Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looking to send a S&W 69 to a smith for an action/trigger job. What is the go to place these days? Looking for quality, with a decent turn-around time.
Thanks!

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Frank Glenn in Phoenix. Don't know what his turn around time is. He certainly isn't the only one, but he does good work.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
frank glenn doesn't live that far from my house, been in his shop many times. I guess i could say i know him personally, good guy and a wizz at gunsmithing. I wouldn't hesitate on anything with him.
First gun, of many, i took in there was to have a ambi safety fitted to a springfield champion. He had it apart in seemed like about ten seconds.
fired up his air powered tools, and went to work. I don't think i was in the shop 15 minutes.
I also know of some revolver builds he has done that are first rate on a national scale.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Glenn does quality work.

Glenn Custom
4.5 star rating 5 reviews Details , Opens a popupRating details Guns & Ammo Edit

11012 N 32nd St
Phoenix, AZ 85028
(602) 978-9089

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't know what the turn around is at the Performance Center these days but I'd call and find out.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Karl Sokol at https://chestnutmountainsports.net/

He squared away my old Model 29-2. Price was reasonable and he worked quickly.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Magna port in Michigan

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks fellas. I'll make some phone calls!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
few years ago mentioned to a gun type friend i always wanted a smython. smith frame model 19 with a colt barrel. Glenn built him one and did an action job on it, sent to fords for the cosmetic work.

When he got it back, out on the desert to shoot it, was a well known gun writer. Gun writer shot it, and talked him out of it. Went home with gunwriter. Glenn does good work.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Absolute best I have ever seen is Sandy Garrett at Northern Virginia Gunworks. He has done several action jobs for me on Smith and Wesson revolvers and they are superb. Sandy is all business, man of his word, fast turn around.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/northern-virginia-gun-works-springfield

Last edited by GF1; 01/20/19.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Give Ben Forkin a call. He is in White Sulphur Springs Montana.

(406) 547-2344

Conduct is the best proof of character.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would use S&W.

IME, having the S&W invoice adds at least half the cost of the work to the value of the handgun and quite often all the cost can be added. An action job by 'Some Guy' most often hurts the value of the handgun.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JOG
I would use S&W.

IME, having the S&W invoice adds at least half the cost of the work to the value of the handgun and quite often all the cost can be added. An action job by 'Some Guy' most often hurts the value of the handgun.

The Smith PC of today ain't that of yesterday, if you need proof handle one of the new PC guns. They are about on par with average production pre lock gun on timing, lock up and action.

I have used magna port they are great but I tried them about a year ago and they weren't doing new action jobs, to back logged.

Sokol did a Bhp for me great work and guy.

Gary Reeder is good as well.

Spence

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EdM
Give Ben Forkin a call. He is in White Sulphur Springs Montana.

(406) 547-2344

Interesting. Looking up his address, I've apparently done a pack test right by his house.

Originally Posted by spence1875
Originally Posted by JOG
I would use S&W.

The Smith PC of today ain't that of yesterday, if you need proof handle one of the new PC guns. They are about on par with average production pre lock gun on timing, lock up and action.

I have used magna port they are great but I tried them about a year ago and they weren't doing new action jobs, to back logged.

Sokol did a Bhp for me great work and guy.

Gary Reeder is good as well.

Spence

My initial thoughts were to go with S&W, but a couple of fairly recent negative reviews of their work on the web left me looking elsewhere.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m surprised EdM being a mechanical engineer hasn’t had his fingers under the side plate. A friend of mine who is a really good pistol smith walked me through a trigger job. Knowing I had him for backup , I did a couple. They turned out fine. I guess you can call me Bubba.
You all have me curious now. How many remove the side plate to clean and lube a revolver . Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Looking to send a S&W 69 to a smith for an action/trigger job. What is the go to place these days? Looking for quality, with a decent turn-around time.
Thanks!

Since I discovered Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, they do all of my pistolsmithing. I highly recommend them, great work, fair price, and quick turn-around. I have had them do their action job and tune and ream the forcing cone on several S&W, Rossi, Ruger, and Taurus revolvers in.22 LR, .22 MAG, 357, 44, and 45. A great value for under $150, including shipping and insurance.

If I had your S&W 69, I'd send it to Ahlman's before I even shot it for the first time.

www.ahlmans.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try changing the trigger spring. Makes a world of difference and takes about 5 minutes and 5 bucks. Hammer springs are hit and miss but come with the spring set sometimes. Easy to do and could save you a bunch of time and money.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by centershot
Try changing the trigger spring. Makes a world of difference and takes about 5 minutes and 5 bucks. Hammer springs are hit and miss but come with the spring set sometimes. Easy to do and could save you a bunch of time and money.

This, on the new production S&W's. I also second (or third) the observation that S&W's custom shop is not what it once was. I would not send a revolver to S&W customer service for anything other than a refund or a replacement.

Last edited by Oregon45; 01/22/19.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I’m surprised EdM being a mechanical engineer hasn’t had his fingers under the side plate. A friend of mine who is a really good pistol smith walked me through a trigger job. Knowing I had him for backup , I did a couple. They turned out fine. I guess you can call me Bubba.
You all have me curious now. How many remove the side plate to clean and lube a revolver . Hasbeen

Oh, I do my own. He was looking for someone to do his.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by centershot

May give this a try. I've already been into this revolver to change the lock out for "The Plug".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,655
Posts18,533,871
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.