Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fredIII
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That 4th pic would describe our country fairly well..... there's no way to get into shape for that [bleep] other than workin the riggin or cuttin.... even greenhorn would quarter one out... haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by iddave
Jesus H you guys are an industrious bunch.

There simply aren’t any roads where I’m at to get a vehicle hooked up to.....but I do use a dirt bike in a few areas I hunt that have single-track, motorized trail access. Generally avoid ATV routes due to the immense traffic they generally have, but the single-track stuff I occasionally hunt weeds out all but the very best bike riders.

Maybe I can figure out a way to anchor something to the old DRZ....

Dave

Dave it's totally different hunting/country for sure. Our ground is a Hodge podge of shiit, cut up by roads, because there's a lot of timber harvested here

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I need a drink your pictures gave me flashbacks to hunting in the trask unit for elk in November back 96... I have buds who grew up in that country and they all ran winches with plenty of cable to yard them up out them hell holes

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In the olden days when I was younger, chain saw winches were fairly common here in north Idaho. Skidded out several back in the 70's. Don't hear about them much anymore. They worked good, when they worked. Not so good when you were a mile or so from the truck and the saw wouldn't start.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do the head/legs get caught up in brush as you're winching it out or is the winch and rope strong enough to power through everything? Does someone have to walk with it the whole way to shift it out of the way of logs, stumps or whatever else?

I can see this saving a guy's back, but it almost seems like more work getting the rope strung out and constantly shifting the elk around when winching than it would be to just quarter it up.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

2400 ft on this one and a Partner with the same and another with 1200.
Made dead elk walk over a mile in the nastiest shît a guy can crawl through. Mule tape sucks azz. 9/16 crab line will last for years my spool has pulled out over a hundred deer and elk.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you using to pull the rope back once you get it to the animal?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JayJunem
[Linked Image]

Made dead elk walk over a mile in the nastiest shît a guy can crawl through. Mule tape sucks azz. 9/16 crab line will last for years my spool has pulled out over a hundred deer and elk.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you using to pull the rope back once you get it to the animal?

Boat cleat in the trucks receiver couple half hitches on it pull as far as the road allows then back up and role the loose rope back on the spool and tie to the cleat again and go. On the elk end we have an eye in the line I cut a hole between the rear leg bone and large tendon then I shove the eye through the hole in both legs once the eye is through take the line push it through the eye on the bone side of the leg then loop the rope up over the feet and pull it tight. Then half hitch from the hole you pushed The eye into to the hooves.
Do not pull from the head. It pulls the vertebrates apart and let’s the spinal fluid leak into the meat and will cause bone sour even in a cooler.
We always pull from the rear feet.

Tman if you like the horns cut off the head and carry it out the rest is fine and very seldom does the animal hang up but if the do I carry a strap and block and Pull them around said fûckhole. We use two way radios to communicate and the guy in the hole tries to keep eyes on the show looking for snags/hangups. But they are not terrible to deal with at all usually it’s just feet going under a large root or something to stout for the role to upheave.

Last edited by fredIII; 01/05/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iddave
Jesus H you guys are an industrious bunch.

There simply aren’t any roads where I’m at to get a vehicle hooked up to.....but I do use a dirt bike in a few areas I hunt that have single-track, motorized trail access. Generally avoid ATV routes due to the immense traffic they generally have, but the single-track stuff I occasionally hunt weeds out all but the very best bike riders.

Maybe I can figure out a way to anchor something to the old DRZ....

Dave

Dave,
I was assuming there would be a lot of guys running a drum reel with rope or cable to make long pulls on large animals out of steep, ugly country. Apparently it’s more of a NW thing, maybe due to our logging history...

As for running a Capstan Winch. Personally, I think it’s the next best thing to a truck mounted reel. It may or may not help your hunt- only you’ll know if there is a situation that winching would be better than packing. Here’s the link to the outfit I used to purchase my Capstan. If you wait, just before hunting season they usually run a “Hunting Special” where you get the Honda winch and 800’ft of low stretch nylon rope with shipping for $1000. 😎

https://www.loggingsupply.com/products/simpson-capstan-winch-with-engine

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've only shot 1 elk in my life that could be loaded whole, and that was after a long slide down a steep hill in the snow and a 1/4 mile drive through sagebrush with the pickup while dodging rocks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JayJunem
[Linked Image]

Boat cleat in the trucks receiver couple half hitches on it pull as far as the road allows then back up and role the loose rope back on the spool and tie to the cleat again and go. On the elk end we have an eye in the line I cut a hole between the rear leg bone and large tendon then I shove the eye through the hole in both legs once the eye is through take the line push it through the eye on the bone side of the leg then loop the rope up over the feet and pull it tight. Then half hitch from the hole you pushed The eye into to the hooves.
Do not pull from the head. It pulls the vertebrates apart and let’s the spinal fluid leak into the meat and will cause bone sour even in a cooler.
We always pull from the rear feet.

Tman if you like the horns cut off the head and carry it out the rest is fine and very seldom does the animal hang up but if the do I carry a strap and block and Pull them around said fûckhole. We use two way radios to communicate and the guy in the hole tries to keep eyes on the show looking for snags/hangups. But they are not terrible to deal with at all usually it’s just feet going under a large root or something to stout for the role to upheave.

Gotcha.

Thanks!

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]

You guys are killing me with this winch [bleep]. Anyone have three miles of rope?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyoelk
You guys are killing me with this winch [bleep]. Anyone have three miles of rope?

Isn’t that the truth...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Brad

Isn’t that the truth...

Objection, non sequitur. There are many different types of elk hunting, self righteous indignation provides little to the original question.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Isn’t that the truth...

Originally Posted by KRAKMT

Isn’t that the truth...

Objection, non sequitur. There are many different types of elk hunting, self righteous indignation provides little to the original question.

K, it’s all good...We all have boards in our trucks that we strap our main packs to when hiking miles into areas where deploying ropes off reels or winches can’t be run...Brad, wyo; you both know better then your comments portray... Akin, to me saying Brad, your 308 Win is a weak chambering that should be left at home...Pretty fugg’n stupid comment. You get the point. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh take a deep breath... all in good fun.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m breathing just fine...Like I would be packing out an 80lb hind quarter. Slow and steady 😎
I forgot the Grin 😁

Last edited by Beaver10; 01/06/19.

“Molon Labe”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

We have 1 1/2 and can get another mile maybe two with a phone call.

When brad is in your corner [bleep] in said corner and run.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh take a deep breath... all in good fun.

Brads lips quiver when he sees such disregard for etiquette “both sets!!”

Captain elk killer boys.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bro, hate to break the news, but that’s a Llama in a hat...🤣😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
With 1 exception, my last 4 or 5 elk have come out by llamaback.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.