Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Never understood the, "marketing hype" attempted explanation for the Creedmoor's popularity. Sure a lot of piss'n and moaning about it though.

CBHS symptoms.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never understood the, "marketing hype" attempted explanation for the Creedmoor's popularity. Sure a lot of piss'n and moaning about it though.

Marketing over the long haul only works if you have a product worth marketing, something that will justify a marketing campaign.

Hornady hit a home run by doing a lot of listening and a lot of hard work. They saw what the target shooting market needed, built a round to accommodate that need.

What's not to like. Precision chambers, premium brass for a caliber known to have great bullets, a diversity of high quality factory ammo and all at a reasonable price. Why wouldn't it be successful. It's the total package, IMO, that's the secret of their success. I don't remember any maker putting the whole package together like these folks did.

Isn't it great when engineers, ballisticians and shooters lead a company, not bean counters. Maybe Remington should read a chapter or two in the Hornady book....

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CDS

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lets not forget that it wasn't all Hornady, & their engineers or marketing department. Dennis DeMille, a competitive shooter & G.M. of Creedmoore Sports played a major role in the development of the cartridge. Give Hornady credit for listening & loading good ammo.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunzo
Lets not forget that it wasn't all Hornady, & their engineers or marketing department. Dennis DeMille, a competitive shooter & G.M. of Creedmoor Sports played a major role in the development of the cartridge. Give Hornady credit for listening & loading good ammo.

Yep, they listened. Took the info and made it happen.

More than can be said for most other manufacturers...

DF

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'm sure the marketing has had something to do with it, but I think "Tulip Mania" best describes it.

If you don't know what I mean by Tulip Mania, look it up. Humans are not rational creatures, and never have been, which is why current types of marketing work at all.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Marketing over the long haul only works if you have a product worth marketing, something that will justify a marketing campaign.

Hornady hit a home run by doing a lot of listening and a lot of hard work. They saw what the target shooting market needed, built a round to accommodate that need.

What's not to like. Precision chambers, premium brass for a caliber known to have great bullets, a diversity of high quality factory ammo and all at a reasonable price. Why wouldn't it be successful. It's the total package, IMO, that's the secret of their success. I don't remember any maker putting the whole package together like these folks did.

Isn't it great when engineers, ballisticians and shooters lead a company, not bean counters. Maybe Remington should read a chapter or two in the Hornady book....

DF

That is the difference.

A package was created...and then they marketed the hell out of it.

To experienced shooters, it is the marketing that causes discomfort as they know there equally effective products that were not packaged or marketed as aggressively.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Adamjp,

Perhaps you could list those "equally effective products."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and perhaps examples of all these 'marketing the hell out of it'....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This tread is getting more interesting by the minute. I bought a Mossberg predator 6.5 Creedmoor in 2017 after shooting my son-in-law's Ruger predator and was not disappointed by all the "marketing hype". Don't remember who said " It's not bragging if you can do it" but it certainly applies to the Creedmoor. I have taken whitetail and antelope with it since drinking the Creedmoor koolaid and seen several others taken from 100 to 450 yards and am sold on the round. I especially appreciate the mild recoil on my 65 yo shoulder too.

Ken

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Adamjp,

The .260 Remington can do all that the 6.5 Creedmoor can do. The was no real marketing behind it, and the first rifles were barreled with slow twist rates. Switch the two marketing strategies and we'd all Be singing the praises of the .260. The two rounds are very close.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Close is like second place, ya still lost.... smile

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

260 Remington
6.5x47 Lapua
7-08 Remington

Are three cartridges that are equally effective, launching bullets with a G1 BC above .65 at 2650fps to 2750fps. The two Remington cartridges were not marketed terribly well and suffered poor uptake leading to poor choices of factory ammunition.

In my experience the Lapua cartridge is slightly easier to get an accurate load for than the Creedmoor, but it is a handloader only proposition (with relatively expensive high quality brass). So whilst it is equally effective, it isn't even close in availability and only appeals to those who build custom rifles and handload. It is not an 'everyman' proposition like the others.

You could also throw 6.5 Swede in there too if you were shooting a Tikka T3 with their medium length action.

Some will say that the 260 gets higher velocities than the Creed, which delivers higher velocities than the Lapua. At less than 70fps between each one that difference is a mind game, not a discernible difference at the point of impact. It is ammunition in summer v winter, a fast barrel v a slow one, a 24in v a 22in barrel.

Similarly, you could add a fast twist 243 and 22/250 in there if companies chose to make them. After all, a 6mm Creedmoor equals performance of a 243 but commonly found twisted to 1:8 or 1:7.5 instead of the usual 243 1:9.5 or 1:10.

