Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
So, if the deer was not recovered, how do you know what the bullet did or didn't do?

Amen .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gladesman
Originally Posted by smokepole
So, if the deer was not recovered, how do you know what the bullet did or didn't do?

Two people saw the hit low on the shoulder. One can see a hit at close range. Should have broken bones. Found hair at the spot, no blood. We spent half a day looking for other sign and never found it. Only explanation we can think of. Either that or it penciled through both shoulders and the deer ran off and never bled. Never saw one run off far after a good shoulder hit like that. Hard to run with broken shoulders. Maybe there is another explanation, but I do not know what it is. With a hit like that any bullet that stayed together should have put the deer down within a reasonable distance.

By the way, we have seen this before when a bullet has blown up on the surface and the deer was killed by another shooter. Found nothing but hair then, too. That time it was a Leverevolution out of a 45-70, right after that bullet came out.

So, you think it's more likely that two completely different bullets both "blew up" and left no blood, just hair? More likely than at least one of those shots being placed poorly?

Color me skeptical. The simplest explanation is usually the best and two different bullets blowing up and not drawing blood is not the simplest explanation.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Think what you like. Does not bother me.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, and I extend the same courtesy to you. "Bullet failure" is a handy thing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Close shots are usually woods hunting situations where some amount of brush is encountered and as far as I'm concerned, a guy has an air tight excuse for missing where they were aiming if they get bullet brush deflection. What I thought was a broadside lung shot with my 7 mag dropped the buck in his tracks from a broken neck with the bullet going in SIDEWAYS.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my experience "shoulder" shots can yield surprising results. I agree that a SST is statistically unlikely to blow up and leave only a surface crater on the shoulder a deer. But hit just perfectly in the juncture of the Humerus/Scapula joint, and bullet failure and lack of penetration is a real possibility. I've seen that joint stop a few bullets after only 2" of travel with no more penetration and a couple other times thats that bullets showed extreme deflection. It takes a very tough bullet to hit the ball of the humerus and continue through the cup of the scapula joint and keep penetrating in a straight line. I don't personally like how the SST fragments and ruins good meat, but I think they will reliably smash a deers' scapula and continue on to destroy lungs or spine from broadside. I'm not sure I would blame the bullet for "blowing up" on a quartering towards shot that perfectly centred the scapula / humerus joint.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Tried a 165 gr SST 30-06 Superperformance on a doe the other day. Went straight down at 50 yards. Lots of tissue damage but no pass through.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.