-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
400 is stretching it for me. 300 i can confidently hit without issue. I have shot snd hit targets out to 700 yards

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by memtb
While trying to impose one’s personal “range limitations” on another, is not wise, and my be insulting to some......there are things to be considered when shooting game at extreme ranges. Bullet time of flight, should be considered. From the moment, the brain tells the finger to engage, added to projectile flight time, for long range shots.....can easily exceed 1 second. With a stationary, inanimate target....no harm, no foul. However, with an animal.... a sudden noise, or just a decision to move, just at the wrong moment.....can change a perfect shot to a crippled animal As mentioned by szihn, our big game animals deserve more respect! memtb

The same argument could be made about shots at moving critters... regardless of “range”. Hunters need to know their personal limitations... be it range, recovery conditions, shooting position, wind, etc..... and the only way to KNOW that... is a lot of actual field shooting, and a bad experience or two.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dogshooter, Exactly! The only possible exception would be that, some hunters (unethical hunter), when attempting to make the “long” shot, do not attempt to verify a hit or miss, if the animal shows no reaction to the shot.....which sometimes happens. Some merely call it a miss, without verification! To verify a long range shot, may use-up several hours of hunting time, whereas a closer range running shot can be more easily verified! It “boils down” to Hunter ethics or lack thereof! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK....please inform me! Thanks! memtb

OK. I'd say that calling someone's credibility into question without being able to point to anything the've said that's not credible is what I'd call a "questionable post."

Does that work for you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dogshooter, Exactly! The only possible exception would be that, some hunters (unethical hunter), when attempting to make the “long” shot, do not attempt to verify a hit or miss, if the animal shows no reaction to the shot.....which sometimes happens. Some merely call it a miss, without verification! To verify a long range shot, may use-up several hours of hunting time, whereas a closer range running shot can be more easily verified! It “boils down” to Hunter ethics or lack thereof! memtb

Everything you said in criticism of LR hunting shots also applies to shorter shots, as well as a whole host of things that could possibly go wrong with any shot while hunting. I’ve seen guys take 150 yard shots and argue with me about checking for signs of a hit becuase they were so sure they missed, or even because they obviously gut-shot an animal and it ran into a hell hole that they didn’t want to go into to track the poor critter. Ethical issues of cleanly killing and recovering an animal isn’t unique to LR shots.

Dogshooter is exactly right. Range is only one factor (and with the right gear and training, an easy one at that) that contributes to the difficulty assessment of a shot, and the ultimate decision to shoot or not based on 95% confidence in success.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can only say, that some of your previous posts were very questionable. Perhaps they were intended as humor......which I apparently missed!

They were. Smoke has a dry sense of humour at times, and some posters have erroneously taken him quite seriously.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I made an attempt to apologize on a public forum.....but that, “doesn’t appear to work for you”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by szihn

I just can't see ANY reason to shoot at ANY game over 500 meters away, and I cringe when I hear folks tell me 'they had to". I have hunted for over 1/2 a century, in many states and several countries. I have never had any "need" to shoot farther then about 450 yards EVER.

Are you bragging or complaining? Maybe you need to get out more?

TFF....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I can only say, that some of your previous posts were very questionable. Perhaps they were intended as humor......which I apparently missed!

They were. Smoke has a dry sense of humour at times, and some posters have erroneously taken him quite seriously.

Smokes a hoot...He’s the pardner you have riding in the shotgun seat at a stop light who leans out the window and calls a dude weighing 270lbs with prison tats and a ponytail a f a g...Laffin 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This deserves another mention as memtb said as a part of his post. Is your animal hit?

I just experienced this on a cow hunt using a new rifle and chambering in 7/08 that I was not familiar with. I had only audible recognition that I punched my elk at 427 yards when I heard the smack of my first shot...The Immediate recoil took me off scope.

After the herd of elk cleared the area, I was left looking at the cow I had shot at, but, there wasn’t any visual signs I could see while scoping her that she was hit. I switched to my nocs to check the clear cut for an elk laid out flat. Satisfied that there wasn’t a dead elk laying, I scoped the lone cow again, watching her for anything that would say it had been hit...Finally, I saw it try to make a step, but she faulted. On my 2nd shot the cow collapsed, drt.

