Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...there were some gun writers who said the .243 was too small as well when it came out. But they were even older than Ingwe.

Who knew that Adam was a gun writer?!? Did Eve complain about all the time he was spending in gun shops and out hunting? Did she complain about how he was busting the budget every month with all of his Internet reloading component purchases?

You, sir are a true fountain of firearms history and knowledge! laugh

Ed

Waiting on MD to reply with "Hell, I was there!".......

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I look forward to some inner city nightime deer hunting with some of those nameless sharpshooters. Of course since its a dirty little secret I bet its hard to get invited:)

[Linked Image]

no ideal ? WTF ? about sharpshooters ? .that`s almost funny how little you boys know what does goes on ,have never even heard of these sharpshooters that these cities hire with DNR permits to lower the deer population ? golf course`s do it too with a DNR permit ? so don`t get smart with me when you have no ideal what goes on ! again Clint Eastwood said it best : some of you people need to be hit with a shovel side the head !

Pete, do you have any ideal weather or not they have bunx barrels on their rifles?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a local friend that told me he routinely uses his .204 Ruger on deer....says it works as well as his .243.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had very poor results my first try with the .223.

I hope to try again. If I do, I'm going to be a whole lot more cautious / conservative about what I ask of it. Nosler solid base to the spine (head on under the chin) did not get the job done, the bone stopped it. I mistakenly assumed it would break the neck. Position was exactly what I planned but the outcome was not. We'll see. If the new .223 is accurate with partitions I'll do it just to find out what happens.

Broadside, .204 could be ok .. I have a small cache of the 45 grain Hornady .204 bullets which I would try. If I couldn't get a clean shot to the skull or behind the shoulder raking forward (which disqualifies about 90% of the shots on tags I've punched), I wouldn't shoot, at least not 'til I had a bigger data set to draw conclusions frm.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
I have a local friend that told me he routinely uses his .204 Ruger on deer....says it works as well as his .243.....

It don't.

That said he might be using the .204 inside it's effective range and has never been exposed to loads that really stretch the reach of the .243 Win.

Keep the range inside 300yds and the .223 will work fine.

Start stretching the .223 out as far as a good rifleman can hit bucks and you're going to see a rodeo or 2.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/07/19.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had very poor results my first try with the .223.

I hope to try again. If I do, I'm going to be a whole lot more cautious / conservative about what I ask of it. Nosler solid base to the spine (head on under the chin) did not get the job done, the bone stopped it. I mistakenly assumed it would break the neck. Position was exactly what I planned but the outcome was not. We'll see. If the new .223 is accurate with partitions I'll do it just to find out what happens.

Broadside, .204 could be ok .. I have a small cache of the 45 grain Hornady .204 bullets which I would try. If I couldn't get a clean shot to the skull or behind the shoulder raking forward (which disqualifies about 90% of the shots on tags I've punched), I wouldn't shoot, at least not 'til I had a bigger data set to draw conclusions frm.

Tom

What bullet you were you using? So much depends on the bullets being used, not the caliber. I learned that lesson with a 7mm-08 on elk. I thought it was a poor killer until I switched bullets, then the story changed.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Start stretching the .223 out as far as a good rifleman can hit bucks and you're going to see a rodeo or 2.

I believe that's true.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Tyrone
"sharpshooters"

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Apparently Fairfax County should have consulted with the ‘fire. wink

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/wildlife/deer-management-program-population-control

So a "sharpshooter" is different than a sniper... ie, he's somebody trained in a military manner to a certain level of proficiency?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My guess is it’s Semantics and how the public receives the message. Saying they have snipers running around at night in public parks doesn’t sound the same as sharpshooters killing deer. I guess...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SSS

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by Tyrone
"sharpshooters"

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Apparently Fairfax County should have consulted with the ‘fire. wink

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/wildlife/deer-management-program-population-control

So a "sharpshooter" is different than a sniper... ie, he's somebody trained in a military manner to a certain level of proficiency?

I had a neighbor that fell for this BS hook, line & sinker (a Democrat of course). He believed that deer hunting should only be done by these highly trained "sharpshooters" and that they were utterly surgical in their precision, as compared to Joe Neandertal who obviously couldn't hit a barn from inside.

The reality is that these "sharpshooters" were just cops getting overtime to ride around the parks spotlighting deer and shooting them at 30 feet with department M16s and AR15s.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed a bunch of axis with it, both bucks and does. Hogs, mouflon sheep, all have been whacked with either my Bushmaster in .223 or my CZ 527. I ran out of Winchester Ranger 64. gr. PowerPoint ammo for my AR so I switched to 75 gr. Speer Gold Dot ammo. I haven't killed anything with it yet, but I am anxious to see how it performs. My little CZ 527 loves the Nosler 50 gr. Ballistic Tip handloads, but I found it also like the Hornady Steel Match 55 gr. HP. I'm looking to head shoot some hogs with that one. It shoots .25 MOA or less when I do my part.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have killed lots of small game and some deer/antelope with the 223, but it seems odd how much a cartridge that was designed specifically to wound, has become such a killer...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cant speak for the 75 gr. Gold Dots but the 55 grainers sure work well!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have killed lots of small game and some deer/antelope with the 223, but it seems odd how much a cartridge that was designed specifically to wound, has become such a killer...

It's not hard to see the choice of projectile makes a wee bit of difference.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My young son has and it worked terrible. Maybe it was the bullets, but it took 4 shots potential killing shots before the deer finally just bled out and fell down. Very little damage inside. The bullets was a 64g Winchester Power Point. I have bought some TTSX's to try from the good result mentioned on the fire. My son used a .257 Roberts this year and killed the deer with one shot. The only reason I am considering the .223 again is because my daughter can hunt this coming year.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Rhettsker
What bullet you were you using?

See my original post: Nosler solid base. 55 grain, which I didn't say before. I don't think there was a better bullet available at the time.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Originally Posted by Rhettsker
What bullet you were you using?

See my original post: Nosler solid base. 55 grain, which I didn't say before. I don't think there was a better bullet available at the time.

Tom

The 55 solid base worked great for me. I've got a 172 lb. dressed 8 point hanging on the wall that fell to one of those through the lungs. Range 125 yards, quartering away, bang, flop. Bullet hit at last rib on left side and was recovered, well mushroomed under the hide near the right shoulder.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
My young son has and it worked terrible. Maybe it was the bullets, but it took 4 shots potential killing shots before the deer finally just bled out and fell down. Very little damage inside. The bullets was a 64g Winchester Power Point. I have bought some TTSX's to try from the good result mentioned on the fire. My son used a .257 Roberts this year and killed the deer with one shot. The only reason I am considering the .223 again is because my daughter can hunt this coming year.
Try the 55 Hornady sp. I've killed a bunch of deer with those with zero issues. They always fugg up a deers innards worse than 170 gr. sp's out of my trusty old .30-30.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Using a 222, but the same bullet. I shot a 175" mule deer buck when I was a kid in the early 9 0 s. I shot the buck in the chest looking at me at about 150yds using a 50 or 55 grain speer tnt. He fell so hard that he had his legs sticking strait up in the air, looked like a spiders legs moving. He never took a step. Probably c!ose to 250lbs in weight, 7 or 8 years old. My boys and I have killed close to 3 dozen deer with that rifle. We use mostly 55 grain Sierra game kings now. Hunt with confidence.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.