Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zero Celsius is 32F.

Killi, at elevation in a 32F bag?

Good luck.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Also keep in mind that many bag makers now use the European standard for temp rating. A zero degree bag doesn't mean you'll be warm and cozy at 0. It means that you can survive at 0. The bag will be warm and cozy at 10 to 15 at the lowest, maybe 20 if you're a cold sleeper.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like bags with a large foot box. The more mummy the warmer, I get that, but I’d like some room.

How’s that change recommendations?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That is why I bought a Marmot Lithium...bigger foot box.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There are several extremely good choices, my two favourite brands being Valandre and Western Mountaineering.

My choice these days is a Valandre Bloody Mary which packs light and small, and is good for 90pct of my hunts.

In late season, or when hunting high altitude, I scale up by sleeping on my KUIU Super Down Jacket and Pants, their Ultras or Pros depending 0on how late in the season and how high I am.

If it gets really cold I wear Valandre's Olan down booties, and KUIUs Down Glassing Mitts.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tag

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I wouldn't give Jerry Wigutow a dime, and I sure wouldn't get an 8lb sleeping bag.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what temps are you hunting in? I personally have ran a 20 degree bag for years. I have used it down to close to zero, I simply just wear more clothes depending on the temps I expect that night. I hate being hot in a sleeping bag, The whole too hot, stick a leg out, too cold thing drives me nuts. in cold weather I also wear a large beenie that pulls down to my nose that keeps my head and neck warm, kuiu marion 210 bottoms, 210 top, hoodie, even 210 gloves to keep my hands warm if I poke them out at night. IMO this is way way better than trying to use a zero degree bag. My dad always bought me zero degree sleeping bags as a kid and I hated them. I run a cabelas boundary waters large rectanglar down bag, plenty of room, they no longer sell them, but LL bean makes one pretty close to it currently. its light enough to backpack and I have taken it lots of times that way. its also NOT a mummy bag either. kinda a unique combo of light weight and good size. had it for nearly 15 years, its nice knowing my sleeping bag and exactly what I need for a given night.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I hate being hot in a sleeping bag, The whole too hot, stick a leg out, too cold thing drives me nuts. in cold weather I also wear a large beenie that pulls down to my nose that keeps my head and neck warm, kuiu marion 210 bottoms, 210 top, hoodie, even 210 gloves to keep my hands warm if I poke them out at night. IMO this is way way better than trying to use a zero degree bag.

Given the choice of having to unzip a bag that's too warm to ventilate vs. attempting to sleep in a 20 degree bag in honest-to-goodness zero degree temps, it's not even close.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
I hate being hot in a sleeping bag, The whole too hot, stick a leg out, too cold thing drives me nuts. in cold weather I also wear a large beenie that pulls down to my nose that keeps my head and neck warm, kuiu marion 210 bottoms, 210 top, hoodie, even 210 gloves to keep my hands warm if I poke them out at night. IMO this is way way better than trying to use a zero degree bag.

Given the choice of having to unzip a bag that's too warm to ventilate vs. attempting to sleep in a 20 degree bag in honest-to-goodness zero degree temps, it's not even close.

umm ok, I guess you know more than I do. big game hunts around here are done by mid November, should be the same to the east of me in colorado as well. I hunt longer as I hunt high deserts in nevada into december. upper single digits was the coldest temps I stayed in this year. I have used my gear down to about zero although I am unsure of the exact temp. I have to ask what are you doing camping in Antarctica? if its below zero I am staying in the truck, the tent, whatever that is my threshold. I spend 25+ days a year in the sleeping bag I mentioned. YES give me a 20 degree bag and I will simply wear the appropriate clothes to bed to make up the difference. kuiu merino wool goes with a down sleeping bag like I have like burgers and fries. I often sleep better than I do at home. Also when the days are short its common to just throw up a tent cook dinner and go to bed before 8:00, its common to be asleep for 10 hours before getting up the next morning fully refreshed.

you have your system I have mine, I know what works for me emphatically over 15 years and lots of nights in nearly all temps, you can wear more clothes and adjust to make your sleeping bag warmer, but you can't make a sleeping bag cooler. nothing wakes me up like being hot cold, hot cold,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Given the choice of having to unzip a bag that's too warm to ventilate vs. attempting to sleep in a 20 degree bag in honest-to-goodness zero degree temps, it's not even close."

