Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't know why I want to keep them on there myself, I can't see a clear front sight anymore anyways. I just like it.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a fan of Smoothicity...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
First shots. 52 yards, 5X prism. Bipod/beanbag on Magpul polymer handguard.
4300 ft, 20F, near calm.

75gr Hornady BTHP over 24.0 gr XTerminator.

Four 5-shot groups on paper, first three sub-1", got sloppy on the last one.

Not bad for a new barrel. I need to make a decision if I want to float it or not. Leaning toward floating it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very nice

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
After I sighted it in, I did some plinking out to 300 yards or so, Upper functioned great. I put the rifle lower on for the first run to have a pretty rigid lower, and give the rifle a good chance to perform.

I'll be getting some on-paper results out to longer distances eventually, curious to quantify results out around 500 yards or so

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Certainly nothing to complain about.

Politics is War by Other Means
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The absolute number one thing you can do to ensure a static zero is a free-float handguard.

Montana Marine,

Troy Delta Rail is what you want.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
From a few years ago.

Colt M4 with Geissele SSF, SWFA SS 3-9x, A2 FH, and using MK262 Mod1 ammo. The test was that the gun was zeroed at 100 yards on a NRA B8 bull from sand bags, with over lapping bulls replaced each cycle. 20 rounds were used to confirm zero (2x10), and then two rounds per 10 different positions/rests/attachments.

Standard KAC handguards on left, the exact same gun with drop in Troy Delta rail on right.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's a real difference.

Is the Troy product significantly better than similar two-piece floaters from Daniel Defense (Omega), or Midwest Industries?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The absolute number one thing you can do to ensure a static zero is a free-float handguard.

Montana Marine,

Troy Delta Rail is what you want.

Educate me.

When considering free-float rails, it is my perception that its job is to stay in place and not break. Why would I spend $250 on a rail that does those things no better than a $70 rail?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
That's a real difference.

Is the Troy product significantly better than similar two-piece floaters from Daniel Defense (Omega), or Midwest Industries?

Neither MI not DD make an extended FF drop in.

Originally Posted by RiverRider

Educate me.

When considering free-float rails, it is my perception that its job is to stay in place and not break. Why would I spend $250 on a rail that does those things no better than a $70 rail?

I am unaware of a $70 drop in, free float extended rail?

As for a what a rail should do, it’s a bit more than stay in place and not break, however it may not matter for your uses.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I was over at the Troy website looking around, the only mid-length Delta rail I see is the M-Lok style. Having two M-Lok float tubes already, I'm not a fan. I find I'm always working around the gas block, or even barrel contact with the M-Lok bolts.

So, Quad Rail for me. Is the Troy MRF a decent rail?

I wouldn't mind a mid-extended tube with the FSB cutout, but not to keen on the M-Lok style.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Are you sure it was MLOK? Troy’s VTAC Version looks like MLOK but is not. However, the answer is to use KDG Kinetic rails for MLOK.

In any case, it doesn’t apply to the Delta Rail setup. Look how the rail is designed.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
To answer your last question- the MRF is fine as a handguard but if you are going to get rid of the FSP there are better/lighter/stiffer rails available.

If you want to have a drop in free float handguard, the Troy Delta or Charlie rail is it.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the pic, I'll look at the mid VTAC.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
To answer your last question- the MRF is fine as a handguard but if you are going to get rid of the FSP there are better/lighter/stiffer rails available.

If you want to have a drop in free float handguard, the Troy Delta or Charlie rail is it.

I'm keeping the FSB. I see a 9" MRF available on Troy's site. I thought that would work on my mid-length.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a mid gas VTAC I can send you to check out if you want. Just sitting in a box.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a mid gas VTAC I can send you to check out if you want. Just sitting in a box.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'll just make a purchase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was over at the Troy website looking around, the only mid-length Delta rail I see is the M-Lok style. Having two M-Lok float tubes already, I'm not a fan. I find I'm always working around the gas block, or even barrel contact with the M-Lok bolts.

I wouldn't mind a mid-extended tube with the FSB cutout, but not to keen on the M-Lok style.

MM, you mentioned contact with the barrel and/or gas block and it made me suspicious of my own setups. I'm using inexpensive full-length free-float rails of the keymod persuasion on two rifles (soon to be four), and one is particularly skinny. Sure enough, I have a device attached to the rail directly beneath the gas block on that rifle. I was able to verify that I have at least 20 thousandths of an inch clearance between the gas block and the keymod backing nuts. I suppose that's enough. I have not used any M-Lok stuff so I can't say one way or another, but keymod may work for you better than M-Lok. If you're inclined to go with either of the systems, that is.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RiverRider

MM, you mentioned contact with the barrel and/or gas block and it made me suspicious of my own setups. I'm using inexpensive full-length free-float rails of the keymod persuasion on two rifles (soon to be four), and one is particularly skinny. Sure enough, I have a device attached to the rail directly beneath the gas block on that rifle. I was able to verify that I have at least 20 thousandths of an inch clearance between the gas block and the keymod backing nuts. I suppose that's enough. I have not used any M-Lok stuff so I can't say one way or another, but keymod may work for you better than M-Lok. If you're inclined to go with either of the systems, that is.

Thanks for the info on that, I've never had anything keymod. I've pretty much decided for me, it's going to be picatinny quad rail.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.