Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Pragmatism is hard for many to grasp around here, but here is Steves response.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/f...rr5w0waR_gA9iOtyzsUewrybsrQdwjdyY0G0-uEo

He had a good response.

I respect his views and positions. But to offer bits of rebuttal...

Those that take financial support from any entity are subject to that entities' regulation.

It makes no difference who or what entity. They all come with strings, and sooner or later, those strings can and will be pulled.

In lots of cases, the tunnel vision syndrome occurs. You start out in a very big tunnel... Lots of room in it. Lots of things encompassed. Then, the further you travel down that tunnel, the smaller in diameter it becomes.

Example: "We support the 2nd Amendment".... Then further down the tunnel, they take bump stocks. But that's OK. Hunters don't use bump stocks. Then a bit further down the tunnel, they ban high capacity mags. But we don't really use hi-caps, so it isn't affecting us. Then further down the tunnel, it narrows yet again, and bans semi-auto firearms. How many "real" hunters use those? Not many, and we really look down on those that do. So it's acceptable. A bit further down that tunnel, it gets narrower to the point that ammo is restricted to 100 rounds a year... (You see now how narrow the tunnel is getting) But you can't back out now....

You don't want to know what you have left when you are squirted out the small opening at the end. But, if you are at least a bit curious as to what awaits, then look at Europe... Because that's where we are headed. One chip at a time. One inch at a time. The tunnel is ever narrowing.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I watched the video and I agree with your post above. Your post talks about what might happen, and there's no way to deny what might happen.

Looks to me like many have concluded that it's already happened though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
I watched the video and I agree with your post above. Your post talks about what might happen, and there's no way to deny what might happen.

There's also no denying that in the past 60 years, the tunnel has been getting increasingly narrower.

History shows that.

At what point do we stop that?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its like informing on your neighbor to save your own ass.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's as if he thinks our principles have never been sold out before.

His response came across as indignant and contemptuous to me. Obviously, he didn't like having to explain his business decision to those who make what he does financially possible. Felt like he was one step away from using the "tin foil hat" or "clingers" pejoratives.

No matter... he can go be Martha Stewart somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by smokepole

There's also no denying that in the past 60 years, the tunnel has been getting increasingly narrower.

History shows that.

At what point do we stop that?

Anywhere we can. The part of his video I agree with though is that we need to get more people into hunting and I think his show does that by appealing to a wider swath of the population than any other "hunting show" I can think of. If we stick to recruiting new hunters from people we agree with 100% on everything, the pool of recruits shrinks considerably, like it or not.

We see the same things in our hunter ed classes, lots of people that I know I don't agree with politically but they want to hunt and own guns. I'll take it.

I have no idea about Montana politics, campaign funding or any of that, I'm stricly talking about Rinella's message.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by callnum

Lets not let facts get in the way of paranoia.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=51520

The resident Tester ball keeper sure thinks they're great.

Tester owes his squeaker of a win to Land Tawney/BHA and Ben OBrian.

Randy Newberg also gave Tester a very friendly platform with zero hard questions.

The fake public lands issue was played brilliantly by the Democrat operatives in Montana to nudge enough sportsmen over to Tester.

Newberg may as well be Neville Chamberlain. Doesn’t surprise me he’d let Tester go unchecked right in front of him. I mean…. we can’t dare interfere with leisurely pursuits. After all, that’s what built this country and our standard of living…. leisurely pursuits.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by copperking81
Obviously, he didn't like having to explain his business decision to those who make what he does financially possible.

And THAT is getting right down to the nut cuttin'...

It is exactly why these actions and these organizations are controversial.

None of them can do anything to justify their own actions with anything other than "It's done so we can continue to do _____________."

Deep down, they know this. And they do not like explaining these actions. Nor do they like weighing the long term consequences of their actions.

It's not just Meateater, or the BHA that does this. The NRA is notorious for it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by callnum

Lets not let facts get in the way of paranoia.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=51520

The resident Tester ball keeper sure thinks they're great.

Tester owes his squeaker of a win to Land Tawney/BHA and Ben OBrian.

Randy Newberg also gave Tester a very friendly platform with zero hard questions.

The fake public lands issue was played brilliantly by the Democrat operatives in Montana to nudge enough sportsmen over to Tester.

Burns,

Randy offered Rosendale the same platform...and he chose not to participate.

If Rosendale was such a champion of MY PUBLIC LANDS, wouldn't you think he would want to use any and all platforms to get that message out?

Rosendale was done before he started, and if not for the Trump machine spending massive tax payer dollars campaigning on his behalf...it wouldn't have been a "squeaker of a win".

Its embarrassing how much money, lots of it taxpayer money, the R's blew on Rosendale and still lost.