I'm not saying the Creedmoor does not deserve a reputation for easy accuracy and useful performance for the everyman. There is no other combination that you could buy from most any sporting goods store that would perform as well out of the box - this is why the 223 is more popular than the 222 or 222 Magnum. I am saying that equal results can be achieved with other cartridges when chambered in rifles with similar specifications and loaded with similar ammunition.

Many years ago the same feverish support was observed around the 270 Winchester and the 300 Weatherby at their respective times so this is nothing new in the shooting world.

Last edited by Adamjp; 01/02/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Adamjp

There is no other combination that you could buy from most any sporting goods store that would perform as well out of the box

Seems like you answered MD's question right there.

If it ain't available off the shelf, it ain't an "equally effective product".

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 65X54
Close is like second place, ya still lost.... smile

Yep... grin

Adamjp, you make points that contradict your premise. As has been pointed out, it's the total package, from case, to bore, to twist, to bullets, to brass, to quality factory ammo, to price off the shelf, etc., etc...

All the points you make just reinforce all those good second place winners...

Those you reference just have pieces of the pie, but "if only they had faster twist, etc, etc."

They don't... blush

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/02/19.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PHWILLIE
Don't remember who said " It's not bragging if you can do it" but it certainly applies to the Creedmoor.

Ken

Elmer Keith

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Availability off the shelf and being an effective cartridge are not the same thing.

Definition of effective in English:

effective ADJ.
1 Successful in producing a desired or intended result.

A cartridge's effectiveness is usually considered in terms of accuracy and the influence it has on the intended target.

Originally Posted by WhelenAway
If it ain't available off the shelf, it ain't an "equally effective product".

By this measure a 223 is more effective than any other centrefire cartridge. We all know that for many uses the 223 is not as effective as other cartridges. This is why it is illegal in some places for certain uses.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is an effective target and light/medium game cartridge. The 260 Remington, 7-08 Remington, 6.5x55 Swedish and 6.5x47 Lapua are equally effective in these roles by virtue of their relatively light recoil, ability to launch accurate .65+ G1 BC bullets at 2650 to 2750fps and where necessary, good terminal results on normal medium game. If you were to take a Tikka T3 Varmit in each of these cartridges, buy or assemble equal cartridges then it would difficult to spot a difference between them.

Availability at your local sporting goods store is not a measure of effectiveness of the cartridge, it is a measure of customer demand, cost, profit margin and supplier reliability.

Last edited by Adamjp; 01/02/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Late getting back here. I honestly have no idea what that "Hornady marketing hype" is or was or WTF? I don't do cable TV, gun magazines, nada. I heard about it here, read about it online from other users, one gun writer (token gun writer? LOL), bought one, shot it, read more, liked it, bought more, shot more, liked it more, and sticking with it.

Hater be haters. Missing the point ain't "effective." LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Adamjp

260 Remington
6.5x47 Lapua
7-08 Remington

Are three cartridges that are equally effective, launching bullets with a G1 BC above .65 at 2650fps to 2750fps. The two Remington cartridges were not marketed terribly well and suffered poor uptake leading to poor choices of factory ammunition.

In my experience the Lapua cartridge is slightly easier to get an accurate load for than the Creedmoor, but it is a handloader only proposition (with relatively expensive high quality brass). So whilst it is equally effective, it isn't even close in availability and only appeals to those who build custom rifles and handload. It is not an 'everyman' proposition like the others.

You could also throw 6.5 Swede in there too if you were shooting a Tikka T3 with their medium length action.

Some will say that the 260 gets higher velocities than the Creed, which delivers higher velocities than the Lapua. At less than 70fps between each one that difference is a mind game, not a discernible difference at the point of impact. It is ammunition in summer v winter, a fast barrel v a slow one, a 24in v a 22in barrel.

Similarly, you could add a fast twist 243 and 22/250 in there if companies chose to make them. After all, a 6mm Creedmoor equals performance of a 243 but commonly found twisted to 1:8 or 1:7.5 instead of the usual 243 1:9.5 or 1:10.

I'm not saying the Creedmoor does not deserve a reputation for easy accuracy and useful performance for the everyman. There is no other combination that you could buy from most any sporting goods store that would perform as well out of the box - this is why the 223 is more popular than the 222 or 222 Magnum. I am saying that equal results can be achieved with other cartridges when chambered in rifles with similar specifications and loaded with similar ammunition.

Many years ago the same feverish support was observed around the 270 Winchester and the 300 Weatherby at their respective times so this is nothing new in the shooting world.

And the 260 Bobcat (aka 6.5 x 250 Sav) predates those three you mentioned (except for the grand old 6.5x55 SE) BUT Hornady hit the Creedmoor home run, so I give credit where credit is due...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.