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

cumminscowboy...

Of the "School of Better Safe Than Sorry"...mountains will kill you if you take your attention off of them for even a moment. Fields, woods, hilly country...not so much.

Only YOU can determine YOUR margin of safety that you are comfortable with.

Don't NEED more than a cylinder or magazine of cartridges in bear country, but always carry a couple extra in my pocket, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

umm ok, I guess you know more than I do. big game hunts around here are done by mid November, should be the same to the east of me in colorado as well. I hunt longer as I hunt high deserts in nevada into december. upper single digits was the coldest temps I stayed in this year. I have used my gear down to about zero although I am unsure of the exact temp. I have to ask what are you doing camping in Antarctica? if its below zero I am staying in the truck, the tent, whatever that is my threshold. I spend 25+ days a year in the sleeping bag I mentioned. YES give me a 20 degree bag and I will simply wear the appropriate clothes to bed to make up the difference. kuiu merino wool goes with a down sleeping bag like I have like burgers and fries. I often sleep better than I do at home. Also when the days are short its common to just throw up a tent cook dinner and go to bed before 8:00, its common to be asleep for 10 hours before getting up the next morning fully refreshed.

you have your system I have mine, I know what works for me emphatically over 15 years and lots of nights in nearly all temps, you can wear more clothes and adjust to make your sleeping bag warmer, but you can't make a sleeping bag cooler. nothing wakes me up like being hot cold, hot cold,

This is a good part of why I switched to a quilt. It can be tucked in tight or left loose for more ventilation. A zipper is a pain when you have to get up in the night, too. With a quilt, just toss it off and get up. You sleep without a zipper at home, why not in the hills? A quilt works like the blankets on your bed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This is a good part of why I switched to a quilt. It can be tucked in tight or left loose for more ventilation. A zipper is a pain when you have to get up in the night, too. With a quilt, just toss it off and get up. You sleep without a zipper at home, why not in the hills? A quilt works like the blankets on your bed.

good advice, I do as you are suggesting when its warmer at night, like say not getting below 50 degrees. I usually lay a blanket on my sleeping pad and upzip the entire bag and use it as a blanket. sheriff joe, I have spent over 250 nights in this sleeping bag, I don't know about you but I think that is quite a bit!!! I am comfortable with my margins and preparedness level.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All outstanding insights. Especially when the OP asked for recommendations on a zero degree bag.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yup...that's why I own and recommend the Marmot Lithium.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All outstanding insights. Especially when the OP asked for recommendations on a zero degree bag.

Stuck on stupid huh? You don’t have to agree, my dad always thought i needed 0 degree. 250 nights say otherwise

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
what temps are you hunting in? I personally have ran a 20 degree bag for years. I have used it down to close to zero, I simply just wear more clothes depending on the temps I expect that night. I hate being hot in a sleeping bag, The whole too hot, stick a leg out, too cold thing drives me nuts. in cold weather I also wear a large beenie that pulls down to my nose that keeps my head and neck warm, kuiu marion 210 bottoms, 210 top, hoodie, even 210 gloves to keep my hands warm if I poke them out at night. IMO this is way way better than trying to use a zero degree bag. My dad always bought me zero degree sleeping bags as a kid and I hated them. I run a cabelas boundary waters large rectanglar down bag, plenty of room, they no longer sell them, but LL bean makes one pretty close to it currently. its light enough to backpack and I have taken it lots of times that way. its also NOT a mummy bag either. kinda a unique combo of light weight and good size. had it for nearly 15 years, its nice knowing my sleeping bag and exactly what I need for a given night.

Yikes...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I like bags with a large foot box. The more mummy the warmer, I get that, but I’d like some room.

How’s that change recommendations?

I am 6'4" size 14 shoe. I love the Marmot Never Summer of course I get the long which you won't need. But great room inside.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.