-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got nothing of value to add, but since folks seem to be playing nice(er) now I'll throw a few elk pictures up. All came out on my back, but a couple may have been possible to winch out with the right setup. To be honest, it would have been nice to get them out whole, for a variety of reasons. I almost always hunt by myself though, so I am not sure winching would be an option solo, as all the pictures I have seen thus far seem to be a group effort.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one I did get out whole. After a 10 or so mile hike without seeing anything, I dropped down and hit a road mid day to hike back to the pickup. This rag was standing off the side of the road, oblivious to the fact that it was rifle season. Never look a gift horse in the mouth. It took some grunt work, but I and a random road hunter that stopped and helped me got him into the pickup bed.
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few more. Luv me some late season cow hunts...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love that Roosevelt Ted...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Judedude! I probably have posted him a bit too much on this site, but he's just too awesome not to.

I can see how the clearcut road system you all use lends itself to the winch setup. Although some of my elk are only a mile or so from a road, they're often a full canyon away. Have you all ever winched in that situation or does it only work for winching elk straight up from an abyss that a road happens to be directly above?
I am not being critical...I am genuinely curious.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
T Inman, I figured out why you like to hunt solo......you have no choice.......saw that you use a Leupold. Don't you know they suck?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yes...as I venture into turret twisting I have bought some SWFAs and some other brands, but when it is time to get serious, in serious conditions, I always bring a FXIII 6X42.

I have never seen a reason not to.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don’t know if it counts because I still had to cut him up to get it in the truck. I tried like hell to load him whole but gave up and ended up quartering him .

Textbook road hunt tho! It was -15 that morning and I was camping, told myself the first bull I seen was getting it that morning, on my way to the canyon I was going to hunt this guy decided to spoil me. Ran across the road then stopped right before hitting the timber.. I was thinking no way he’s going to stand there while I got off and Uncase the rifle, but he did ! Easiest elk to date. With a little planning I could have got him home whole but I never even plan on such a scenario and wasn’t prepared .. some day

[Linked Image][/URL]

Last edited by rosco1; 01/12/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Obviously, there are some elk that like to walk roads. Bet they get flamed by the other elk who say that a real elk would only walk on steep cliffs. 🤣😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Obviously, there are some elk that like to walk roads. Bet they get flamed by the other elk who say that a real elk would only walk on steep cliffs. 🤣😎

First suicidal general season bull I’ve come across. I just considered myself lucky that time ! 😉 that was around 20 years ago .. figure I’m due again anytime now ha.

Last edited by rosco1; 01/12/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You do the shooting or just the mule? 😎

Mostly the shooting but always involved in being the mule.
I do like what you are trying to rig up.

True sad story.
Neighbor (cop whom I never liked much) had heard that I hunted and wanted to show me this cell phone photo. Nice bull.
Then he volunteers without me even asking, "We had to leave the bull and could only recover the antlers. Weather came in and the road into the canyon just got too slippery and too dangerous to drive."
I didn't say it but I'm thinking to myself 'left it!? when you had a road!?'. I liked him even less after that.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What a fug’n douche drinker...I know and have hunted with a lot of cops. Some good hunters. Others, not so much! 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just my “unwanted” comment to those that seem “indignant”, as to the use of vehicles/winches for game recovery. Did you walk to your elk hunting area, and how many hundred miles did you walk? Do you use a scoped rifle....speaking of rifles, isn’t that a modern convenience ? And, the horses that some use to haul their game, or set-up a hunting camp.....absolutely “lessening” the hunting/recovery experience!

It’s pretty obvious, that few of us have tracked and killed a big game animal.....with our bare hands! Until having done so, ridiculing others, for their methods of recovery.....is the highest form of hypocrisy! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/12/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
After the last time bringing an elk out in pieces the next will be standing in my truck when I kill him. In the meantime I will stick to mulies and grouse.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Asking about the best way to set up my truck with a in/out steel drum holding 3/4” non-stretch rope for ripping elk out.

Curious on drum size to rope amount. I would want a minimum 3k feet...More? Drum would ride in the 6’-5” bed of a Tundra.

Brackets would need to be fabricated probably. I would want to be able to remove drum and hardware at the end of the season.

Ideas on best way to set a stop or brake on the drum wheel for pulling. Then winding up slack line, crank handle I imagine.

Off season project..,. 😎

Seriously?

In the time it takes to get a truck close enough,, run a line/cable/tape, thread a whole elk through thick and/or downed timber back to the truck, a guy can quarter, bone, and with a pard carry the edible parts out to a vehicle and still probably beat the above method.

Yes, I've helped drag an elk to the road with ATV's, but in every case the critter could have been quartered and loaded onto an ATV and just drive it out (less drama).

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
With 1 exception, my last 4 or 5 elk have come out by llamaback.

4 llamas in the back of truck would take up less room than a 3000 ft reel of elk "tape", too......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wyoelk

[Linked Image]

See, this way is SO simple.

You guys are killing me with this winch [bleep]. Anyone have three miles of rope?

What is it about yuppies and dead critters? You'd think they just killed a brontosaurus.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
With 1 exception, my last 4 or 5 elk have come out by llamaback.

4 llamas in the back of truck would take up less room than a 3000 ft reel of elk "tape", too......

Not to mention pack in a comfortable camp.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

[Linked Image]

See, this way is SO simple.

You guys are killing me with this winch [bleep]. Anyone have three miles of rope?

What is it about yuppies and dead critters? You'd think they just killed a brontosaurus.......

Yuppies? Laffin...Alpine, this thread is heavy with dead critter pics...Hang some of yours for us to enjoy. Thanks. 😎

“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yuppies? Laffin...Alpine, this thread is heavy with dead critter pics...Hang some of yours for us to enjoy. Thanks. 😎

Odds are I have killed more elk than you and have been in on the retrieval of a lot more.

I'm all for making it as easy as possible, as I have retrieved elk every which way possible short of calling in a Chinook or loading them into a howitzer and shooting them up onto the road.

That would include winching or dragging with an ATV. Been there. A guy could conceivably spend more time and effort pulling an elk through thick/blowdown timber--and a dead elk will hang up on every log, every tight spot it possibly can. You'll spend more time and effort lifting, shoving, and trying to guide an elk through the timber than carrying it out. Been there.

I just don't see how the effort and cost of a 1/2 mile winch and the effort to keep the carcass moving through thick timber (I mean thick) is a better idea.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Odds are good you’re killed more elk then me, if you’re old as dirt, or have spent a lot of money paying for elk hunts that got you more than one elk a year from your home state. Just throwing around numbers since you’re wearing your Superman tights...I’ve killed or been involved in packing out or winching just south of 70 elk that were either OTC General 4 day bull season, or drawn cow tags. 1 elk per year.

It’s all about the terrain. You have as much first hand knowledge about coastal hunting in the Pacific NW as I do with high altitude hunting in Colorado. Which is zero! Before you yap on about “who’s killed or yarded more elk out”. Just pay attention to those of us who have done things you’ve never seen with your own eyes...We all have packed meat and horn stud. It’s not rocket science! Taking off my Superman outfit now. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (01Foreman400, 7887mm08, 300s, 2UP, 257 mag, 11 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.