Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Traded a fellow (20 years ago?) a half. Ounce of gold for a new in the box Withworth in .458 Win Mag. It still sets in my safe unfired and is being saved for a rainy day. The other on I had was carried on my bear ventures up Tustemena and never got used, though I had 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it. I kept it handy for back up if needed and primarily, kept it for bear watch. The recoil was a bitch at practice. A year later I got the itch for a custom Mauser so had a 416 made. It is plenty accurate. The first time I had to use it was on a fox that had all the signs of being rabid. It worked fine (as one might guess) and the 400 grain roundnose at 2,350 did the trick handily. The recoil was still a bitch but I must admit recoil in shooting that first brownie at 4 steps might have been at a 22 short level for all I remember.

All this time I had an old 338 Win that had been carried for a decade prior to the above. It was/is a veteran of close to 25 bears (of the black tribe) and scores of deer, caribou and moose. It also is a veteran of the brownie sucker that thought it might be a good thing to climb my tree and get ornery. A one handed hold on the rifle and the other to the tree was all that gutter trash needed to go to bear heaven if there is one.

I still have these three but absolutely fell in love with a Sako 10 carbine with a 20” barrel, the TRG action/trigger group and a dandy McMillan stock. So far it is very accurate and very easy to carry or bring into action. This year’s moose was an easy take being only 50 yards away. I did have a very close encounter this last spring where the “cock of the walk” grizz was at 5 feet. But that’s a story for another time. He is still kicking so will try to organize him in April or May...

I am afraid that the other rifles will be used les should and less from here on out. I suspect the.375 is my answer to the OP’s question.

Last edited by bearhuntr; 01/01/19.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've never hunted Alaska and never will but was wondering if anyone up there uses the Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. I owned that combo for a while and thought it might be useful as a quick shooting thumper. There's not much need for a thumper of any sort here in New England.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by eblake
I've never hunted Alaska and never will but was wondering if anyone up there uses the Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. I owned that combo for a while and thought it might be useful as a quick shooting thumper. There's not much need for a thumper of any sort here in New England.

I knew a lady who lived out in Dillingham who had a 7600 carbine chambered for the Whelen. She claimed it killed moose reliably enough.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Shot my moose with a bolt action 35 Whelen this year. A 7600 would have worked just as well. Keep it clean and lightly lubed and they work fine.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't know the answer but the 338 and 375 are medium bores and both see a fair amount of use as all around Alaskan cartridges. Fish & game did some testing on bear defense rifles and decided the 458 was too much for a lot of shooters and slower on followup shots.

We carried riot shot guns for bears in camp at night with Brennekes and 00 buck. Never had to use it but it made me feel better when all I could see was a darker patch of bear at about 15 feet one night. The dogs proved better protection than the fire arms and I yelled to my buddy to not shoot with his 44 mag. as that would have pissed the bear off.

The Whelen and 9.3x62 would be about ideal as a general medium bore too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have one in the AI version... a couple bears and moose, caribou, and deer...

Would not be my first choice any more due to concerns about extraction if minor events conspire a bit. Went to small base dies and reduced loads, but then, why bother?

Very happy with smaller bores, lighter bullets, and more speed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I am contemplating re-boring my Rem 760 in 308 to 358 or even 375 Win for a LW carry carbine. Yeah, "mid-bore" but I think it would have enough oompf. We head to Alaska in Apr 2020.

Or...should I stay with 308 and shoot some tough bullets...?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kaboku68
50 Alaskan.

+1...in a Winchester 71 conversion. Fastest follow up shots, ultimate knockdown power. Marlins need not apply (actions too weak compared to Win).

There, NOW we may close this thread! wink

Last edited by desertoakie; 01/01/19.

Ken
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I am contemplating re-boring my Rem 760 in 308 to 358 or even 375 Win for a LW carry carbine. Yeah, "mid-bore" but I think it would have enough oompf. We head to Alaska in Apr 2020.

Do you really mean .375 Winch? That's a significantly smaller case than the 308 so it will be a rather complicated conversion.

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I luv this person >> I have a real problem with this thinking I maybe wrong>> I have heard and >>READ> this rag and rag again and the NEW HUNTER THINKING >>>As bullets got better,bore's lost diameter.

Hint................

IC B3

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So your never under Gunned>> take the new 25-o6 to a brown bear hunt because my new bullet is better !!!>>Mass Kills big things! 22 swift kills GOOFS>> but not Bears>>and that what the rags are saying you take a Knife to a gun fight> NO you take a 270 to a brown Bear Fight >> I would say the Bear will win >> put that on his coffin Rag!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Do you really mean .375 Winch? That's a significantly smaller case than the 308 so it will be a rather complicated conversion.

My mistake...I am not sure what I was thinking of.

Maybe I was caught up in the 375-08 (375 Raptor?) but JES doesn't list that as an option.

Last edited by Pahntr760; 01/01/19. Reason: Derp
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Originally Posted by kaboku68
50 Alaskan.

+1...in a Winchester 71 conversion. Fastest follow up shots, ultimate knockdown power. Marlins need not apply (actions too weak compared to Win).

There, NOW we may close this thread! wink

If only "knock-down power" existed...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
"If I was going out to pack game back in...12ga w/ Brennekes."

One of the last combos I would choose. There are more piss poor choices for bear protection, but not many.

Yeah genius...what is your profound knowledge of bears, let alone Wilderness? Betting you haven't been off your couch in years..........if ever.

You made a very bad choice for someone to call out... He might have actually used a handgun on a charging Kodiak bear... and may just have tremendous time in seriously wild country.

And I will say he is widely respected...

And I agree with his comments.

While I've not had to shoot any charging bears, I have spent a fair amount of time(going on 34 years) working/hunting/fishing/camping in just about every corner of Alaska. To include "going out to pack game". But, it looks like there's a new sheriff in Alaska, so I'll defer to his vast knowledge and experience. smile

I thought there was an incident at Uganik Lake?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranting
I luv this person >> I have a real problem with this thinking I maybe wrong>> I have heard and >>READ> this rag and rag again and the NEW HUNTER THINKING >>>As bullets got better,bore's lost diameter.

Hint................

I doubt you would find many taking your advice over his... though many might not admit it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
"If I was going out to pack game back in...12ga w/ Brennekes."

One of the last combos I would choose. There are more piss poor choices for bear protection, but not many.

Yeah genius...what is your profound knowledge of bears, let alone Wilderness? Betting you haven't been off your couch in years..........if ever.

Read two of your comments before. Never saw you before. What I learned from those two is there is a DSMF involved here. And AK Jeff does not fit that bill....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Ranting
My vote would be the 375 H&H!>> why MMM It just does the JOB! not the 375 >> other garbage want to be 375ss!i

If I may, what country were you educated?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I will also ad, I have no clue how anyone can read more than a couple of rantings posts. Need to send him some grammar lessons and a major RX of chill pills.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This post get my vote !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Most of my time in Alaska has been with a .338WM which did just fine. When I finally moved up to a 375HH it worked fine on the moose we took. But to answer the OP query, I think the 375 is probably the most popular of the "Big Bores" with the people I have encountered while hunting in Alaska. Lots of others out there though.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,414
Posts18,528,194
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.