Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In my M70 Classic Stainless, I loaded the 168 TTSX over 55.5 gr of Big Game, Fed 210 match primer, WW brass, length of 3.335". I got good accuracy, chrono'd 2903 fps from 24" tube.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I an sorry, but if you have close to MOA out of the Barnes Vor-Tx you have to be a little goofy between the ears not to start there and run up to book max with several powders. The COAL will remain constant with Barnes bullets. MOA is telling you that it is close to being optimal for that rifle. It may be optimal for that rifle and barrel time just needs twead bu pushing a little more or less with the charge. Once you have the best you can get with the powder charge, then try adjusting seating depth in .005 increments to see if you can get a little more accuracy.

I have solved more than 50 rifles for monos andnot being methodical is the fastest way to mess up.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
1) Don't make a bunch of anything until you've tested the loads and know you're gonna be happy with the finished product.

2) It's foolish not to start load development for any load at max COAL (max mag length, a light kiss, whatever your limiting factor is). If you start at max COAL then shorten your loads you will never get into pressure trouble. Barnes bullets are no different, two of my rifles shoot best accuracy w/ Barnes bullets at max COAL.

3) Loading over max book loads is no big deal as long as you have a reliable chronograph and are targeting a barrel length compensated book velocity. Targeting velocities over book is asking for trouble. If you don't have a reliable chronograph book max is your powder charge limit.

4) Get some RL17. It works really well in the 30-06. It generally will get you ~100fps over H4350 at same pressures. In cartridges where the load results in a full case of powder ( it will in this case), it won't have any appreciable temp. sensitivity.

David

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is a reason why experienced handloaders use a chronograph when working up new loads.
Firstly, 2 points so far overlooked:

1. Vortex factory ammo is loaded very light to ensure safety in any .30/06 rifle regardless of age.
2. Vortex ammo in a 22 inch barrel only reaches 2662fps across my Oehler 35P and.my batch has an OAL of 3.280".

Some logical and reasonable assumptions based on what is known..........
a) 150 grainers achieve around 3050fps in most rifles
b) 180's very commonly break 2800fps

When working with 168's or 165's, it is reasonable to consider 2900fps or a touch more as a reasonable maximum velocity is it not? By using bullet weights either side of our selection and a reliable chronograph, you can better reach an informative conclusion and also "learn" which of your reloading manuals matches closest to your factual results.

This eliminates the pointless arguments over who is more correct on the internet.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Valid points!

I'm just wondering if you guys know this is a 5 year old thread?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm using 56.5 grains of H4350 at a COAL of 3.380 with the 168 TTSX for about 2900 fps in my Rem 700 with a 24" Benchmark barrel. It shoots sub MOA.

As others have said, use a chrono and work up your loads from a few grains below max. Somewhere around 2900 fps should be a safe maximum for 165/168 grain bullets.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I use 3.260 with Barnes 165gr TTSX bullets in my 30/06. I get Great accuracy.

T
T
Buffalo bore make something different with their 30-06 SUPERCHARGED LEAD-FREE.
168 TTSX out 24" barrel at 3,028 fps

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Esox357
Why not use the factory COAL of 3.275 if they are shooting so well?

What powder are you using?

Work up some loads in .5 increments in batches of 3, loading up to book max, CAREFULLY. Then fire three rounds at 100 yards letting barrel cool between shot strings. See which group or 2 is the best, then reload 5 of those loads and verify it. This will give you an idea before blowing a bunch of money and time.

I have to agree with this, and I am very green when it comes to reloading. I loaded up 5 cases is each charge twice and then said to hell with that. Three rounds of each gives you a good idea of how they shoot, and then decide on a couple and take it to 5 shot groups. I go in .5 grain increments and then I narrow it down to a couple and drop it to .2 or .3 grain increments for fine tuning.

The wife bought me a Magneto Speed for Christmas, so I am testing 165 gr. TTSX with StaBALL 6.5 and I am using the Satterly method for those. Since I’m having a harder time finding bullets now, I’ve got to save as much as I can, so I can have a good load come bear season, or so that’s my plan anyways.

Last edited by Hudge; 11/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Canazes9
1) Don't make a bunch of anything until you've tested the loads and know you're gonna be happy with the finished product.

2) It's foolish not to start load development for any load at max COAL (max mag length, a light kiss, whatever your limiting factor is). If you start at max COAL then shorten your loads you will never get into pressure trouble. Barnes bullets are no different, two of my rifles shoot best accuracy w/ Barnes bullets at max COAL.

3) Loading over max book loads is no big deal as long as you have a reliable chronograph and are targeting a barrel length compensated book velocity. Targeting velocities over book is asking for trouble. If you don't have a reliable chronograph book max is your powder charge limit.

4) Get some RL17. It works really well in the 30-06. It generally will get you ~100fps over H4350 at same pressures. In cartridges where the load results in a full case of powder ( it will in this case), it won't have any appreciable temp. sensitivity.

David

This is a good post & you should pretty much use this as a model for load development.

I've found that Barnes TTSX & TSX are pretty forgiving bullets for the most part & I've got guns that shoot them lcose to the lands & others that a a pretty good jump............mainly due to mag constraints but in all those case, accuracy is within expectations. I prefer less jump all thing being equal & if I can get there with the mag in a given gun.

My only other comment is on the powder choice...........RL-17 has not been as consistently accurate across multiple rifles & loads as H4350 has been for me, hence, I really prefer H4350. If an '06 doesn't like that powder, it's a pretty rare bird.

And the 168 TSX has been a very accurate bullet for me.

MM

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,335 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.