Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Well here is the start. 99E fit with a 23 inch what I would call light #2 contour. The rifle also has been fit with an ambidextrious lever safety. Does not look like much yet and the most difficult work is yet to come (the stock work)
Couple of things I need
Needed pre war r forend dimentions
Needed length of screw to fit forend
Needed carrier spindle screw at least that is what I think they are called. This rifle takes a larger diameter shank wondering if that means it needs one for a serries A?

Hopefully soon of to another forum member for stock work.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13480471#Post13480471

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve never had a 260 but I’m a fan of the 6.5 Swede and that makes me like it. I had a pre-war 99R and the forearm is much like the post-war F. Unless it’s the look you are after I’d say the F forearm is a bit better looking and functional shape. What style of butt stock are you using?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The forearm screw for the R is slightly under 1". Do you need one?

The spindle head screw got larger with the 900K changes to the magazine. Can't imagine why? I have that on hand too.

Drop me a PM if you want the parts.

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Mike do you have the metal piece that fits in the For end?

The but stock will be a hybrid, memory says the pre war R for end is shorter and narower than the post war R?

How many rotory magazine 260 remingtons have you guys seen?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm waiting for yours, so I can say one.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think Jeff has one. 260remguy

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The pre and post war forearms are completely different. I’m not a big fan of either though I think the prewar version looks nicer. To me, the post war F has about as well balanced and functional look as you can get for a “modern” looking 99, though I’ll always be a fan of the EG.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
9" from receiver to end of forearm, plus .09" projects inside the receiver. Receiver width and height at rear of course. From front end of forearm it's 1.66" to the center of the two lines around the forearm. The outside width of those two lines in .114". The lines are somewhat thinner than the ridge between them. It's a straight taper from the receiver to about .6" of the end where it rounds off. The forearm is 1.28" thick/wide at the two lines.Height at the double lines is 1.28".

The sides are flat and a it's a straight line from the receiver forward. It's not "round" like a post war R.

LOL
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

CTW, is there someone here that will rough out a stock blank and inletting leaving the final shaping and inletting to me? If so, I would like to talk to him.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pm sent!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
No one at the shop will do the rough inlet from a blank. Did you get your 450 bushmaster barreled?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by ctw
No one at the shop will do the rough inlet from a blank. Did you get your 450 bushmaster barreled?

The 450 Bushmaster project has taken an interesting turn and it looks like I am going to be able to make this 450 BM work on a pre million 99 with significant modification. Over the years I have collected a number of pre mill basketcase 99's so have a good supply to work from.
Have the barrel, just don't know if we will be turning the threads for a square thread pre mill or taper post mill threads. Also have the headspace gauges for this. I have a gorgeous fiddleback walnut stock blank I want to use for this rifle to inly and shape thus my question.
I can't wait to get this one done.

I did hunt this year with a new 450 Bushmaster bolt rifle that I broke down and bought along with a S&B 8 x 56 that will be my low light stand rifle. Damn thing is accurate as hell with factory ammo:

Attached Images
Scout 450 BM.PNG (33.99 KB, 21 downloads)
77 450.jpg (18.01 KB, 18 downloads)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m going to make a shameless pitch at self promotion here and tell you I put an unfinished stock set up for sale a couple months ago and got no takers. The set may be close to what you are trying to do. The forearm is similar to a prewar R and the butt is more like what I guess you’d call a modern “western” style, that is a flat and not Monte Carlo comb. The stocks are made from nice California black walnut and were purchased years ago from Great American Gun Stocks for a 99E project I eventually sold. If interested let me know. If not that’s okay too.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The sides are flat and a it's a straight line from the receiver forward. It's not "round" like a post war R.

The post war forearm is a porker. I still get a chuckle over a comment Roy made a few years ago about the “clubability” of the post war R!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG

The post war forearm is a porker. I still get a chuckle over a comment Roy made a few years ago about the “clubability” of the post war R!

Hey, fat girls need love too.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just so long as you don’t use them to club wild beasts, unless they’re into it then by all means have at it!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With some nice wood I think a 260 E would be a BAMF.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
nice wood can even make gold triggers look good... wink

[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Thanks for the measurements and photos Roy! It seems like the pre-war R forearm is closer to the post-war F than it is to the post-war R

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (1_deuce, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 49 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,207
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.