Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For my money, JB is firmly in the ranks of the old salts who shaped my formative gunning years, Elmer and Jack. That coming from a guy who is over-educated for his own good and a dedicated reader/bibliophile. It would be a hard choice which of those three guys I would most want to spend an evening at a bar with. (Probably pick John because he's still alive. Talking with dead guys is a one-way conversation.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am not a compulsive reader, but when I am going someplace and will probably have some time where
I will have nothing to do, I have some authors I like to have along.
Pat McManus, Gene Hill, Jack O'Conner mostly along with some VietNam books.

I would certainly like to have a book (or two) that go back an in time with J.B. covering a mix of topics and his experiences
and knowledge gained there.
Sort of a "Things I have learned and the good times I had doing it".
Not looking for new stuff, just a re tell of already printed stuff on the gamut of topics covered.

And congrats John on a partial retirement.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Joining the bouquets for John and Eileen - I read gunzines indexes first, looking for their articles. And I subscribe to Rifle Loony News.

Both write with incredible clarity and careful thought progression towards the writer's conclusion (s). Their articles and columns are models of what gun and cooking articles should be. As technical as required; all that is needed for complete understanding.

Wanna know more? Buy John's and Eileen's books!

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks again to all.

Dillonbuck, when I first met John Wootters many years ago at the SHOT Show, he made a comment that stuck with me just as much as Finn's, "How do you know that to be true?"

Of course, John and I immediately started discussing writing for gun and hunting magazine. Pretty soon he said, "I've done real journalism, and they're not real journalism. They're entertainment!"

I've always kept that in mind when writing even the most technical articles. You can't make turn them in comedy, but if you can make readers grin now and then, they might actually read the whole thing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 1,476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,739
Posts18,476,029
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.