-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Ordered a new set. Just can't get used to the stock grips on the SBH Bisley. Recoil mostly affects pinky because of the angled bottom. Going full length to bottom of frame.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Bisley is designed to roll in the hand as it recoils. My suggestion is to look into a handgun shooting glove. Google "handgun shooting gloves". Lots of information. I think this would be cheaper to try rather than replacing grips.

FYI. I own the same 480 Bisley. I shoot it without gloves and I allow it to roll. However, what works for me may not work for other shooters. My heaviest loads are 400 grains.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I put some American Holly on mine and made them a little thicker than the factory grips. Recoil is not bad with my 400 gr @ 1000 FPS
[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have the 6-1/2" barreled .454. The factory grips were thin and smaller than the grip frame. Recoil wasn't as bad as I expected but it still wasn't "right." I replaced them with black micarta Hogue's. Those were a bit oversized so I filed them down to fit the frame as exactly as I could. Pain in the ass but I'm very happy with the results.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my opinion the Bisley grip is vastly overrated. I've owned a 475 Linebaugh and a 480 Ruger with Bisley grips and they all pulverized my middle finger. I don't know about this "rolling with the recoil" phenomenon but it hasn't happened for me. I think the DA grip found on the SRH and other revolvers is MUCH better for handling recoil than that damned Bisley grip,.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

pacecars...those look great! That shape is what am getting. Have been thinking of adding the 4 5/8" Bisley, too. How does it compare to the 6 1/2 in recoil, handling and performance?

My recoil is really only felt on the pinky of the strong hand. Not enough grip contact on that finger having large hands. Am using the very firm grip of the support hand as recommended by Prasac.

Thanks Lennie for the suggestion...am already successfully using Black Diamond Pilot gloves for all my .44s and 45-70s.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There is not much difference in the 6 1/2" and 4 5/8" barrels recoil wise but carrying in a belt holster is another matter. I had a 6 1/2" version and was going to have it cut down to 5 inches (even with the long ejector housing) but they came out with the 4 5/8" so I sold the longer one and bought this one. I only had the factory grips on the 6.5" so I don't know if the grips made a difference in felt recoil or not. With the 100 FPS 400 gr load it is not punishing at all. I have shot a few factory loads with more velocity but lighter bullets and they were not too bad in the 6.5" gun. I settled on the cast bullet load before I got the short gun and it was accurate in it so I have not found a reason to change. I would feel comfortable using that load on anything I wanted to hunt in North America. By the way the grips came from "sixshot" on the single action forum. They were inlet to his gun and left oversized to finish myself. I would highly recommend him he also has walnut and his prices are very good.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by John_Havard
In my opinion the Bisley grip is vastly overrated. I've owned a 475 Linebaugh and a 480 Ruger with Bisley grips and they all pulverized my middle finger. I don't know about this "rolling with the recoil" phenomenon but it hasn't happened for me. I think the DA grip found on the SRH and other revolvers is MUCH better for handling recoil than that damned Bisley grip,.

Contrasting your experience, a Super Redhawk in "mere" .44 magnum beat my hands up much worse than any single action ever has.

For managing recoil, I don't find the Bisley grip advantageous at .44 recoil levels but at .454 levels, definitely a plus. I don't like the Bisley hammer and grip so far as drawing from a holster and point-shooting. It's awkward as wiping your ass with the wrong hand.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lennie
The Bisley is designed to roll in the hand as it recoils. My suggestion is to look into a handgun shooting glove. Google "handgun shooting gloves". Lots of information. I think this would be cheaper to try rather than replacing grips.

FYI. I own the same 480 Bisley. I shoot it without gloves and I allow it to roll. However, what works for me may not work for other shooters. My heaviest loads are 400 grains.

Actually it shouldn't roll and it wasn't designed to roll. It should come back more like a DA grip. It is vastly easier to control when recoil levels go up than the various plow-handle styles.

Here are a few of my Bisley grips to ponder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

"...mmm...mmm...mmm..." BOING!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow... Max those grips are just beautiful

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Wow... Max those grips are just beautiful

Jerry

Thank you sir!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Those are some nice looking grips. Did you make them?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Well, for what its worth,,,, here is my Bisley .44, and the Gun-Fighter Grips,,,,, with the 2-port, Mag-na-Port job, and the Barrel Chopped to 6", the Balance and Performance is 2nd to None, as I've been Shooting Ruger Handguns since about 1963, or there abouts.
LJ cool

Attached Images

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Disseminator
Those are some nice looking grips. Did you make them?

Oh God no, those wee done by pros: Jack Huntington and Rob Rowen...

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the gunfighter style grips. Here's a couple of mine:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yours in Liberty,

BL
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hogue grips run thicker and these came with some pretty decent wood (a bit hard to see here) and fit pretty well for off the shelf grips.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.