-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check into where hunting is legal, California ground squirrels are fun at distances.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good weather but sell your guns.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May god have mercy on your soul..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
CHIT! cant help with your inquiry, but I'd transfer my ass to the house, have never worked for anyone but myself, it's easy to do, good luck.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The culture shock moving from Maine to Commiefornia will be enormous and the price shock of everything will be even worse. The average price of a home in Maine on a decent lot will buy you a rundown carport in a barrio in SoCal. A $150K salary is a starting wage for a single person just out of college. For instance, a 1,100 sf, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath townhome I bought new in 1974 for $33K in San Jose (southern part of the SF bay area), is currently going for $953K. Every other home I bought there (6 in all ranging from $78K to $380K when bought new) are now 'worth' between $1.5 and $2.5 million dollars.

Taxes in Commiefornia are the highest in the country. Base state sales tax is 7.25% but with city and county add ons, most places are up at 10%. State income taxes top out at 13.3% and property taxes are enormous compared to Maine's as a result of the high price of homes. Food prices in northern Commiefornia are double the cost here in the Denver area. (I spend time in Tracey, CA with a bud rebuilding a hotrod we first built together 37 years ago so I'm painfully aware of the costs there.)

Living in San Diego, expect to pay a fortune for housing in any decent area. The median home price in San Diego is $632,800 currently and at $468 per sq foot, that's for a small, old, 1,350 sf home or 2-3 bedroom townhome. Also, you need to get ready for the family to learn Spanish as you're actually moving into Northern Mexico. There will be areas where English is not spoken by many, where signage is in Spanish, where 'Gringos' aren't welcome.

Also be ready for the fact that everywhere you go, you'll be engulfed in traffic as you travel with what seems like 400,000 of your 'closest friends'. Even with a Billion dollars, you can't escape the crush of people. I escaped Northern Commiefornia in 1980. Best decision I've ever made to take the family out of the state even though when I first moved there in 1956 as a kid it was actually a great place to grow up in. Now, not so much unless you learn to be into all the latest ridiculous fads, spend a fortune on clothes to 'fit in', and of course, learn to be so left wing that Lenin is considered too much of a right wing conservative.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If I was in Maine I'd call Loggah right here at the fire, he's in NH, I'd drive a log truck, run an overhead crane/forklift at a wood yard and happily live the rest of my life hunting deer, moose, bear and trap anything I could trap, and fish like hell too, any damn thing but go to cali!

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I was out there (long beach) for a few years while the wife went to school. I pretty much gave up the shooting while I was there but came back for two weeks of deer hunting. What I did was a lot of backpacking. Yosemite, Seqouia Kings, In the winter lots of stuff on the coast like Los Padres. Had a friend with a boat in a nearby marina and we did a fair bit of sailing too. Its a big ass state and you will have to get used to driving if you want to get to the backcountry.

Honestly I couldn't live there for long, I found the lack of real seasons hard to take and there are just to many people. Did I mention traffic? But for a short time it was ok.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent 5 years near Washington and lebrea (LA). Did most of my shooting out in the desert with work buddies. You should have some opportunities to shoot closer to home. I did. Once in defense of my home, and in Eaglerock, in defense of my pet. (Roving bands of feral dogs).
If you are also a bow hunter, there is also a few bow ranges, free to the public. One along the LA River has about 100 individual shooting slots with round targets, and range markers out to 70yards. (Spent a lot of time there)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by COSteve
The culture shock moving from Maine to Commiefornia will be enormous

unless you learn to be into all the latest ridiculous fads, spend a fortune on clothes to 'fit in', and of course, learn to be so left wing that Lenin is considered too much of a right wing conservative.

🤣

You guys...

First off, dont get me wrong, California pisses me off in so many ways.
The nanny state government and the liberal urban culture that enables it and the traffic and overpopulation in developed, urban centers is just disgusting.
The bastards have taken my trapping, my hunting with hounds, mountain lion hunting, and the list of gun restrictions are too long to list.

