-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great shooting Beav! Thanks for the post and the pics!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Congrats!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Nice job Mark!!

I'm glad this all came together for you with your new rifle.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Nice job Mark!!

Don't ya just luv it when a plan comes together!

ya!

GWB

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Nice job Mark!!

Don't ya just luv it when a plan comes together!

ya!

GWB

Yep! cool

Last edited by lone wolf; 12/27/18.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good stuff Beav.... that’s a sweet rig, and excellent eats.

I know Pharm and some others have turfed elks with those 150 ELDXs... but to me, a 140 TTSX or something of that ilk makes for a bit better “elk” load in the 7/08... but I like two holes in stuff.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks...Ordered up a box. Here’s to one shot bang flops...Grin 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Thanks...Ordered up a box. Here’s to one shot bang flops...Grin 😎

FWIW,

Most of the critters I shoot with the 7mm-08 are hoglets. Most are 150 lbs or under. The bullet placement of choice for me is to draw an imaginary line between the ear and shoulder and the place a bullet about 2" below the ear on that line. It severs the spine and the critter drops and paddles. My bullet of choice is the 140 gr. Nosler Accubond in the 7mm-08. It flies like a ballistic tip and penetrates like a partition. I've used the Barnes TSX and TTSX on hogs in different calibers. The only knock on them is that if you hit a hog high in the "shield" they tend to "pencil" through", then the fat of the shield seals up both holes. There will be an initial blood leakage, but it will peter out within a few strides. As thick as it is where I hunt I want two leaky holes and a blood trail a blind man can wade in.

YMMV

ya!

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! That will be some fine eating! Looks like you had a hunting pard along, is he your good luck charm?? grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GWB,
Appreciate your information. I’m a believer in NAB’s, shooting them exclusively in my .30 cals. I use to shoot the Barnes TSX at bulls-only stopped because a new to me rifle hated them. DRT on some big Roosevelt’s from 180g NAB at decent yardage’s kept me slinging them...😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't shoot a single .284" 180 ELD,or you'll sell alotta schit.

Hint.....................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great job bud!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Don't shoot a single .284" 180 ELD,or you'll sell alotta schit.

Hint.....................(grin)

Spill the beans on your experience with elks and a 7/08.... or 180s and elk.... or are you forced to guess?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never even seen a 7-08,or an Elk.

Laughing!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Congrats! That will be some fine eating! Looks like you had a hunting pard along, is he your good luck charm?? grin

Thanks...That little fella is my pards son. I’ve adopted him as my nephew. He’s a super kid who loves to hunt more than spending time on social media and video games..Since the wife and I couldn’t have kids. He’s gonna inherit some nice rifle and shotguns when I decide it’s time to give up the hunting game...

This weekend it’s his turn to chase a cow elk around. I will be there to help and watch him get his first elk. His dad and I are probably more excited than he is, but we have to be cool about it, at least until he puts one down. 😎

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Thanks...That little fella is my pards son. I’ve adopted him as my nephew. He’s a super kid who loves to hunt more than spending time on social media and video games..Since the wife and I couldn’t have kids. He’s gonna inherit some nice rifle and shotguns when I decide it’s time to give up the hunting game...

This weekend it’s his turn to chase a cow elk around. I will be there to help and watch him get his first elk. His dad and I are probably more excited than he is, but we have to be cool about it, at least until he puts one down. 😎

Good on ya!

My oldest son started following me when he was six. He has been hunting ever since. He married a lady that was 7 years his senior. The boy was 10 at the time. He had never been hunting. Just before his 11th birtday my son took him to the range in preparation for a hunt at my lease.

He got this doe at +/- 80 yds with my Kimber Montana in 260 Rem. IIRC I was loading 120 gr. Ballistic tips at the time!

[Linked Image]

He's all grown up now, graduated Air Force Basic Training in August, and just completed Flight controller school with the highest grade in his class and has received has first posting.

[Linked Image]

Airman Howell

Here is his buck from two years ago, courtesy of my oldest.

[Linked Image]

And Glenn IV

[Linked Image]

with one of his daddy's bucks

[Linked Image]

and his first pig!

Doin' my part to keep the tradition alive!

ya!

GWB

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the fine elk hunting experience and meat in the freezer.

Arcus Venator
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by geedubya

Good on ya!

My oldest son started following me when he was six. He has been hunting ever since. He married a lady that was 7 years his senior. The boy was 10 at the time. He had never been hunting. Just before his 11th birtday my son took him to the range in preparation for a hunt at my lease.

He got this doe at +/- 80 yds with my Kimber Montana in 260 Rem. IIRC I was loading 120 gr. Ballistic tips at the time!

[Linked Image]

He's all grown up now, graduated Air Force Basic Training in August, and just completed Flight controller school with the highest grade in his class and has received has first posting.

[Linked Image]

Airman Howell

Here is his buck from two years ago, courtesy of my oldest.

[Linked Image]

And Glenn IV

[Linked Image]

with one of his daddy's bucks

[Linked Image]

and his first pig!

Doin' my part to keep the tradition alive!

ya!

GWB

Pretty cool GW. My proposed son in law is a newly minted Airman. Finishing tech school in the spring. In..............Texas!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just checking back on this thread - congrats Beaver10 that looks like a perfect elk for the freezer!! Glad the new rifle worked for you - and good luck filling the rest of the tags.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Otter6

Pretty cool GW. My proposed son in law is a newly minted Airman. Finishing tech school in the spring. In..............Texas!

That would be Lackland in San Antonio. Both you and he will be glad that is is in the spring and not in August. In August, it wil be hot enough, the jack rabbits will be carrying canteens!

We went to Jacob's graduation ceremony. It was an amazing event. In my old age I typically avoid any type of event where there are quite a few people congregated, but i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best to he, you and yours in the new year that comes!

ya!

GWB

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,987
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.