The one thing for certain, is that even though you think that public land transfer, which is part of the RNC platform, is not an issue...there is no doubt it is. That issue will continue to sway elections across the West. Those that think its "fake" are going to be on the losing end of a lot of elections. Count on it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BuzzH

I wish Tester was my Senator, he's damn good for sportsmen and the 2nd...and public lands, and responsible for getting wolves delisted in MT and ID.

For posterity

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The one thing for certain, is that even though you think that public land transfer, which is part of the RNC platform, is not an issue...there is no doubt it is. That issue will continue to sway elections across the West. Those that think its "fake" are going to be on the losing end of a lot of elections. Count on it.

Other than a few, sparse mentions of the land issue which are really not that popular among republicans, I don't really see that it's an RNC platform, as you say.

I do see plenty of liberal fearmongering from the likes of you though.

Nacy Pelosi would be proud.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ben O'Brien is now a producer for Steve Rinella's show and if you listen to that guy your warm and fuzzies will disappear quickly.

He claims to have created the "Pro-Nuance/Anti-Bullschit" slogan used by the show. Yet whenever someone talks gun control or wanting to shoot an elephant, he stays very fugking clear of nuance.

Rinella is personable and came up with a good show but he's the last guy I want advocating for anything politically. In interviews he allows anti-gun sentiments to cruise right by and he doesn't do a good job of defending all types of hunting. He will defend baiting and the use of dogs but he isn't horribly articulate about it and he approaches everything from a "please understand so I can keep doing this" approach. He and his show are in bed with the anti-gun community. Period.

He can use examples like Fox News as never being influenced by left leaning sponsors but he only displays his own naivety when he does so.

I for one DO NOT want more hunters. I would much rather see hunters get on a unified front with companies in the renewable resource business and make compromises with those demographics than some left leaning cock sucker that has only one goal.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Other than a few, sparse mentions of the land issue which are really not that popular among republicans, I don't really see that it's an RNC platform, as you say.

You may as well argue with smokepole's buddy.

Buzz is a raging liberal.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by copperking81

Newberg may as well be Neville Chamberlain. Doesn’t surprise me he’d let Tester go unchecked right in front of him. I mean…. we can’t dare interfere with leisurely pursuits. After all, that’s what built this country and our standard of living…. leisurely pursuits.

You nailed it and that's one of the reasons I can't stand the influx of new hunters.

By and large they carry a chip on their shoulder and think cows belong in a slaughterhouse and not in a pasture.

The left is using these clowns to march through their first priority which is farmers, ranchers, logging industry, mining rights, etc. Hunters will be discarded of after that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You may as well argue with smokepole's buddy.

Buzz is a raging liberal.

OK, I give. Who is "my buddy?"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jeffrey.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, why do you say that?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Put on the readers old timer...

“Congress shall immediately pass universal legislation providing for a timely and orderly mechanism requiring the federal government to convey certain federally controlled public lands to states. We call upon all national and state leaders and representatives to exert their utmost power and influence to urge the transfer of those lands, identified in the review process, to all willing states for the benefit of the states and the nation as a whole. The residents of state and local communities know best how to protect the land where they work and live.”

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Pragmatism is hard for many to grasp around here, but here is Steves response.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/f...rr5w0waR_gA9iOtyzsUewrybsrQdwjdyY0G0-uEo

He had a good response.

I respect his views and positions. But to offer bits of rebuttal...

Those that take financial support from any entity are subject to that entities' regulation.

It makes no difference who or what entity. They all come with strings, and sooner or later, those strings can and will be pulled.

In lots of cases, the tunnel vision syndrome occurs. You start out in a very big tunnel... Lots of room in it. Lots of things encompassed. Then, the further you travel down that tunnel, the smaller in diameter it becomes.

Example: "We support the 2nd Amendment".... Then further down the tunnel, they take bump stocks. But that's OK. Hunters don't use bump stocks. Then a bit further down the tunnel, they ban high capacity mags. But we don't really use hi-caps, so it isn't affecting us. Then further down the tunnel, it narrows yet again, and bans semi-auto firearms. How many "real" hunters use those? Not many, and we really look down on those that do. So it's acceptable. A bit further down that tunnel, it gets narrower to the point that ammo is restricted to 100 rounds a year... (You see now how narrow the tunnel is getting) But you can't back out now....

You don't want to know what you have left when you are squirted out the small opening at the end. But, if you are at least a bit curious as to what awaits, then look at Europe... Because that's where we are headed. One chip at a time. One inch at a time. The tunnel is ever narrowing.

Oh, and speaking of fear mongering old timer....you would know it when you see it, no arguing that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've stated more than once they are not our friends.

I do enjoy Rinella's show but if you listen to him in podcasts he's way off base on more than one thing and one of his producer's is an outright POS.

I don't trust anything associated with this conglomerate. They're playing the long game and the long game is (IMO) securing support of hunters so they can rub out ranchers and the harvesting of natural resources.

After that, they'll turn on hunters.

This guy is correct.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 10 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.