Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Soak in Hoppes and scrub with brush. Swab clean.

If lead is building up excessively cleaning solutions shouldn't be what you look at. Something's askew.

This

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I don’t think that a lot of people know what leading is. A hard cast that is not undersized and properly lubed doesn’t “lead”, unless the bore is extremely rough. Trace of lead is not a problem and should not be considered as “leading”. Traces of copper jacket material in isn’t considered a problem and neither is traces of hard castlead” and become a problem.

And this

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Chore Boy copper pads OR coarse bronze wool. Wrap around an old bore brush. Very effective and fast.

Used this method for years===> Works fast

Don't waste your time with solvents.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Get real.

Says the guy who thinks you need or want solvent to get lead out of a barrel.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Yondering

Get real.

Enjoy your schitty cast bullets and scuzz pads.

Some of us know what we're doing.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sig Sauer armorer course instructors told us emphatically not to shoot jacketed bullets as a way to clean leading out of a barrel because the bullet tends to ride over the lead and actually expand the inside diameter of the bore by a few ten-thousandths of an inch. According to them, since rifling is only a few thousandths deep, it doesn't take much before accuracy is noticeably affected. This was in the days when Sig only had the 220, 226, etc. series, so I don't know if this still holds true with later models, or barrels with polygonal rifling.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Stray
Sig Sauer armorer course instructors told us emphatically not to shoot jacketed bullets as a way to clean leading out of a barrel because the bullet tends to ride over the lead and actually expand the inside diameter of the bore by a few ten-thousandths of an inch. According to them, since rifling is only a few thousandths deep, it doesn't take much before accuracy is noticeably affected. This was in the days when Sig only had the 220, 226, etc. series, so I don't know if this still holds true with later models, or barrels with polygonal rifling.

I’m sorry but I don’t buy what the armorer ims selling.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a Kroil user too

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stray

Sorry can't buy that either its more than a stretch..I've used this method for years to clear fouling and lead build up. Certainly not a total fix but it works well for handgun and many rifle applications. Hot gases from jacketed bullets make lead flow not compact..Total hog wash IMO.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Lewis lead remover from any gun store...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get real.

Not if your using a solvent to remove lead instead of wrapping a copper scrubber like chore boy/curly kate/etc. around a worn bore brush.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/18/19.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Get real.

Not if your using a solvent to remove lead instead of wrapping a copper scrubber like chore boy/curly kate/etc. around a worn bore brush.

Jerry

I wouldn’t do that on a dare.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jerry

Get real man.

It's 2019 for fugk sake.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What Flem is saying is partially correct.

The lead becomes molten and wipes as a jacketed bullet travels through it from friction and stress applied, but leading is not ever caused by powder gases. Its thermal breakdown of something with a low melting point, compared to barrel steel and copper alloy jackets.
Anyone ever recovered a jacketed bullet used this way?

The lead basically smears on the bullet jacket.

Solvents don't do much, but they help remove powder fouling and don't hurt.

The Sig armorer is basically describing a barrel obstruction; regular frost leading doesn't apply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those of you that swear by solvents alone your kidding yourselves, test them on a peace of lead..I have because I shoot primarily cast in all my revolvers and vintage rifles, you will change your mind because you'll only get some discoloration...As Hawk said it doesn't hurt that's fact and removes the majority of fouling and carbon..I was an Air Force armorer worked on everything from 20 mike to .223 and we never once used a solvent for barrel issues.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW
proper bore prep and cleaning helps a great deal if you want to get the best cast bullet performance and accuracy
if you clean the bore very carefully
cleaning the bore Of each firearm with a lot of solvent soaked patches,
(old cotton sheets cut into 1"x 3" rectangles work ok on most rifles )
and a brass bore brush until you have no trace of jacket or lead fouling,
then , after the bores squeaky clean, soaking a couple patches , until they drip, with moly spray and working it back and forth in the bore surface, and repeatedly soaking those patches with moly, to coat the rifling with a good film of moly, then swabbing the bore clean with a solvent patch and dry patch, seems to very noticeably reduce future bore fouling
Moly exists as microscopic hexagonal crystal platelets Several molecules make up one of these platelets. A single molecule of Moly contains two sulfur atoms and one molybdenum atom. Moly platelets are attracted to metal surfaces. This attraction and the force of moving surfaces in contact, rubbing across one another provide the necessary thermochemical reaction necessary for Moly to form an overlapping protective coating like armor on the rifle bore surface, This protective armor coating has a number of properties that are very beneficial for your rifles bore surface
[Linked Image]
The Moly platelets that make up the protective layers on your bore wall surfaces slide across one another very easily. Instead of metal rubbing against metal, you have Moly platelets moving across one another protecting and lubricating the bore to projectile surface contact

This coating effectively fills in the microscopic pores that cover the surface of all micro bore imperfections making them smoother. By filling in the craters and pores Moly improves this seal
[Linked Image]
This overlapping coating of Moly also gives protection against loading (perpendicular) forces. The high pressures that occur between these moving surfaces that tend to squeeze normal lubricants out.

[Linked Image]

repeating the process at each after range bore cleaning,will over a short time provide a smoother bore that tends to collect less lead fouling
noticeably LESS if done consistently, and NO it won,t build up enough to change bore diam. or increase pressure, and no you can,t see it in the bore.

Last edited by 340mag; 01/19/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Unless your barrel is junk or there is a real concern for rust, correctly done cast doesn't require cleaning, special prep or anything else. Lead, a good quality bullet lube and powder fouling actually maintain a "dirty mirror" appearance virtually forever.

I generally wipe the outside good with Kroil and never clean handgun barrels, but I realize some people have to keep everything spotless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is anyone old enough to remember leaded gasoline? You know why that lead was in there...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Or sulfur in diesel fuel.....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
For those of you that swear by solvents alone your kidding yourselves, test them on a peace of lead..I have because I shoot primarily cast in all my revolvers and vintage rifles, you will change your mind because you'll only get some discoloration...As Hawk said it doesn't hurt that's fact and removes the majority of fouling and carbon..I was an Air Force armorer worked on everything from 20 mike to .223 and we never once used a solvent for barrel issues.

How many cast bullets did the military shoot through those barrels?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.