That said, many commenters are overdramatizing a little or have simply never been outside the urban schittholes of the state.

The state is huge, you can drive north from San Diego for almost 15 hours before you hit it's northern border...15 hours!!!

This state is extremely diverse, geographically and contrary to popular belief, politically too.
There are vast rural wide open spaces and vast tracts of farming and ranching communities that are very conservative that offer excellent hunting and fishing opportunities.
If you have decent communication skills it is possible to network with private land owners and that can lead to world class waterfowl and deer hunting opportunities.
For many years on this page I have posted tons of success photos of me and my son hunting and fishing in Northern California.

Most of my Instagram album is from California...Blacktail deer, trout, salmon, striped bass, sturgeon, steelhead, coyotes, turkeys, black bears etc...

https://www.instagram.com/grizzskinner1/

I think a lot of people on here bitchpissandmoan about California and in reality have less personal freedom than I do as they live in cities or suburban subdivisions and can't even take a piss on their own property without neighbors staring into their property.
Lazy people will always complain about a lack of opportunity, but you can have an enviable life in the outdoors here if you are willing to put in the work....most won't.

Like I said earlier, I live about 9 hours north of San Diego which might as well be a different state.
My grandparents lived down there when I was a kid and we would fish in the ocean and explore the beaches.
San Diego is pretty limited in its outdoor options, but the state is so huge, you can't generalize the whole state based on what you will encounter down there.
Good luck with your move...

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I just got transferred from Maine to San Diego Calf. Are there any bench rest ranges and or clubs in the area that you would recommend ? I absolutely love my shooting and hunting and hope I will find others like me out here that enjoy the same. If there are no shooting and bench rest ranges is there someone out there who would just like to get together to talk bench rest and shooting?

Merry Christmas

Montana isn't that far from San Diego, come on up and we can shoot off portable benches at prairie dogs...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sell all your ammo that isnt lead free. Even lead shot gun shells are banned as of 2019

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
NO snow shoveling!!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Sell all your ammo that isnt lead free. Even lead shot gun shells are banned as of 2019

CARAMBA!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, I'm pissed about the lead bullet ban in Kalifornastan but waterfowlers have been banned from using lead shot for hunting waterfowl nationwide for what 30 years?

Proud NRA Life Member
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
San Diego is one of the few places I still want to visit. Mostly because I want to go to the Maritime Museum again. Take inventory of your guns, look at the Cal restrictions on magazines, drop tests, alloy frames, lead free ammo, and what have you and then decide what to do. I would do long term loans or storage to family, sell (?), or just keep very quiet and out of sight.

Vehicles will be another possible thing to deal with with Cal emissions.

Colorado is taking Cal as a model starting in a week, but I cannot move so dont feel alone.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Andrews1958: RECONSIDER!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Yeah, I'm pissed about the lead bullet ban in Kalifornastan but waterfowlers have been banned from using lead shot for hunting waterfowl nationwide for what 30 years?

https://www.csmonitor.com/Environme...nds-what-does-that-mean-for-conservation

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lead is only banned for hunting. You can target shoot with it. Lord this thread has a lot of FUD in this thread by people who "visited" or "lived here for a year".

Join Cal Guns. Don't stress. San Diego has the best weather on the planet, fantastic restaurants, some really great museums (the Air and Space is fantastic as is the USS Midway), a cool downtown area, an amazing baseball stadium (albeit with a [bleep] team), and has some nice rural areas inland. There are plenty of places to shoot as California has way more gun owners then Maine, Montana, Colorado, etc. probably combined LOL. Some ranges are membership only, but most are not in my experience. If you are into IPDA or IPSC there are some world class clubs and ranges for those games.

That said. There are some good ranges but the ones I know of are up north east of LA. I like Angeles personally. I think it goes out to 600 or 800 yards with steel targets. Has a great shotgun range and is typically populated with pretty normal shooters. It will be a 2-3 hour drive from SD depending on when you go so make it an all day event.

