Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some steel cased ammo when I got my new Glock 19 9MM

Didn't even realize it was steel cased until I got it home.

Only bought two boxes, and after is gone, probably won't buy more.

Am wondering what "the fire" thinks about shooting this stuff?

Thanks for any feed back!

Virgil B.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I think that, at the very least, they are a little harder on extractor hooks. Also, if it's got a lacquer on it (which many times they do), this can melt (once the barrel gets hot) and accumulate in the chamber, which can be hard to clean out and could cause reliability issues.

Bottom line, I won't use it.

I have a few old boxes of it (Wolf brand) that I bought many years ago not realizing it was steel cased, but I wouldn't use them unless I had no other option. They will likely be included in my legacy, i.e., I will likely never use them.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hawkeye:

Thanks for the feed back!

I sure won't buy any more on purpose.

I mostly buy CCI Blazer brass practice ammo

Might "gift" this stuff to someone.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Winchester 115 gr stuff shoots really well in both of my 9mms. I bought the first 2 boxes not realizing it was steel cased. Shot that up and went back like a rimfire hoarder.

It's the only reason I can walk through the door of wal mart...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is accurate and functions well in both of MY 9mms, but my son bought a Kel Tec PF9 and it doesn't function well in that.

So on one of his trips to the range he shot up 200 of my Gold Dot G2 stash.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I used 200 rounds of this stuff for break-in on the Kahr. It all shot fine, the pistol never hiccup'd.

[Linked Image]

If my memory serves me, this was the first 50 rounds, at 20 yards, just pushing them out.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I used 200 rounds of this stuff for break-in on the Kahr. It all shot fine, the pistol never hiccup'd.

[Linked Image]

If my memory serves me, this was the first 50 rounds, at 20 yards, just pushing them out.

[Linked Image]

Those don't look like they have any sort of lacquer coating, so shouldn't create hard deposits within the chamber, but they are still steel, and likely will accelerate wear on your extractor. There's a reason a softer metal (most commonly brass) is the standard in manufacturing shell casings, despite being more expensive than steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steel case ammo can be excellent; it was perfected more than 80 years ago.

What do you think the Germans used in their excellent their excellent full-auto weapons e.g., MG-42, M.P.-38.
And the Russians: PPSh-41, PPD-34/38 / PPD-40, etc.

And the USA in 45ACP.

Then of course there's all that crappy, unreliable AK, Tokarev and Makarov ammo that those wacky Chinese and Russians still suffer with.
Like the Germans, they never figured out how those steel lacquered cases jammed up their guns and broke parts.

Last edited by night_owl; 12/30/18.

abusus non tollit usum
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Its been quite a while since I've seen lacquered steel case ammo for sale but wouldn't be surprised if there was still some available at out of the way places or in the back of someone's closet. I know I have two spam cans of such for the Mosin-Nagants and probably a couple packs for the SKS and AR15 hiding someplace. I wouldn't want to use the old 5.56 ammo as it can foul the chamber and is a bear to clean out. I also feel the powder or primers are slightly corrosive as I have seen rust form shortly after using the old stuff.

The newer ammo with the polymer coating hasn't been a problem. I have several boxes of it in 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I use it for general plinking at the cabin where finding my empties is mostly a dream. I use only a couple of guns for this and consider replacing an extractor as a part of regular maintenance so potential of increased wear means the extractor gets replaced a bit sooner than normal. I still clean the gun soon after use as the current ammo has the same foul odor as the old and I wish to minimize any corrosion problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lacquer coated ammo is still readily available. Don't use it if you can afford anything better.

9mm Barnaul laquer coated

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I run steel cased Tul-ammo in my 9 mil Shield from time to time. I don't use it all the time but when I do it feeds and extracts that stuff like a champ. Not too shabby in accuracy either

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Winchester stuff I shot above, wasn't lacquered.

It did seem to have a light dry lube on the case, very faint but perceptible powdery feel to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't speak to using steel cased cartridges for your Glock, but my HK USPc is a no-go. From the ammunition section of my HK owners manual:

"CAUTION: HK firearms are designed to function with quality manufactured brass cased ammunition. Use of steel or aluminum cased cartridges is not recommended and could adversely affect safe and reliable functioning. For further information on ammunition selection, contact HK Customer Service at 706-568-1906."

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I can't speak to using steel cased cartridges for your Glock, but my HK USPc is a no-go. From the ammunition section of my HK owners manual:

"CAUTION: HK firearms are designed to function with quality manufactured brass cased ammunition. Use of steel or aluminum cased cartridges is not recommended and could adversely affect safe and reliable functioning. For further information on ammunition selection, contact HK Customer Service at 706-568-1906."

H.K.'s USPc manual also commands:

" Do not fire ammunition through the pistol that:
Is foreign and/or outdated military surplus ..."

So.. According to H.K. American military surplus is fine. - but, all Foreign Military surplus 9x19 is a no no (at least that's H.K. prescription for the "American consumer").

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got quite a bit of bulk TulAmmo 45ACP to practice with.

It's functioned well. Maybe a tad more powder fouling, but cases extract and feed fine. Accurate.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I got quite a bit of bulk TulAmmo 45ACP to practice with.

It's functioned well. Maybe a tad more powder fouling, but cases extract and feed fine. Accurate.

Yeah, they work fine, but if they have lacquer, it will build up in the chamber and get hard in there. Also, as stated, it will accelerate wear of the extractor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl

So.. According to H.K. American military surplus is fine. - but, all Foreign Military surplus 9x19 is a no no (at least that's H.K. prescription for the "American consumer").

Hmmm.....if I live in another country I'm not supposed to use American military surplus? Or are the pistols "tuned" for their respective countries of residence by some black magic?? laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by night_owl

Hmmm.....if I live in another country I'm not supposed to use American military surplus? Or are the pistols "tuned" for their respective countries of residence by some black magic?? laugh

[Linked Image]

Tuned by German Elves.

abusus non tollit usum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It rusts on rainy days.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have used several varieties of russian 9mm ammo for years in any number of 9mm's. zero problems cept some appeared to be a little underpowered.
for plinking at close ranges not an issue.
i don't run guns hot enough to melt surface coatings.
I think i might have a 30.06 steel casing somewhere obtained from one of patton's WWII training centers on the arizona desert.
it's certainly not a new idea.
I watch a lot of battlefield recovery primarily in russia. some of the ammo found still looks pretty good.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.