Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Mauser and Garand extractors are pretty heavy duty items vs those on a handgun.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The steel cased ammo I bought is TulAmmo.

It says "steel case non-corrosive berdan primed" on the box.

It has functioned 100% for 20 rounds, so far, and seemed to be full power loads.

Might go ahead and shoot up the rest of it, as I only bought two boxes, or 100 rounds.

I doesn't appear to have a lacquer coating on it.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is that a CW9 with its MIM extractor?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by night_owl
Steel case ammo can be excellent; it was perfected more than 80 years ago.

What do you think the Germans used in their excellent their excellent full-auto weapons e.g., MG-42, M.P.-38.
And the Russians: PPSh-41, PPD-34/38 / PPD-40, etc.

And the USA in 45ACP.

Then of course there's all that crappy, unreliable AK, Tokarev and Makarov ammo that those wacky Chinese and Russians still suffer with.
Like the Germans, they never figured out how those steel lacquered cases jammed up their guns and broke parts.

The US Military used steel case .45 ACP ammunition?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC

During WW II we made them by the billions.

Chrysler Plant at Evansville Ohio

Last edited by night_owl; 12/31/18.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by night_owl
Originally Posted by MOGC

During WW II we made them by the billions.

Chrysler Plant at Evansville Ohio

Likely due to shortages in supplies of brass, not because it's a particularly good material to make cartridge cases out of. There's a reason only bargain basement "range ammo" is made with steel cases nowadays.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, of course steel was substituted to conserve resources.
During the 30's the Germans figured out how to make excellent bottle neck rifle cartridge cases out of steel.
During the 40's the USA could not accomplish this; we could make decent steel 45 ACP.
Now 80 years later Hornady makes nice steel rifle cases.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have little experience with steel case ammo. I have shot maybe 2 boxes of it in my life and it functioned 100%. I have also shot aluminum case ammo with similar, perfect results.

But, I do have a question:

Is it really true that the lacquer melts and gums up the chamber? I have done some googling since this thread was posted and the internet warriors seem to disagree with this assertion. Most say it's a myth. Instead they claim that since steel cases don't expand and seal as rapidly as brass, it's the carbon building up that's causing a problem--a problem easily and quickly solved by simply cleaning the gun.

Does anyone have any reliable data or real world experience on the subject?

**Edited to add: Most of the reviews from people shooting steel case 9mm ammo rate it highly. Most complaints don't seem to relate to the steel case. A small percentage of shooters gripe about it being dirty or it failing to fire, but there is very little criticism than can be attributed to the steel case itself. It appears that the manufacturers are trying to produce an ultra cheap round and are cutting corners wherever possible throughout the manufacturing process. Using steel would be a way to do that. But...what negative effect does the steel case actually cause?

Last edited by Waders; 12/31/18.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Waders, here's a nice articleLucky Gunner Labs.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It won't hurt a fugkin' thing.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exactly. and there's basically no such thing as "extractor wear".

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I've read the LG study. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with handgun rounds, ideally 9mm.

The LG article was about AR-15 results. Was the bore wear due to the steel case, the powder, the projectile, or a combination of all 3? Would the results in the AR study translate to handgun ammo? I have no clue, but I'd guess not, given the difference in pressures, muzzle velocities and the obvious fact that different rounds are constructed differently. I appreciate the link though.

At this point, I don't have any plans to shoot any steel case 9mm ammo. I can buy 1000 rds of Rem brass case for about $27 more than the cheapest steel case stuff. I can get $20 for 1000 clean, once-fired, matching headstamp 9mm brass at the local gun show. That makes brass ammo only $7 more per thousand. Cheap insurance...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're welcome. Bore wear in the L.G. study is from the steel ("bi-metal") jacketed bullets loaded in the Russian 223 ammo.

abusus non tollit usum
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not here to argue but

My experience 9 45 and 223/556
Anything I Shoot volume almost exclusively shoot steel
I am old and fluffy
Peggy deals with pacemakers and I have these large round magnets on a rope I walk around (no need to bend down) and pick up my cases throw them in recycle
Have had no issues with ARS
None with mini 30s or 14

None with any Glocks I have an old gen 2 (couple thousand rds) that I never clean I just want to see when it will stop
None S&W autos

tula and Wolf still runs fine no issues

The one place it will NOT work 357mag the case will expand and you will have hell to pay to get it out

That would support the extractor argument but I just have never had that or any issues
I read the opinions till I was blue I can replace anything on an AR or Glock so I wanted to really know and never looked back

Shoot it and giggle

Of course hunting ammo quite a different story because of the bullet not the case
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 12/31/18.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Waders
I have little experience with steel case ammo. I have shot maybe 2 boxes of it in my life and it functioned 100%. I have also shot aluminum case ammo with similar, perfect results.

But, I do have a question:

Is it really true that the lacquer melts and gums up the chamber? I have done some googling since this thread was posted and the internet warriors seem to disagree with this assertion. Most say it's a myth. Instead they claim that since steel cases don't expand and seal as rapidly as brass, it's the carbon building up that's causing a problem--a problem easily and quickly solved by simply cleaning the gun.

Does anyone have any reliable data or real world experience on the subject?

**Edited to add: Most of the reviews from people shooting steel case 9mm ammo rate it highly. Most complaints don't seem to relate to the steel case. A small percentage of shooters gripe about it being dirty or it failing to fire, but there is very little criticism than can be attributed to the steel case itself. It appears that the manufacturers are trying to produce an ultra cheap round and are cutting corners wherever possible throughout the manufacturing process. Using steel would be a way to do that. But...what negative effect does the steel case actually cause?

I used to shoot a lot of Mosin Nagent surplus and after 60 or so the chambers do get sticky, but once cleaned for corrosive primers the fouling would disappear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought cases and cases of Wolf/Tula pistol ammo when the little backwater outfits I was training wouldn't budget for more. People say it's hard on extractors. My experience doesn't bear that out. People say it's dirty. It's a damn sight cleaner than the old soft-bullet wadcutter loads we burned by the thousands at the KCPD range, decades ago.

It's fine, just scrub your chamber every 300-500 rounds.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's all nonsense.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deflave
It's all nonsense.

Agreed. I put "the Real Hawkeye" on ignore a few years back and all my steel cased ammo problems disappeared immediately. It's amazing what modern technology can accomplish and within seconds.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used to shoot Wolf 9mm by the zillions - the smoke stunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is secondhand from a reluable source,
And I am a total [bleep] for countering someone elses experience.

A good friend was shooting lacquered steel case from a Glock 22.
After several mags, he loaded, and holstered the gun.
He then shot a 22 for awhile, and decided to quit.

When he tried to clear the Glock, it was locked closed on the loaded round.
He repositioned his hands, pulled on the slide, and it slid open but not far enough.
When he shifted to get the slide fully back, it slipped, slammed closed, and would not
move again. He the took it to a gunsmith who kept it overnight,and charged $25 to unload it.

The ASSUMPTION is that the lacquer caused the problem.
I don't know, and I have never left a loaded steel case in a hot chamber.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.