Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It's probably been 6 years or more since I've seen any in stock and after reading numerous places that they're "out of production", I'd pretty much given up hope of ever seeing them again. I was reading the Geco ammo thread and after ordering some of them, I decided to check Ammoseek once again just for the kicks. Holy Toledo, they showed Yellow Jackets in stock at several sources! I was afraid to believe it or say anything until I had them in hand. Well, got home late last night and lo and behold..
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven’t shot,or even seen, those in years either.

Let us know how they do!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Will do, but will probably be late spring before I get a chance to do so.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’ve never shot any of these. What do you like about them?

Rick
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Like the CCI Stinger, the Yellow Jackets are a "hyper velocity" round. They sacrifice a little bullet weight to get more velocity than a standard high velocity round. So basically they make spectacular explosions out of fragile targets like full pop cans and varmints. Plus the Yellow Jackets have a cool picture on the side of the box. grin
[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bhemry
Like the CCI Stinger, the Yellow Jackets are a "hyper velocity" round. They sacrifice a little bullet weight to get more velocity than a standard high velocity round. So basically they make spectacular explosions out of fragile targets like full pop cans and varmints. Plus the Yellow Jackets have a cool picture on the side of the box. grin
[Linked Image]
Plus they were alot more accurate than Stingers in every one of my rimfire rifles. Yellow Jackets were the best of the hyper velocity rounds when I was a teenager and I shot a shytload of them. Wouldn't guarantee they're much good now as the quality of all Remington .22 ammo has gone in the crapper over the years.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
good stuff. i've shot the vipers. they're good too.

mostly velocitors if'n i got to kill something now.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to own a win. 94/22 it loved the yellow jackets. what I used to hunt small game with! I used to buy them when I saw them, still have about a Brick I guess.
grin

Last edited by saddlering; 12/29/18.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When I was a kid, that's all I shot after trying tons of other types of ammo. They kill stuff really well. However, like blackheart said, "remington rimfire ammo has gone in the crapper". I will wait for you guys to try it out and if it works good, I may be interested in buying some myself. Glad to see it's available now, as it was always a great design. Accurate and deadly. But if half of it is a dud, I don't want any part of it. Remington, if you are reading this, I hope you changed and got with the program. No one likes chit ammo....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Still have a few from the case I bought on sale years ago.. Within a few months, I bought 2cases of CCI mm hp, a case of stingers, and a case of Yellowjackets.. Still have a lot of that buy left.. Since I have mostly picked up cci on sale, and Rem, or Fed. For linkers.....

Molon Labe
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 552 was decidedly meaner on woodchucks with those vs reg HV HP stuff.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I always loved yellow jackets, still have some old stock.
IMO they are the most devastating 22 on small game, chipmunk, squirrel, rabbit,coon, and close range woodchuck. But you better hit them in the head or you’ll have a big mess.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bhemry: I really liked the Remington Yellow Jacket HP's "back when".
I was miffed when Remington "abandoned" them for so long.
I consider that move by Big Green to be just another idiotic decision, in a long line of idiotic decisions, made by idiots.
I will have to give them credit for making these fine cartridges (I hope they still are!) available again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I'm not a trendsetter here.... never had much luck with yellow jackets way back when I tried them. Piss poor accuracy, more noise than my SV rounds, and way above average FTF in my rifles at the time. Maybe time to try them again? Probably not....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, in my CZ, the old ones shot 5 shot, 50 yard averages just under 1.5”. In my Kidd-barreled 10/22, they shot 5 just over 3/4” at 50 yards, which is plenty good enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're happy with that kind of accuracy, I guess any bulk ammo would probably do.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My Marlin shot them into 5 shot groups you could cover with a nickel at 50 yards back in the day. Pleny good enough for woodchucks at reasonable .22 range.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Remington used to make good guns AND ammo. I would not be making any assumptions on this ammo, as Remington has the reputation for making the worse 22 ammo sold in the usa. That being the thunder turds. I am not convinced Remington has a CRAP button they can switch on and off at will.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The truncated cone shaped bullets feed very nicely in my High Standard pistol when other highly rated brands failed to feed.. I might need to pick up a box, see if they function as well as the old stuff. If they do, I see a case of them in my near future.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 581 loved them. As some one above posted, "like Stingers, but accurate".
Thanks for the heads up.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
Thanks for the heads up.

Stole my words...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by wageslave
Thanks for the heads up.

Stole my words...

Exactamundo!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We used to use them as our Big Medicine for gophers when we were kids.

Used them sparigly.

I will not however use them in a semi auto...specifically a 10 22.

Too much schit flying out of the ejection port. Gets in your eyes.

I only shoot them out of bolt and lever guns.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Owl
The truncated cone shaped bullets feed very nicely in my High Standard pistol when other highly rated brands failed to feed.. I might need to pick up a box, see if they function as well as the old stuff. If they do, I see a case of them in my near future.

I COLLECT HI STANDARD . YOU SHOULD NOT FIRE HI VELOCITY AMMO IN THOSE PISTOLS. There is an weakness in the frame and design. You can run a million rounds with standard velocity and a good recoil spring. That is TWO things. This is regardless of what you may have read when these sold new. Time has proven this to be the reality.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a look out for some.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by bhemry
[Linked Image]
Plus they were a lot more accurate than Stingers in every one of my rimfire rifles. Yellow Jackets were the best of the hyper velocity rounds when I was a teenager and I shot a shytload of them. Wouldn't guarantee they're much good now as the quality of all Remington .22 ammo has gone in the crapper over the years.

They were awesome out of Winchester 52 28 inch barrels, killing ground squirrels at 100 yards, dead!

B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just an update. Got out and did some shooting last week. The new Yellow Jackets aren't as accurate as the old ones.. at least in my sample of two guns- CZ 455 American & Ruger 10/22 with Kidd barrel.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
All the same lot?

B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, what I'm calling the "new" Yellow Jackets, I dug out of the same 500 round brick I bought in December '18. The pictures above, are the results of the "new" Yellow Jackets fired from my CZ 455 & Ruger 10/22 on 5-30-19.

The "old" ones were from the last couple boxes of leftover Yellow Jackets from the beginning of the .22 lr ammo shortage and fired in the same two rifles- but a couple of years ago. My data shows that with the "old" stuff, the CZ averaged 1.42" 5 shot groups at 50 yards and the Kidd 10/22 averaged .84" 5 shot groups at 50 yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.