Traffic will suck, big time any time of day, and it's expensive to live here. Enjoy it since you don't have a choice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by COSteve
The culture shock moving from Maine to Commiefornia will be enormous and the price shock of everything will be even worse. The average price of a home in Maine on a decent lot will buy you a rundown carport in a barrio in SoCal. A $150K salary is a starting wage for a single person just out of college. For instance, a 1,100 sf, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath townhome I bought new in 1974 for $33K in San Jose (southern part of the SF bay area), is currently going for $953K. Every other home I bought there (6 in all ranging from $78K to $380K when bought new) are now 'worth' between $1.5 and $2.5 million dollars.

Taxes in Commiefornia are the highest in the country. Base state sales tax is 7.25% but with city and county add ons, most places are up at 10%. State income taxes top out at 13.3% and property taxes are enormous compared to Maine's as a result of the high price of homes. Food prices in northern Commiefornia are double the cost here in the Denver area. (I spend time in Tracey, CA with a bud rebuilding a hotrod we first built together 37 years ago so I'm painfully aware of the costs there.)

Living in San Diego, expect to pay a fortune for housing in any decent area. The median home price in San Diego is $632,800 currently and at $468 per sq foot, that's for a small, old, 1,350 sf home or 2-3 bedroom townhome. Also, you need to get ready for the family to learn Spanish as you're actually moving into Northern Mexico. There will be areas where English is not spoken by many, where signage is in Spanish, where 'Gringos' aren't welcome.

Also be ready for the fact that everywhere you go, you'll be engulfed in traffic as you travel with what seems like 400,000 of your 'closest friends'. Even with a Billion dollars, you can't escape the crush of people. I escaped Northern Commiefornia in 1980. Best decision I've ever made to take the family out of the state even though when I first moved there in 1956 as a kid it was actually a great place to grow up in. Now, not so much unless you learn to be into all the latest ridiculous fads, spend a fortune on clothes to 'fit in', and of course, learn to be so left wing that Lenin is considered too much of a right wing conservative.

What a metric assload of nonsense. Greatly exaggerated accounting of how horrible it is here.

Denver metro area restaurant prices vs CA are slightly lower. In the grocery store, they're equivalent. I know, I worked in the Denver tech center area a bunch. Lived just south of there in Castle Rock.

Housing prices are indeed ridiculous, if you buy. Rentals are not as bad. Not great, but finding something affordable will be doable.

$150K salary out of college is possible, if you're a newly minted Data Science major in San Francisco. Otherwise, not so much.

SD traffic isn't great, but it's nowhere near as bad as Sili Valley or LA

Don't worry about speaking Spanish

My kids aren't left wing, and wear "whatever".

Sales tax, depending on city and county, averages 8-8.25%

If you like beer, SD has a world class beer scene. Enjoy that if you can.

Double check this: As a resident from another state moving to California, I believe that you are not constrained by the drop/safety test for handguns. You'll not be able to bring in standard size magazines (over 10 rounds) but can bring in guns that have not been CA safety tested. CalGuns will be the best source of info on this. Should you bring in a couple of these off-list handguns, they can be sold at a profit in an individual to individual transaction (through a dealer of course). Again, double-check this, but it is my current understanding of the situation.

At any rate, it won't kill you, just make you stronger. And hopefully you'll be able to make it back to sanity in the not too distant future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
This state is extremely diverse, geographically and contrary to popular belief, politically too.
There are vast rural wide open spaces and vast tracts of farming and ranching communities that are very conservative that offer excellent hunting and fishing opportunities.
If you have decent communication skills it is possible to network with private land owners and that can lead to world class waterfowl and deer hunting opportunities.
For many years on this page I have posted tons of success photos of me and my son hunting and fishing in Northern California.

Most of my Instagram album is from California...Blacktail deer, trout, salmon, striped bass, sturgeon, steelhead, coyotes, turkeys, black bears etc...

https://www.instagram.com/grizzskinner1/

Completely agree, Salmonella. And that is a helluva trophy album you posted there. Thanks for sharing it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 1badf350, 8 invisible), 1,549 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,904
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.