6x6 Max that would and does serve my needs better.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Fine.

I'll make room in my box.

But just for you.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fine.

I'll make room in my box.

But just for you.

Actually,,,,,,it’s just for you.

Incoming.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a Samurai, but one of my mechanics has a bad ass Chevy tracker !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by extremesolo
I always thought the Samurais were a cool vehicle. I had a small Bronco II when I first started driving and while not as small as the Zuk they could fit down tight trails as well. I now have a '94 Landcruiser 80 series with an OME lift and factory lockers. It is definitely my go anywhere vehicle and always impresses me.

My brother sold his Samurai and bought an old Landcruiser. Biggest mistake of his car life.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dan_oz
These were very popular here in Oz, and there's still a fair few kicking around. When I was a kid the neighbours had a predecessor, an LJ50, which was even smaller, lighter and had a 500cc 2 stroke engine. There was a later version with an 800 cc engine too, IIRC. The neighbours' kids used to drive it down to the bus stop (about 7 miles away) to go to school, and we'd go bush in it too. Tiny, but near unstoppable.

The one you call "Samurai" was called "Sierra" here, and they are still fairly popular for off-roaders. For a long while they were also popular for delivering newspapers, given the low running costs and the ease with which you could toss a paper from the drivers seat on the open versions. Popular farm buggies as well. A mate of mine has one on his farm for a shooting buggy. A good little jigger for that, so long as you aren't tall. Slow and bloody noisy on the highway though, every one of them that I've driven, even as they upped the power on them over the years.

Can't you guys still get them?

Kinda sorta. What we called the Sierra was replaced with what is known here as the Jimny in 1998, which was a similar sort of size to the SWB Sierra but a different design. It still has a ladder chassis. It also has the coilspring suspension like the last of the last of the Sierras (to the detriment of offroad performance, some say), as well as dual range part-time 4WD, but there's no LWB or ute version, the bodywork's different and there are such features as airbags, power windows and the option of auto trans. I don't think you can fold the windscreen (windshield) flat and easily remove the doors for when you want to use it as a shooting buggy either, as you can on the Sierra. Still cheap and cheerful though, and tiny. Just recently they've announced a replacement.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Everything has pros and cons. The pros for a Suzuki outweigh the cons for my uses. Enthusiast may be too strong for me but I like to hunt and fish and want good four wheel ability at lowest reasonable cost. Zuki is easy on gas and as somebody said, it has a weight to traction to power ratio that gets it through a lot of places other vehicles get stuck.

Mine has driven me casually where larger 4 heel drive pick-ups have not been able to go in slick snow. However, one time a heavy fall of snow piled up so deep within hours that it trapped me 20 miles out till a tall-tired 4x4 came by and broke trail for me.

It also goes through narrow places and I drove a quad trail for a mile this summer to reach a lake. It can get me into bad places with no way to turn around, etc. A pro is that the short wheel base goes through wash-outs etc. without hitting the bumper on either end.

My original soft top was not good in constant coastal rain, poor visibility out the plastic side windows. When I hunted in deep cold, they cracked like paper thin glass. Fun summer beach rig however that my teen daughter loved.

Re the light weight, it is dicey in deep flowing water because it is so light it will float downstream sooner than a heavier vehicle. My first little soft top Zuki was so light that one time when we slid off the road in mud, three of us just picked up one end and put it back on the road.

It is so light that it will run on crusted snow sometimes and will often run on slightly packed snow machine trails. Bad idea. Do not do that. I learned the very hard way. If you ever break through or need to turn around, you wind up with the body sitting on top of the snow and 4 wheels not touching the ground. I dug out all of the snow under the vehicle and built a ramp up on to the packed snow again and never let off the gas for three miles back to plowed road. I'm a slow learner and drove 40 feet onto crusted snow one more time.

I totaled my last Suzuki on freeway black ice, am glad no truck hit me while I was ricocheting between the Jersey barriers on both sides.

Just saw one here in the Yakima Valley exactly like that one you had... $1500... SOOOO tempted to grab it for a kid, but I'm about 2 years ahead! Love those little rigs!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never can find one cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 wneeler with a cab ....thats what we call'em

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]

Zuki with tracks ..........................and heater

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Prolly 1980
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Had one around here for a while with a spring over and lockers. I was not sorry to see it go. Piece of junk.

What was wrong with it?

We had to input a bunch of parts to keep the outfit running properly.

In the long term, a side by side was a lot better purchase.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I see he's dropped the price down to $4500.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.