Savage 1899 Saddle Ring Removal

Malcolm asked me to describe how to remove the saddle ring / saddle ring staple from a Savage 1899 Saddle Ring Carbine. It seems guys took these off a lot back in the day, probably because they were noisy. Most were probably cut off and tossed. Someone put a non-original ring back on mine (see the cut), and must have opened it up and then tried to close it with pliers, so it is out-of round. The original rings were solid, with no seam, so if you can find a suitable replacement you will want to pull the staple as well.

I have a few pics that I took when I had it apart that should help explain the process. Its easy with the right tools - the staple just press fits into the receiver.

1. Remove butt plate
2. Remove long butt screw
3. Gently remove butt stock (this is also a great time fix that Savage tang crack..)
4. As viewed from the top (see first pic), the right leg of the saddle ring staple is near the back edge of the left receiver side. Take a suitable sized punch (I used the heavier one seen in the second photo, the thin one is for the trigger pin), and insert the punch on the right leg of the staple from the right side of the receiver. The punch will be slightly canted, as you will hold it tight to the back edge of the right receiver side. Tap her out easy. Mine popped right out with moderate effort, a rusty one might take a little penetrating oil.
5. Whenever I find a ring to reinstall, I will simply put it on the staple and tap it back in with my brass hammer so I don't mar the staple. Note that the staple only fits one way - the right leg is longer than the left leg.
6. If it fits loosely, I will take a narrow tipped punch, and coming around from the back side I will roll a little bit of the receiver metal into the leg of the staple to peen it in place.

I am still looking for a good ring....