Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya never seen anything like it. damn near the size of a house cat.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you get a stainless Marlin 783/883/983 you'd have a hard time losing the tubular magazine and you can leave it in the truck 24/7/365 with little fear of rust.

Our state doesnt allow loaded guns in vehicles so Ive been thinking about a SS magazine version. One of them cost less than a factory magazine for my 43.

In that case, you'd want a stainless 782/882/982. Marlin makes 2 different magazines for their .17HMR and .22WMR rifles in either blue or silver, a 4-shot and a 7-shot version. I prefer the 4-shot style because it doesn't extend very far below the bottom of the stock and doesn't get in the way when you're carrying it afield.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
tzone,

I am a firm believer in owning plenty of rifles in as many chamberings as possible, so I vote yes on a .22 Magnum.

Have owned a bunch over the years, but one of the flaws of the .22 Magnum is that most vary widely in their ability to shoot different kinds of ammo accurately. There's a reason for this, too long to go into here, but if you find a .22 Magnum that shoots various kinds of ammo well, you have a very useful rimfire. Of course, you can determine which ammo a specific .22 Magnum really likes, but during the recent Obama shortages it was all but impossible to find some kinds of .22 Magnum ammo.

A .22 Magnum that shoots different kinds of ammo accurately doesn't have to be expensive. Blackheart already mentioned his Marlin bolt-action, and I have seen more than one Marlin that shot several kinds of ammo nicely. My present .22 Magnum is a Ruger American, and it also shoots just about anything. (Have also owned two Winchester 9422M's, and while both shot VERY well with the ammo they preferred, would also scatter shots into 3" or so with ammo they didn't like.) The Ruger cost me less than $200 at a local gun store.

The .17 HMR is also a favorite of mine, and they generally shoot just about any ammo accurately, and with the right bullet will perform many of the same tasks as a .22 Magnum. Many hunters make the mistake of using mplastic-tipped small-varmint ammo on larger and/or edible game, but .17 ammo includes a deep-penetrating 20-grain game bullet, as well as a FMJ.

That said, the bigger bullets of the .22 Magnum do tend to work better on larger animals,. and the right load can also do very well on smaller varmints. Generally I use a .22 Long Rifle or .17 HMR on the ground squirrels Montanans call "gophers," but last year a friend wangled us permission to shoot a local ranch for the first time. The owners, however, had a couple of rules: We could only use rimfires, but could not use .17 rimfires, because they firmly believe .17's ricochet more than .22 rimfires. The truth is exactly the opposite, but it's their ranch.

My friend brought a .22 Long Rifle, and I brought one too--but also brought the Ruger .22 Magnum, and a bunch of Hornady ammo loaded with the 30-grain V-Max. My friend was VERY impressed with the Magnum's performance, especially after I let him shoot it some--and the next week bought another RAR at a local gun store, which shot the same Hornady ammo just as well. With various other loads my Ruger also works great on those larger/edible animals.

Another virtue of .22 Magnums is they can shoot .22 Winchester Rimfire ammo. The .22 WRF was an 1890 attempt to increase rimfire power over the .22 Long Rifle. The gain wasn't much, the usual load a 45-grain hollow-point at around 1450 fps, but the slightly larger-diameter case was the basic for the .22 Magnum. Every once in a while CCI makes a run of .22 WRF ammo, and I picked up a brick 2-3 years ago. It shoots very well in my Ruger, and to the same point of impact as .22 Magnum at 50 yards, making the rifle even more useful.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got a Ruger American WMR (SS), too and it likes just about everything, 30gr. VMaxes, 40gr. CCI HPs, and the 50gr. Federals, too. The only sticking point is POI, which varies quite a bit between the three. No matter. I zero with the 40s and call it good. It's a fair to good shooter in warm weather. In colder weather, it's just common, nothing remarkable.

It's main thing is the handling, mine is short, light, and handy, like having a third arm. That alone makes it a pretty good little rifle, and a keeper.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, I have the compact RAR. Love the 18" barrel, very handy. I haven't tried 50's, glad to see the work, will order some.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, I have the compact RAR. Love the 18" barrel, very handy. I haven't tried 50's, glad to see the work, will order some.

I have the same one, shootin lil sumbitch.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It sounds like I'll have to give the American a look.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I guess I have to go find me a .22mag Lever gun!

I just got a Ruger 96/22 magnum, that I am pretty impressed with. Very good shooter. Around an inch at 100.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
tzone,

I am a firm believer in owning plenty of rifles in as many chamberings as possible, so I vote yes on a .22 Magnum.

Have owned a bunch over the years, but one of the flaws of the .22 Magnum is that most vary widely in their ability to shoot different kinds of ammo accurately.
Exactly right.. I tried about 5 different types/makers of .22WMR ammo and found just one that the rifle liked... Very common for the .22WMR..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I guess I have to go find me a .22mag Lever gun!

I just got a Ruger 96/22 magnum, that I am pretty impressed with. Very good shooter. Around an inch at 100.

Not an easy find!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tzone
Is it worth seeking out a .22 mag if I have a LR and a ,223 Rem?

No.

