Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No doubt these are the big fish on the MLB free agent market. Market for them has been slow. Where do you think they will land and if you were a GM, and you knew you had to be responsible with your payroll not only this season, but for the next 5-6-7-+, would you sign them?

Me? I want both but wouldn't pay the money or the years they are asking.

$28-$40 million per year for 7-10 with the assorted outs? $40 million/year is 20-25% of most MLB payrolls on one guy.

My guess on Harper, he re-signs with the Nats or goes to the Mets. Mets have money and do stuff like this to make a splash when the Yankees are hot.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Phillies are active bidders on both. I think both players want to go where the spotlight is brighter.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rumor is that both are going to sign with the Padres

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MD521

Really? Missed that one. $60 million+ in 2 players? What do they have for pitching?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harper was a god in Washington when we were there in 2017. TV was full of advertisements featuring Harper. He obviously enjoyed the noteriety. They had/have a good team. We went to a game, in what is a very nice stadium IMO. Our seats were down the first base side. Harper was right in front of us. Not a bad fielder, pretty good arm. Struck out once or twice, but hit the ball with authority. He did a home run.

Unfortunately, the Phillies came back and beat them. On that day, the player who caught my eye was The SS, Trea Turner. I wouldn't mind him on the Blue Jays, but Beau Bichette is coming up and along with Vladimir Geuerro Jr., is supposed to be a goody.

I hope Harper goes back to the Nats. I might give him 10 years but not at the 30mil plus he is asking. 25?

Machado is pretty damn good, but his comment in the playoffs, that he doesn't hustle, throws me off. I don't know if I would want him on my team.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MD521

The industry is rife with rumors. I get a MLB email update every morning. If that was happening, it likely would have happened already. That rumor has been on and off for months.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Spring training starts next month and they are not signed yet. It's really amazing that no team has signed them. Last year there was a lot of seat backs showing when the cameras scanned the crowds. Ticket prices are high right along with the concessions and parking.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AB2506
Harper was a god in Washington when we were there in 2017. TV was full of advertisements featuring Harper. He obviously enjoyed the noteriety. They had/have a good team. We went to a game, in what is a very nice stadium IMO. Our seats were down the first base side. Harper was right in front of us. Not a bad fielder, pretty good arm. Struck out once or twice, but hit the ball with authority. He did a home run.

Unfortunately, the Phillies came back and beat them. On that day, the player who caught my eye was The SS, Trea Turner. I wouldn't mind him on the Blue Jays, but Beau Bichette is coming up and along with Vladimir Geuerro Jr., is supposed to be a goody.

I hope Harper goes back to the Nats. I might give him 10 years but not at the 30mil plus he is asking. 25?

Machado is pretty damn good, but his comment in the playoffs, that he doesn't hustle, throws me off. I don't know if I would want him on my team.

Vlad Jr. is going to better than dad, and that is really good!!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Can't stand Harper...too full of himself.

Wish Trout played for an east coast team so I could catch more of him.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I was a GM I would not sign either of them for the kind of money that is being talked about. There is so much more young talent in baseball, maybe the most ever, that you are better off using your payroll dollars to buy depth. Think about it: The population of the US has grown considerably since the last expansion teams were formed, plus more Latin and Asian talent is available. Kids are better coached than ever, and play more games as amateurs than ever. Yes, guys like Harper and Machado are better than the average big-league player, but the difference isn't enough to justify the additional money it will take to sign them.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by hatari
No doubt these are the big fish on the MLB free agent market. Market for them has been slow. Where do you think they will land and if you were a GM, and you knew you had to be responsible with your payroll not only this season, but for the next 5-6-7-+, would you sign them?

$28-$40 million per year for 7-10 with the assorted outs? $40 million/year is 20-25% of most MLB payrolls on one guy.

My guess on Harper, he re-signs with the Nats or goes to the Mets. Mets have money and do stuff like this to make a splash when the Yankees are hot.

Machado should land In The unemployment line. Cry baby.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

Eff machado

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Toronto has some really good young talent coming up, although I think their position players are better than their pitching.

I agree with the comment where it is stated that teams may be better off signing a number of players for depth than either Harper and Machado. I think they over value themselves.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Talent level is high on both . Can't see signing anyone to a $300 Million contract. Probably give either 30 mill per for 4 years . Don't think that will get it done

Machado - don't think his talent level outweighs his a$$hole potential .

Harper likes the light shining on him. I'd like him vs Machado even though he plays a 'lower' value position.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Vlad Jr. is going to better than dad, and that is really good!!

More disciplined at the plate . Seems to have the awesome talent happening with the bat

Worry a little about his physique . Seems like a 'character' player

Think management is handling him correctly .

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Lorne

Talent level is high on both . Can't see signing anyone to a $300 Million contract. Probably give either 30 mill per for 4 years . Don't think that will get it done

Machado - don't think his talent level outweighs his a$$hole potential .

Harper likes the light shining on him. I'd like him vs Machado even though he plays a 'lower' value position.

I agree with your assessment of machado...... dude needs his a s s beat by Nolan Ryan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harper was a fool to turn down the 300 mil the nats already offered him. He'll now end up with less and on a different team. Nats are gonna be a playoff team without him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Machado is a punk and a cancer. Harper has already turned down a 10-year $300million from the Senators.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.