Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
When my wife Katie was 15 years old, her father Randy purchased a 1969 Chevelle SS as a project for them to work on together as her first car. Over the course of a few years they changed engines, made some upgrades, kept up on general maintenance; turning it into an every day driver for her.

1994:

[Linked Image]

In 1998 while going to college in Montana, she made the difficult decision to sell her beloved Chevelle and get something a bit more practical for a college age student. Since 2006 when she and I got married, I’ve heard her mention multiple times that she would either like to have another classic car, or that she regretted ever selling hers.

Fast forward to 2016, an idea popped into my mind. Wouldn’t it be cool to find her car. I spent some time off and on doing internet research try to see if there was any way possible to track that car down. I came up with nothing.

Then one fateful fall, while Randy and his wife Peggy were travelling through a small town called Malta, Montana; Peggy mentioned to Randy that she thought that the person that had purchased Katie's Chevelle lived in that town. On a whim, Randy stopped at a body shop and started a conversation with the kid at the counter about “the car”. Low and behold, a car matching that description was sitting in the driveway at his fathers house; just a few short miles down the road.

When Randy and Peggy arrived at he house, it was immediately clear the car that Randy was looking at; windows down, quarter panels removed, bumpers missing, rear glass gone, raccoon infested and all was Katie's old car. There it sat after 19 years.

November 2017:

[Linked Image]

A deal was struck, and “Project CRN 631” was re-bourn.

Over the course of a year, the car made its way from Malta, Montana to Waverly, Iowa where body work and paint was done. Randy made multiple trips down to work with Katie’s Uncle and two cousins to start putting pieces back on. Crate 396, T400 tranny, upgraded breaks, suspension, etc.

Early November the car made its way back to Soldotna, Alaska after being gone for nearly 22 years. Inside an enclosed trailer, Randy and Katie’s Uncle Bob, towed her back to the hangar for the final touches before being revealed for Katies 40th birthday gift.

November 2018:

[Linked Image]

Just about two months later, after hundreds of hours doing interior work, bumper and grill work, her father and I had the car ready.

Last night, January 12th 2019 my wife got to sit behind the wheel of CRN 631 once again. It was a pretty special night and one incredible build. At some point, I’ll spend the hours putting together the whole story, but for now…I’m just glad it is [bleep] done.

January 12, 2019:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Brother_Bill; 01/13/19.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice car, and pretty wife!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
that is so cool

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How do you beat that!

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great job Bill!

Did she have any idea what you were up to?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is pretty sweet, Bill!
Nicely done birthday present!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. Really love that shade of blue - Looks like a similar shade to a 69 Nova our family had.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story.

Happy wife,happy life!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One very lucky lady to have that many people working together .

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
THAT just ROCKS in so many ways! Awesome deal Bill and Randy and all! Well done!

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great story, amazing finding the same car after all those years.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Helluva tale and a good one at that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
now just keep it off the ice!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, very cool.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Very cool story!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fantastic story !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
My BIL has the first car he ever had--a 1965 Mustang. He keeps working on it to restore it. I don't think he's ever gonna finish.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way cool. cool Thanks for posting Bill.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brother_Bill
When my wife Katie was 15 years old, her father Randy purchased a 1969 Chevelle SS as a project for them to work on together as her first car. Over the course of a few years they changed engines, made some upgrades, kept up on general maintenance; turning it into an every day driver for her.

1994:

[Linked Image]

In 1998 while going to college in Montana, she made the difficult decision to sell her beloved Chevelle and get something a bit more practical for a college age student. Since 2006 when she and I got married, I’ve heard her mention multiple times that she would either like to have another classic car, or that she regretted ever selling hers.

Fast forward to 2016, an idea popped into my mind. Wouldn’t it be cool to find her car. I spent some time off and on doing internet research try to see if there was any way possible to track that car down. I came up with nothing.

Then one fateful fall, while Randy and his wife Peggy were travelling through a small town called Malta, Montana; Peggy mentioned to Randy that she thought that the person that had purchased Katie's Chevelle lived in that town. On a whim, Randy stopped at a body shop and started a conversation with the kid at the counter about “the car”. Low and behold, a car matching that description was sitting in the driveway at his fathers house; just a few short miles down the road.

When Randy and Peggy arrived at he house, it was immediately clear the car that Randy was looking at; windows down, quarter panels removed, bumpers missing, rear glass gone, raccoon infested and all was Katie's old car. There it sat after 19 years.

November 2017:

[Linked Image]

A deal was struck, and “Project CRN 631” was re-bourn.

Over the course of a year, the car made its way from Malta, Montana to Waverly, Iowa where body work and paint was done. Randy made multiple trips down to work with Katie’s Uncle and two cousins to start putting pieces back on. Crate 396, T400 tranny, upgraded breaks, suspension, etc.

Early November the car made its way back to Soldotna, Alaska after being gone for nearly 22 years. Inside an enclosed trailer, Randy and Katie’s Uncle Bob, towed her back to the hangar for the final touches before being revealed for Katies 40th birthday gift.

November 2018:

[Linked Image]

Just about two months later, after hundreds of hours doing interior work, bumper and grill work, her father and I had the car ready.

Last night, January 12th 2019 my wife got to sit behind the wheel of CRN 631 once again. It was a pretty special night and one incredible build. At some point, I’ll spend the hours putting together the whole story, but for now…I’m just glad it is [bleep] done.

January 12, 2019:

[Linked Image]

Sell it and pay your child support!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,615
Posts18,511,776
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.