Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sticking my thumb in Moms ringer washing machine on the side porch of the little cabin we lived in at HWY 10 and Higgenbotham Rd. circa 1966, I was three.

I did that when I was around four, I had my entire arm in the damn thing before they got it shut off. It was bouncing off my face. Haven’t though if that in years.
I still cringe when I see one

[Linked Image]

I remember them telling me not to fuuck with it or it was going to get me. I learn most things the hard way.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some real early memories but don't know which one would be earliest. I have a dim memory of one great grandmother. Only great grandparent still alive when I was born in 1950. She passed just before I turned 5 at age 84 or 85. Back then I could recall being at my grandparents house and I thought they looked really old; they were both early 50's at the time. But there was one lady there that almost made them both look young. When I was about 5 and a half or 6 I saw some family photos and saw that real old looking lady and remembered seeing her. It was my great grandmother. I had forgotten all about that until I saw the pictures and if that hadn't refreshed my memory at that young age I'm sure that as I grew up I would have had no memory of seeing her. If it hadn't been for photography I'm sure that I would have lost that one small memory.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I also remember the New York World's Fair, being pushed around in a stroller and seeing little dinosaur figures on the ground. I was three, so that wasn't nearly my earliest memory, but still quite young.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 1.5-2 y/o....

I kept looking for a missing toy. Later in life I realized that this wasn't about that toy, it was about my mom who left me, my baby twin sister and our toddler sisters when she walked out on my dad and the rest of us for another man.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by broomd
About 1.5-2 y/o....

I kept looking for a missing toy. Later in life I realized that this wasn't about that toy, it was about my mom who left me, my baby twin sister and our toddler sisters when she walked out on my dad and the rest of us for another man.

Wow! That sucks.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Just in general,...we weren't dirt poor or anything like that. But there wasn't much money for extras, especially early on.

I have lots of memories of living in a little house next door to my grandparents that didn't have running water while my dad was building our house on another piece of property about a half mile away.

I turned 4 in that house. It sat on 3 acres and I had the run of it. It was bordered by a deep, dry western Kentucky creek on 2 sides.

My father and grandfather would be off at work and my mother and grandmother were usually involved doing the chores of the day and I just wandered around the place exploring.

Even though I was little more than a toddler, it ranks as one of the happiest years of my life.

Run around the place all day free as a bird,....spoiled rotten by both my mother and grandmother,...vanilla ice cream anytime I wanted it, and when night came we'd sit in the dark watching a B&W TV while eating popcorn until bedtime.

In my four year old mind,...when I bothered to think about it at all, I thought life would be like that forever.

It was all I knew and it was all I needed to know.

Even the good times I experienced later in life can't compare to that year running free, loosely supervised, on my grandparents property when I was 4 years old.

Mellorine. It, or something, made freezers smell good.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Birth.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Riding my tricycle barefoot on my grandparents porch and stubbed my toe and it started bleeding so I started crying. Uncle who was a teenager came outside and starting laughing at me for crying. Almost 40 years later and I still don't like him

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My Great Grandfather,....
"Noey" (Noah) Bristoe,...the musician,....Fiddlin' champion of Ballard County Kentucky until he decided not to be,...

,...how he'd eat apples by holding it in his hand and slicing off pieces with his pocket knife.

One day he hoisted me up in his lap while he was eating an apple,...told me to cut me off a slice while handing me his knife.

My mom told him that wasn't a good idea,...but he did it anyway.

So I sliced off a piece of his apple and laid the palm of his hand wide open in the process.

I thought I would be in trouble,....."I didn't mean to",....."I didn't mean to",.....but he just laughed as my mom said, "I told you so!,...I told you so!

Then he went out on the back porch and stuck his bleeding hand down in the WW2 era Jerry can full of coal oil that we kept out there to start fires in the wood stove.

Noey Bristoe with my great grandmother, "Rene" and their daughter, my grandmother, "Mae",....long before even my mother was born.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I remember my grandmother laughing at me for still drinking from a bottle at two years old. I was forced to start drinking from cups on my third birthday. The bottles were all tossed.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember when that doctor slapped me on the butt. I got back at him 20 years later, when I slapped one of his nurses on the butt.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Signing up for 24hourcampfire.......life didn’t exist before that moment in time! grin Actually, when I was 4 or 5, I “snuck” into my parents closet, a got my finger stuck in the carrier assembly ( where you insert the shells). Couldn’t pull finger back out ( think of a Chinese finger trap). Had to go to my Dad, with my finger stuck in his Model 12. I’ve had a fear of shotguns, ever since! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm. They usually ask me what’s the last thing you remember.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by BGunn
3 years old. I climbed up the front of a large book case that went up to the ceiling.,
The entire thing fell on top of me. I was lucky that day...

Same year, I drank an entire 4oz bottle of hoppe's gun cleaner, and had to get my stomach pumped... That sucked.
That stuff sure smells good. How'd it taste ?

I guess it was pretty good, I finished off the whole bottle myself !!
But I bet it was better going in, than out, at the hospital.

I’m thinkin’ they may have changed the recipe by now. That was back in 1950.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of childhood memories I cant peg down to a specific age even with help from parents. Probably most are under 5 years.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Hmm. They usually ask me what’s the last thing you remember.

Now a days, that’s a harder question to answer.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I remember my grandmother laughing at me for still drinking from a bottle at two years old. I was forced to start drinking from cups on my third birthday. The bottles were all tossed.

My dad's mother had 2 plastic cups with straws built into them. When there was only 2 grandkids there, it was easy, when there was more, someone was going to be an angry grandkid. Grandma is 94, still living on her own and I believe she still has those 2 plastic cups. Speaking of cups, we've used the same Tupperware olive green, harvest orange, and pale yellow cups at grandmas for as long as I can remember. She's got little ones for kids and big ones for adults.

Like someone else mentioned, I have flashes not movie reels. Grandpa was the Standard Oil Jobber and I remember riding in the gas truck, sledding behind the small tractor he had, riding the John Deere pedal tractor. Dad and Grandpa took me Antelope hunting with them in SD in Grandpa's '76 full-time 4WD Chevy. I remember pulling the range lever into N because I was "helping" drive riding in the middle between them. Dad deep frying popcorn shrimp and onion rings in a house we moved out of when I was 3. Pushing the emergency stop on the escalator at the downtown JC Penny or Sears ~3-4yrs old and mom being embarrassed and pissed-off at the same time.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I remember being in a warm cozy place and all of a sudden it was like being in an earthquake.Someone grabbed my head and then smacked me on the ass,I was pissed.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A PM from Fireball's wife.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In my teens, I remember telling my Mom how I remember being in the hospital and how she had left and I was standing in the crib looking out the door of the room I was in. Then I saw her red jacket flash past the door as she tried to sneak out of there without me seeing her. I screamed bloody murder and she came back in the room and picked me up and held me.

Mom said "how on earth do you remember that?? You were one and in there with pneumonia!"

I remember it vividly.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 3,048 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,658
Posts18,533,972
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.