Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Anyone had eye surgery, new lens put in? My right eye needs it worse than the left. Open sights, forget it. A friend of wifey had it done two weeks ago to her left eye, the other last week. She said it took 6 minutes. She says it’s amazing how much better she can see. I didn’t ask what it costs, does anyone know? Will Medicare pay for it? I’m nervous about anyone doing anything to my eyes. Will I still need glasses to read?

Thanks for replies!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Anyone had eye surgery, new lens put in? My right eye needs it worse than the left. Open sights, forget it. A friend of wifey had it done two weeks ago to her left eye, the other last week. She said it took 6 minutes. She says it’s amazing how much better she can see. I didn’t ask what it costs, does anyone know? Will Medicare pay for it? I’m nervous about anyone doing anything to my eyes. Will I still need glasses to read?

Thanks for replies!

Wife had both hers done. I guess she sees better.

Insurance paid most of hers.

She got the longer range lenses, so she still needs reading glasses.

I hear there's a doc there in Houston that does multi-focal lenses now.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Wife and I have both had outs done. Ours were done before we qualified for Medicare, so can't say, but from he other stuff I've had done, I suspect the vast majority will be paid. It was a blessing to me and to the wife. Been probably 10 years since I've had mine done and I'm still 20/25 so I can live with that. I've had to use glasses for reading for a long time, I prefer being able to see distance.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had it done two years ago. First the right eye and then the left. Wore glasses since 6th grade so I opted for farsighted lenses, I was nearsighted for all the time up to the surgery. Easy peasy.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had mine done about 12 years ago. I had a week in between them and trying to adjust my eyes in that week was the worst part of it. I still need glasses for reading but it was very successful. It helped my shooting immensely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Had both eyes done about a month ago.

Medicare covered all except $55 (for some eye drop prescriptions) for basic lenses. The multi-focal kind are more expensive. You may or may not need reading glasses. I didn't because I got one eye slightly nearsighted.

I had Lasik at extra cost to correct astigmatism right after that. That eye still isn't totally stabilized but altogether I have 20-25 vision and almost 20-20 (started with 20-50). Probably will end up with 20-20. I shot 100 birds (Sporting Clays) last week and ran 5 of the 14 stations. Never had done that before.

You should discuss all options with your doctor.
'

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had it done last year .Left eye done in July right eye in October. It's a pretty simple procedure.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Had both done a year ago and the multi focal lens implanted. Paid extra 900.00 per eye out of my pocket for the multi focal lenses but my insurance took care of the rest of it. Would have been no cost to me for the regular lenses.
X

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had both eyes done this past December

The right eye was textbook but the left eye had bleeding behind the lense and now I have a bunch of huge floaters.

Neither eye hit the 20/20 goal

Left is now -2 and the right is a -.75

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had both of mine done after dealing with retina detachments. Best thing you can do to clear up vision, 10 minute procedure, insurance will pay, fully loaded cost is 23k (thank you Obamacare), insurance will knock it down to 7k ish.

It’s an easy procedure. My left eye is a 0.00 and right eye is 2.00 and I don’t have to wear glasses which I had done since 1980...

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had cataract surgery both eyes done in May of last year at age of 53 and had the Torac lenses for astigmatism in both eyes. Worn eye glasses sense the age of 7. Cost $1100.00 for each Torac lens (per eye) that insurance doesn't cover (out of pocket) So $2200.00 for both eyes. Luckily I had two FSA medical accounts and money in them to use. Before surgery had 20/40 vision and after have 20/20 vision at distance in both eyes. I only need 1.75 power reading glasses for fine print. Well worth the cost in my eyes.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had my left eye done a month ago. Honestly, I was scared spitless of it, but as everybody said, it turned out to be a ho-hum deal. Doc recommended the regular lens, and I opted for distance. I'm used to reading glasses, so that made sense. He doesn't want to touch my right eye because he said it would be nuts to operate on 20/25 vision. I have Medicare and Tricare, and paid only a $400 hospital fee they said isn't covered.

My new prescription glasses are enroute from zenni.com any day now. I highly recommend them over any optical shop. Price this at any shop you choose: Titanium flex memory frame, bifocal lenses, tinted, with scratch coat, anti-glare-coat, UV coat, with a set of clip on sun lenses. From zenni, they're $88.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had both eyes done three years ago. Medicare covered all but something less than $100 per eye for some prescription eye drops. My vision went from around 20-400 to 20-20 in the right eye and 20-25 in the left. I still need reading glasses but obviously see fine to drive. After wearing glasses for 60 years I cannot tell you how great it is to sit in a tree stand or ground blind on a frosty day and not have to fuss with foggy eyeglasses. I can now shoot iron sighted rifles quite well (at least from a vision standpoint).

One thing I have to remember to do is to wear safety glasses when working on certain things in the shop.

It is a quick and easy deal with fairly quick recovery time to normal.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a piece of cake hanco. No worries. You won't believe how much you've been missing. And colors become vibrant again.

Good Luck!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I had mine done about 12 years ago.

What they said... Piece of cake. I was given option of nears, fars, or one of each. Apparently the multi's were not around yet, or if I was advised of them, I do not remember.

I went for far vision, and use cheap drugstore readers inside arms length. ($18 or so at Costco for a 3-pack)

55 years of wearing glasses full time went out the window with the surgery, now only readers. When I can find any one of the half dozen pairs I have around....

Last edited by las; 01/21/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thanks for the replies, I would like to see well enough to shoot open sights again.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
It's a piece of cake hanco. No worries. You won't believe how much you've been missing. And colors become vibrant again.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by saskfox
You will.

Mine done in 2009. I have 20/20 in eye. 20/25 in the other. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hanco; had both done in 2010? 2011?

Vast improvement once the cataracts were gone. Went with distance vision. End results I have squint and lean 20/20 so need distance glasses for detail at distance; driving and hunting. Need readers for close work and have been sensitive to sunlight (causes migraines no pain just the visual distortion) so I need to wear sunglasses a great deal of the time.

I can use peep sights again( could not when the cataracts were bad) but open sights I can’t manage the rear sight.

Vast improvement from the cataracts but not perfect results.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As i've said before, I have had rougher haircuts. Vision has never been better.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.