Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

You are taking Ingwe much too literally.
crazy

Well...if its legal, and considered ethical for deer and antelope, how would it be for elk? Or maybe some of those exotics down in Texas?

whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
While I have a .223 Rem I would never use it. Use Enough Gun. Let me ask you do you use a tack hammer to drive spikes ? Not saying you can't do it, but there are better choices.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
While I have a .223 Rem I would never use it. Use Enough Gun. Let me ask you do you use a tack hammer to drive spikes ? Not saying you can't do it, but there are better choices.

Sheer profundity.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

You are taking Ingwe much too literally.
crazy

Well...if its legal, and considered ethical for deer and antelope, how would it be for elk? Or maybe some of those exotics down in Texas?

whistle

There is a lot more that separates deer from elk. besides size....... Size is the lesser of them. To me cost is the biggest issue.

It costs me locally less than a "C" note to hunt deer and I get to kill two of them. Their numbers are high and a nuisance on the roads. This is not at all the case with elk where I hunt them. The absolute minimum cost to me to hunt elk is $2,000 and that's for a cow tag. Further the distance of shots taken while elk hunting is more than 250 yards. IMO that's beyond the range of the .223..

If one chooses to hunt elk with a .223 have at it.......it's your money...you bought the tag, paid the trespass fee, drove the 1,000 miles each way and it seems to me that it's YOUR call as to what cartridge to use.....bear in mind that bow hunting is also a favorite sport on that ranch....but we don't challenge the "ethics" of that use do we?

As to me the gun I used in 2017 for deer was a .264 Win Mag and the gun I used for elk hunting was a .300 H&H.....I consider that "using enough gun"!

I've given the issue of "ethics" a goodly amount of thought over the years and it always boils down to this....."ethics" is a criteria we impose upon ourselves.....If it's so important t will become law and be imposed on all of us.

Lets not impose our ethics on each other.....one might just decide that bow hunting is unethical.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

Sheer profundity.

Leopard Man hath spoken, and the truth be his..... Brother Maynard, bring forth the Holy hand grenade of Antioch....

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by czech1022
Have you used the .223 for deer/antelope?

Yes, just a few days ago. First deer I've ever taken with a .223.

I was calling for coyotes when I saw a doe. Though not specifically deer hunting, I had a doe tag in my pocket. She was 70 yards, slightly quartering away. The shot went in the rear ribs, exited and hit her elbow, almost severing the leg. It was like one of those magical JFK bullets. smile

She made a jump and then a 20 yard stutter-step run before dropping dead.

That was with a Hornday 55 grain soft point.

Would I use a .223 were I hunting a B&C buck? Probably not. But for a target of opportunity, it'll do the job.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SBTCO
the Holy hand grenade of Antioch....

That sounds more better, and cooler than even The Hammer of Thor!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
LOL. My hunting buddy's grandson has been killing deer with grandpa's AR for 3 or 4 years now; well actually he claims it as his AR now. The biggest buck was 180 or so on the hoof. I think the young fella is 11 now, don't try to tell him a .223 isn't enough.

Oh, this last season he said he wanted grandpa's 06 now. I cracked up.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by vapodog

Lets not impose our ethics on each other.....one might just decide that bow hunting is unethical.....

I'm still trying to figure out where I tried to impose any ethics on anybody...

But I can sure do that if you'd like...but I'm not a democrat.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know a couple of young Alaskans who've taken plenty of big game, including moose and grizzly, with their .223's. They're kind of puzzled when people say it isn't enough.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
USE ENOUPH GUN.

Thank you for the go ahead to use my 223 😂😂😂

I haven't figured out a way to kill deer more dead but apparently it can be done

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It has worked fine for me, even on good sized bucks.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Whenever these.223 for deer threads pop up, I always wonder what criteria is used to determine what is (or is not) an adequate cartridge for killing deer. I wish some of the naysayers would fill in those of us who have no problem killing deer and stuff with.223’s why they feel said cartridge (or similar) is not adequate.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had never used a 223 to take big game before and was not a fan of trying it. I am not a big fan of Barnes bullets, had horrific results with the original X bullets!!!!!!
Last fall I had a Mule Deer hunt where the DNR begged me to use mono bullets to save the F'n Condors. didn't want to use one of my custom barreled rifles with the vile Barnes so I used my 223 with the 62gr TTSX................One shot and was obvious it was dead before it hit the ground, worked much better than I expected.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
62 gr soft point in my CZ 527 has been a real gem on hogs, deer and others. I've been sold for the last 10 years on the killing power of the 223 in a good bolt gun..............

Razorhog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1.It's very unethical and unsporting. A man should at least be able to handle a 22-250 so he can make clean kills.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I used an AR to take one whitetail doe. She didn't go 10 yards.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It works, I've done it a lot, but then came a day that I got into a situation where I wished I was packing something bigger.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
there are a lot of deer shot with a 223 ,mostly by sharp shooters at night in cities that feel they need to control deer population without the use of public hunters. its kinda a dirty little secret being done they usally start on sunday night about 10;30 pm - 5;30am thru Thursday and always at night when most of the public are sleeping.,sharp shooters shoot all deer in the head when possible,all meat is givin too food shelf ,horns go to the states DNR.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by pete53
there are a lot of deer shot with a 223 ,mostly by sharp shooters at night in cities that feel they need to control deer population without the use of public hunters. its kinda a dirty little secret being done they usally start on sunday night about 10;30 pm - 5;30am thru Thursday and always at night when most of the public are sleeping.,sharp shooters shoot all deer in the head when possible,all meat is givin too food shelf ,horns go to the states DNR.

Pete- you have struck Internet gold with this comment. I look forward to some inner city nightime deer hunting with some of those nameless sharpshooters. Of course since its a dirty little secret I bet its hard to get invited:)

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 64 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.