Spend the 22 mag money on a suppressor for your 223. You'll turn your 223 into a rifle quieter than a 22 mag, with much better terminal performance by comparison. Also, loading down a 223 to 22 mag levels works great, if you feel the need for that level of performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
There are a lot of cheap rimfires that shoot very well, but then you will have a cheap rimfire. I draw the line at CZ, below that I'm not too interested. Above that I dream about but never have actually pulled the trigger. Speaking of triggers, I will not own a rifle with any little lawyer blades sticking out of them.

As to the new CZ 457's, I have one ordered that should be here any day. In .17HMR - if it impress I may end up with another in 22LR. I would have to start shooting bigger vermin at shorter ranges to add a .22MAG. And/or start eating them - the 17HMR is pretty destructive.

My Marlin 917M2S is nearly as accurate as my Anschutz 1502, both are great tree squirrel rifles.

My Marlin XT-22VR is nearly as accurate as my Remington 37s and 40X, all four are great rifles for punching paper.

It doesn't seem logical to me for a person to ignore the opportunity to own an accurate rifle just because it is inexpensive. There are probably more inexpensive accurate rifles on the market now than at any time previously which seems like a good thing to me.

It's all personal preference (and a little 'snobery'). I'm at a point in my life where I'll pay a little more for refinements that are rare on inexpensive guns. Most of these refinements don't make them any more accurate but they do make me happy.

As to the 457, hopefully it will show up today. Would like to get it out this weekend and check it out.

Last edited by centershot; 01/18/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a lot of cheap rimfires that shoot very well, but then you will have a cheap rimfire. I draw the line at CZ, below that I'm not too interested. Above that I dream about but never have actually pulled the trigger. Speaking of triggers, I will not own a rifle with any little lawyer blades sticking out of them.

As to the new CZ 457's, I have one ordered that should be here any day. In .17HMR - if it impress I may end up with another in 22LR. I would have to start shooting bigger vermin at shorter ranges to add a .22MAG. And/or start eating them - the 17HMR is pretty destructive.

My Marlin 917M2S is nearly as accurate as my Anschutz 1502, both are great tree squirrel rifles.

My Marlin XT-22VR is nearly as accurate as my Remington 37s and 40X, all four are great rifles for punching paper.

It doesn't seem logical to me for a person to ignore the opportunity to own an accurate rifle just because it is inexpensive. There are probably more inexpensive accurate rifles on the market now than at any time previously which seems like a good thing to me.

It's all personal preference (and a little 'snobery'). I'm at a point in my life where I'll pay a little more for refinements that are rare on inexpensive guns. Most of these refinements don't make them any more accurate but they do make me happy.

As to the 457, hopefully it will show up today. Would like to get it out this weekend and check it out.

Well, the pursuit of happiness is a foundation right of all Americans.

I agree that there is no question that the average Anschutz is more refined than the average Marlin, but if accuracy is the goal, the incremental increase in the accuracy potential of the Anschutz comes at a steep price.

Very few of the rifles that I shoot, or purchase with the intent of shooting, regardless of their cost, remain in the their factory specs condition for long, as I tend to tinker with my rifle and modify them to fit me and my needs. Some of my Marlins have been restocked with Boyds laminated stocks and most of the rimfire bolt guns have had some trigger work done on them. That said, I like the size and design of the Marlin 900 series synthetic stocks better than most and if it is an option, I prefer stainless to blued CM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i picked up a couple Ray-Vin 22mag uppers on a whim. years ago had a 22m in something or the other that if you were in front of me you were safe. most inaccurate rifle i ever had. soured me on the 22 mag for years. what a loss in enjoyment!
the ar22mags i have will shoot 1 inch at 100 so regular it gets boring. i use them for ground squirrel control in the alfalfa fields.
have a young friend that uses the 17hmr for just about everything and kills stuff i wouldn't use a .223 on.
take your pick.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've only got a coupla Garrow Hummers. Ray-Vin's are notorious,for shooting outta battery and he fully aborted 17 Hummer efforts. The Garrow locking lugs,are more than soothin'. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Have never seen a 22WMR begin to hang with 17 Hummer Precision...'course nobody else has either.(grin)

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mike's locking mechanism and gas system.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anybody use a 22mag semi auto? A buddy who chases coyotes is looking for one and likes the Ruger, but they are like hen's teeth and a hawks nest!!

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by markopolo50
Anybody use a 22mag semi auto? A buddy who chases coyotes is looking for one and likes the Ruger, but they are like hen's teeth and a hawks nest!!

I've got a couple of Remington 597s that I like to use for shooting called 'cats in tight cover.

I also have a Kodiak 260. It is among the least reliable rifles that I've ever owned.

Ruger 10/22 Magnums tend to be scarce and expensive. I had one that I converted to 17HMR, shot it a bit, converted it back to its original format, and then sold it for about 2x what I paid for it new. It wasn't any more reliable than the Remington 597s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by markopolo50

He wants/needs a Garrow Hummer.

Though I drive a Franklin 17 Whizzum too.

[Linked Image]

They are a piston gun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

582 Mils dialed on erector.

[Linked Image]

Mags ain't cheap,but they are rather well made and exceedingly robust.

[Linked Image]

It runs well.

[Linked Image]

Hint...................

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a CZ 512 Tactical and a Kel-Tec CMR 30, both in 22 Mag. They both work well and are more than accurate enough for my uses.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,919
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.