Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
A Japanese 'nabe' is basically the generic name of a very simple traditional Japanese boiled dinner. The nabe itself is the Japanese word for the pot, usually made of earthen ware or cast iron. With this particular one I chose to use seafood. Ingredients were salmon, scallops, blacktip shark, swordfish, shrimp, squid, mahogany clams, two kinds of tofu, Japanese cabbage (napa), lotus root, baby bok choi, shiitake and enoki mushrooms, scallions and daikon radish. Mrs. KG made her ever-awesome Japanese style rolled omelet as an appetizer.

All ingredients are raw/live and are cooked in a traditional broth made with a base of bonito flakes and kombu (a type of seaweed). It is most often cooked over flame at the table and ingredients are continuously fed into the pot and removed when just done, and served and eaten piping hot, as is or after being dipped in a sauce with grated daikon, Japanese ground red pepper spice (shichimi) and scallions. The leftover broth at the end is one of the best parts and is often used as a base for a rice stew, or noodle base after all the main ingredients are finished. We do seafood most often at our pace, but is done with chicken or pork as well and both are also fantastic. Outstanding meal and dead simple to do. Quality, fresh ingredients and a sharp knife are really the only things you need.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yum!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my favorites though I have only had the real stuff in Thailand and Taiwan. They use a lot of noodles there.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kg,

You can get all that seafood fresh where you live, including the blacktip? And the bonito flakes?

It sure looks like something I'd enjoy. Never had it but I've tried most everything in other forms.

All that for just the two of you?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
looks terrific smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Looks very good....but why cook it?

Sorry if thats a dumb question!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

i think over a two day period we ate whatever bait we didn't use with out cooking it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

i think over a two day period we ate whatever bait we didn't use with out cooking it.

was that before or after a jar of your shine Roger?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
some of the best times in my life have been up there, my brother will be down here in a couple weeks, so looking forward to it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
kg,

You can get all that seafood fresh where you live, including the blacktip? And the bonito flakes?

It sure looks like something I'd enjoy. Never had it but I've tried most everything in other forms.

All that for just the two of you?

Geno

Geno,

I always try to source seafood that is fresh and taken locally, but depending on seasons and things like catch quotas and what's available when I grab the ingredients, it's not always possible to get things I want to use that are fresh/never frozen. I'm all but certain that the salmon and shark were previously frozen, and the shrimp definitely were. Maybe the squid too, but not sure on that; we have squid here but I've only fished them in spring and fall.

The scallops, swordfish and clams are locally caught. I wanted monkfish, another locally caught fish, but they had none. For this kind of dish, firm-fleshed fish is best, as others tend to start breaking up in the rolling boil if you're not careful. Cod and haddock are great, but being semi-firm I guess I'd call it, has its drawbacks and can be done but the 'nabe boss'--that'd be me in our household--would wield a slotted spoon or wire ladle when fishing chunks out of the pot. As to the bonito flakes, none are fresh. They're salted and dried and/or smoked. You can get it here, though we bring ours back from Japan and shave it ourselves.

There were five of us working on that pile of food, and had some leftovers. If everything is gone at the end of a meal I cook, I didn't prepare enough. wink

Jim, not all seafood can safely be eaten raw, and this type of meal is one I like to serve in the winter months. The clams, scallops, salmon and squid can be prepared and eaten raw, but that's not what this dish is all about. Plus, it's kind of fun to hear the clams scream as they boil to death...

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Leighton,

Once again, you have made me very hungry! Thanks for sharing with us, even if it's just the pictures. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Took awhile, but after some work finally got that old Texan boy to grow a pair and try some raw seafood. Hasn't looked back yet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That shrimp was not caught that way.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn. Them some good eats. Leighton, you inspire me to progress my culinary awareness and exploration. Thank you.

You and the Texan get after any ducks out there?

cf

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Leighton,

I knew about the bonito being dried, wasn't sure if you could find it in your area or brought it back with you. Makes sense, if you're coming home to bring some with.

I live so far from the ocean I very rarely see fresh seafood. Freshwater stuff doesn't count.

I love the sound of screaming clams in the afternoon, it sounds like.............victory..............................or dinner!

Thanks once again for sharing your goodies with us in a photographic way,

Geno

In it is contentment

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
That shrimp was not caught that way.

You sure about that? I've seen tons of them in the wild looking just like that, coming in with the moon flood tides in massive herds or flocks or whatever, all pink and white and curled up with no shell, legs, or head for that matter, spinning around and occasionally flipping out of the surf as they head for their breeding grounds. I'm privileged to have witnessed this magical phenomenon more than once. I need to have a talk with that fish monger just to confirm. I'll get back to you with the facts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
L, you're getting some mileage on a few of those pics my friend . Good to see them again !!!!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks Leighton,

I knew about the bonito being dried, wasn't sure if you could find it in your area or brought it back with you. Makes sense, if you're coming home to bring some with.

I live so far from the ocean I very rarely see fresh seafood. Freshwater stuff doesn't count.

I love the sound of screaming clams in the afternoon, it sounds like.............victory..............................or dinner!

Thanks once again for sharing your goodies with us in a photographic way,

Geno

You bet, my man. Check out how the bonito is processed. Pretty simple, right? wink

CFT, Rog' couldn't drag up for ducks this year, but he's been here for upland in MA, VT and NH and we've bashed puddlers, divers and sea ducks locally over a few trips. He's hosted me for ducks and Sandhills in his backyard. Made few friends in the bird world, but we tend to have fun all over when we're running around together. wink

Good to 'hear' from you, and hopeful is well with you and yours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.