Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Been shooting hardcast in my G40 (KKM barrel). Any specific cleaning methods to removing lead deposits?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I run a magazine full of jacketed bullets through my gun last. The jacketed bullets are loaded with CFE Pistol. Cleaning is easy after that.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kroil

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kroil works great on suppressors, too. But, don't leave them soak in it too long. It'll turn them a purple hue. Ask me why I know..

Kroil, a toothbrush, and a copper brush work well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Chore Boy copper pads OR coarse bronze wool. Wrap around an old bore brush. Very effective and fast.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yea - dont. Barrels "season" after a few round of properly fitting hardcast. Now if you are getting flame cutting in the first inch then you can remove it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Chore Boy copper pads OR coarse bronze wool. Wrap around an old bore brush. Very effective and fast.

This is what I used to do as well. (With powder coating now, there is no leading to clean out.) No need for any solvents or oils, just a few passes with a brush as SherrifJoe described gets it done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot some plated or FMJ if possible prior to scrubbing out lead.

I used Kroil for years, because that's what everybody said to use. Then I watched some YouTuber's video where he tests lead the removal capabilities of several gun cleaning products. I'm sure his testing methods weren't flawless, but...good ol' Hoppe's 9 scored near the top of his test! Since I use Hoppe's 9 for my normal, everyday gun cleaning, I recently decided to give it a whirl again in my 1911 .45 ACP.

I typically start by using a soaked patch and a jag. I fold over a corner of the patch to increase friction which scrubs out more lead. After a few patches, I inspect for remaining lead. I typically only get serious lead build-up in the first inch of the barrel. I've had good luck using a .45 cal brush with bronze bristles to remove that.

In my experience, Kroil has no discernible advantage over Hoppe's--both work well. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I typically fire fewer than 100 rounds of cast lead prior to cleaning it all out. Sometimes I might shoot as many as 200 rounds before cleaning but that's about it Also, FWIW, I have never heard anything negative about the "Chore Boy method." I've just not tried it myself--we don't have Chore Boy pads in our stores around here.

Good luck! If you discover an effective method, be sure to share it!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Soak in Hoppes and scrub with brush. Swab clean.

If lead is building up excessively cleaning solutions shouldn't be what you look at. Something's askew.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Copy that.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Circular "tornado" brush followed by a fine bristle brush; there shouldn't be any hunks in there in the first place.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Some of you guys would be amazed at the results of a chore boy wrapped brush compared to what you're suggesting here.

Also, firing jacketed bullets in a lead fouled barrel has more tendency to iron the lead into the steel. IME that'll make it more prone to leading in the future, and more difficult to remove the last bit of lead. Note that the scraping action of a gas check on cast bullets is a bit different, as those have a fairly sharp leading edge for scraping rather than the rounded ogive of most jacketed bullets.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Yondering
Some of you guys would be amazed at the results of a chore boy wrapped brush compared to what you're suggesting here.

Also, firing jacketed bullets in a lead fouled barrel has more tendency to iron the lead into the steel. IME that'll make it more prone to leading in the future, and more difficult to remove the last bit of lead. Note that the scraping action of a gas check on cast bullets is a bit different, as those have a fairly sharp leading edge for scraping rather than the rounded ogive of most jacketed bullets.

Get real.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Just powder coat the barrel....

Seriously, if you continuously have accumulative leading, that you can see and reduces accuracy on target you don't know what the [bleep] you're doing and should probably paint your bullets or shoot jacketed ones.

You're still going to have fouling (usually harder and more complicated to remove), but at least it won't be lead of any kind....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don’t think that a lot of people know what leading is. A hard cast that is not undersized and properly lubed doesn’t “lead”, unless the bore is extremely rough. Trace of lead is not a problem and should not be considered as “leading”. Traces of copper jacket material in isn’t considered a problem and neither is traces of hard castlead” and become a problem.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

“iron the lead into the steel”. I’d like to hear more about this amazing phenomenon, exactly how does the lead get “ironed” into the steel?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And I thought I had heard it all............

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475

I don’t think that a lot of people know what leading is. A hard cast that is not undersized and properly lubed doesn’t “lead”, unless the bore is extremely rough. Trace of lead is not a problem and should not be considered as “leading”. Traces of copper jacket material in isn’t considered a problem and neither is traces of hard castlead” and become a problem.

Somebody buy this [bleep] a drink and a lap dance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was your idea.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
It was your idea.

What was my idea?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.