Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Has anyone ever dissected a 270 Winchester factory Federal Fusion to see what kind of powder used, and amount? My 270 Weatherby loves the stuff and I cannot get my hand loads to shoot nearly as well. I would just shoot the factory ammo but I have so much 270 brass and bullets and I would love to get my hand loads to shoot that good. I have tried numerous powders with no success.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm no gunwriter, but here is what I would do:
Figure out what bullet they use. That shouldn't be difficult even if you cannot determine the powder type/charge.
Figure out what primer they use. Pretty sure it is a Federal of some sort.
Learn to assemble STRAIGHT ammunition that is not terribly undersized for your chamber. (Maybe you already know how to do that.)
Chrono some factory ammo.
Load the same bullet, to the same OAL, with the same primer, in straight ammunition, to the same velocity as factory ammo, with a powder that gives you almost 100% loading density (not compressed.)
Basically, you are trying to copy what works.
If that doesn't work, call Mule Deer.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Load the same bullet...

Unfortunately, I don't think the Fusion bullets are available as components. At least, they weren't when that line first came out.

Scott

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well, then maybe a bullet of the same weight and general configuration?
Or that last thing, call Mule Deer.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've purchased hundreds of 270 Fusion bullets from RMR.....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've found 140 factory Federal Fusion rounds shoot better than I can reload ( or just as good ) in in my 280 which is close to your 270. I'd rather roll my own though but amazed how good they like my rifles. I'll watch this interesting thread. I doubt if Federal will give away their powder secret though.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
Has anyone ever dissected a 270 Winchester factory Federal Fusion to see what kind of powder used, and amount? My 270 Weatherby loves the stuff and I cannot get my hand loads to shoot nearly as well. I would just shoot the factory ammo but I have so much 270 brass and bullets and I would love to get my hand loads to shoot that good. I have tried numerous powders with no success.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

I figure you mean a Weatherby made rifle chambered for the 270 Winchester cartridge.

Since the factory ammo shoots quite well we can safely assume the rifle, scope and shooter are OK. That leaves the handloads. Do you know if your cartridges are assembled straight?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I took apart some older Federal 270 ammo and it appeared to be H4831. Now there are so many powders available off the shelf and even more proprietary non canister powders you could be chasing your tail trying to get an exact duplicate. Same length and same velocity has worked for me even if it was not the same powder. You might be surprised at the factory velocity I clocked some older loads that were as slow as 2800 fps.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
RMR has both the 130g and 150g fusions instock. They are pulled bullets, I have used pulled fusion .30 cal bullets for 30-30 and 300 sav and .307 win them no complaints so far. Their per 100 price seems a little high but for 250 it ends up being reasonable.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bul...ain-fusion-soft-points-pulled-500-count/

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree with the others. Buy 150 Fusion pulls and load them in Federal Brass with Federal 210s at the same OAL as the factory load that shoots so well. You can even buy pull down Federal 270 brass that's already primed with 210s. You most likely will not duplicate the powder Federal uses as they buy proprietary powders in bulk, but you can duplicate their speed easily. Chrono some of the factory ammo and match it with H4831, IMR7828, IMR7977, R26, R23, or many others and I'm betting you'll be dang close if not better than the factory ammo.

Good Luck

loder

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It must be a good bullet as I have a friend here who uses the factory load ( 150) in his .270 for mule deer/elk every year! He is a hunter, a box may last him a year! However, he gets into them and piles them up, ha. I always like to tease him because I show up with a different rifle every time, bigger caliber, but when I her him shoot, I know the work has started. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Heavybarrel, it has already been mentioned by others so I'm repeating good advice here: Make sure your loaded ammo is straight.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I broke down a Federal Factory 130 gr. soft point a few weeks ago. The bullet was a plain soft point, and it weighed 130.2 grs. The powder charge weighed 53.3 grs and case weighed 204.2 grs with the primer. I won't even try to guess which powder they used. The Remington ammo a I also broke down had a powder charge weight of 54 grs. It appeared to be finer grain of powder. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,431
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.