This was at 427 yards, and I couldn’t tell 100% for sure if I had connected other than trusting my hearing and experience...I have bumped a lot of animals farther with a bigger chambering and have had the animal do everything from fold up immediately to dropping their head and sway on their feet until they tilted and dropped, or drop at impact only to stand up again and start moving towards cover.

I have made more than a few trips down a mountain, across a stream, and up and over a saddle or two to reach an area where the fur was standing when me or a pard took the shot.

Many were located several yards from impact. Others were tracked and found where a finish shot was needed. Unfortunately, some left blood sign, but were never recovered that day, night or even the next day... I’m kind of a hard-ass that if we have blood but no body; Whoever took the shot is tagged out.

Personally, if you shoot long or short, and don’t have a body to see or a pard spotting to tell you it was a clear miss. You check. 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Apparently, it is my loss! memtb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nah...You’re good brother 😁

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have shot a few deer and one elk at longer ranges, over the last couple years I shot two 120ish lb black Russian shoats from the back porch here at the farm, one at 522 yards the other 569 yards, technically I guess shooting from ones wife's pick nick table isn't hunting, but, it was cold and ill take the free groceries, rifle used on the pigs was a heavy 300 win mag firing 208gr a-maxes at 3K with Retumbo.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Have shot a few deer and one elk at longer ranges, over the last couple years I shot two 120ish lb black Russian shoats from the back porch here at the farm, one at 522 yards the other 569 yards, technically I guess shooting from ones wife's pick nick table isn't hunting, but, it was cold and ill take the free groceries, rifle used on the pigs was a heavy 300 win mag firing 208gr a-maxes at 3K with Retumbo.

Now that sounds like a proper pig load...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Six hundy.

If the wind is right, anyway. I’ve killed out to 541, I’ve passed on closer.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I made an attempt to apologize on a public forum.....but that, “doesn’t appear to work for you”! memtb

If you want to make a sincere apology I'll accept it but I don't think what you said was a sincere apology:

As it appears that I am limited to 250 previous posts......I cannot support my claims. And, for that, I’m truly disappointed! In the previous 250 posts, you appear to be free of infractions! I can only say, that some of your previous posts were very questionable. Perhaps they were intended as humor......which I apparently missed! As I cannot support my allegations.....I wish to offer an apology, for the unfounded claim! I do apologize! memtb

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone's "far" is different.

Never been tough to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by salmonhead
Personal limit on game

As close as I can get it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
1. Equipment...
2. Experience...
3. Conditions...
4. Respect and judgement...
5. Responsibility for outcome...
6. Reassess all above...
7. Move forward or backward as warranted...
8. Teach others if so inclined...
9. Live life, have fun, and don't squander your mortality!!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting read. Many times I`m struck by how casually we now take distance shooting, I suppose it`s mostly because we don`t have to quess at ranges anymore.LRF`s provide the answer. Wind is another matter, even with Krestrels, smart phone apps, etc. So for S&G I doug out one of my HP Score books from 1999, and the matches I shot at Eau Clare, Wi. Cross course, 200,300,600yrds. The 600 is slow fire, 20 shots prone with sling, iron sights. My match gun was a 40-x in 308...shot 168 Sierra`s, 42gn. 2520. We have two sighters before shooting for record, and 22 mins. time to do it. No rush. So, knowing the range, therefore come-ups, wind is the big factor. But we do have wind flage on both sides of the 20 point line. You can see the wind...watch it the whole match. The 10 ring is a little over 2 MOA wide, about 14 inches, kill zone of a deer?..X ring 1 MOA. Now I`m not the best shot..took me 6 years to make HM, but my first sighter shot, about 80% of the time droped in the 9 ring...wind. I miss read the wind. That`s enough miss to wound an animal. I did get better with time...but this lesson always sticks with me when I`m hunting. It`s not easy to make a first round kill shot at 6 or 5 or 4.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.