Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I already have two ARs for hunting, one in 6.5 Grendel and the other in 5.56mm. I also have two ARs that are bedside rifles in 5.56mm. All have either Jard or Geiselle triggers, and they need no trigger work. But still...a while back those LaRue MBT triggers were available at a very good price and even though I didn't need them, I bought two. They were just too good to pass up!

I should have known what would happen and I guess I have to own up to it...I don't need two more ARs but I went ahead and acquired a couple of Aero Precision stripped lowers and I have committed myself to another pair of builds. I guess this is the best time to be acquiring ARs since they've never been cheaper, and in today's political climate anything could happen in the market.

Anywho, I am trying to decide what to build before I get much further. I have no interest in the .300 Whisper/Blackout, and I don't want to do .224 Valkyrie. I thought about the .450 & .500 Beowulf and the .458 SOCOM, but I'm not sure I want an AR that recoils like a .45-70 (even though I AM kinda intrigued with the .458). I liked the idea of the .25-45 Sharps when it first appeared, but it seems to have DISappeared. Same with the .30 AR. I'm lacking inspiration and can't decide what to do.

One thing that crosses my mind is to duplicate the hunting ARs, as in building another each of the Grendel and the 5.56mm. At present I have four optics for my hunting ARs: 2 each VX-3 3.5-10x, 1 each photon XT 4.6x and 1 each Pulsar Trail XQ30. Currently I have decent QD mounts on all four of these optics to use on the two rifles. If I was to build another 5.56mm and another 6.5 Grendel, then each of the four optics might or would find a permanent home and I would dedicate one pair of rifles to night hunting and two to daytime hunting (hogs, for the most part).

So, I'd like thoughts on two main questions:

1. If I was to build another 5.56mm and Grendel which would be better suited to night hunting, the pair of 5.56mms or the pair of 6.5 Grendels? And why do you think so? I seem to have no opinion of my own on this.

2. What other cartridges might I consider? I'm open to 7.62x39 and any other practical cartridge (but I am not inclined to go with the Blackout or Valkyrie---the BO strikes me as too anemic and the Valkyrie is just a faster .22 which seems unnecessary to me). Brass availability is a definite concern and I don't want to spend $200 on a set of custom dies.

So, help me out here. Maybe I'm overlooking a fantastic and obvious choice that just hasn't occurred to me.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally I'd build an Ar pistol in plain old 5.56 to start.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You 6.8 SPC with 18” or 20” barrel and maybe a 300Hamr that fill in the gaps as far calibers are concerned. Or you could build one in 6mm Creed that’d cover most of everything!

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
22LR,to bolster familiarity and hook others.

Keep the spare lower on hand,until you know whatcha want and more importantly...why.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1000 words................

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

Hhmmm...that might be fun. I don't currently have a semi-auto rimfire rifle and the thought of a 10-22 has crossed my mind once or twice lately. How large a magazine can you get for a rifle like that, Stick? I don't know a damned thing about rimfire ARs. Except that there are some really cheap ones out there.

Other thoughts I've had the last few minutes...if I was to build another 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel my thermal and NV would go on the 5.56s and my 3.5-10s would take up residence on the Grendels, my reasoning being that I can see better in daylight and shoot further making better use of the Grendel's superior down-range performance potential.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gun Black Dog mags. They make a 50rd drum,if that's your thing. I gun their 15rd mags and have a dozen or so and that is what's in the rifle pictured.

Easy to build a folder,because nothing reciprocates in the buffer tube.

Hint................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it a stock AR lower?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good ideas to keep in mind, Stick. I kinda like the folder idea.

They are just plain-jane Aero Precision Gen 2 AR15 stripped lower receivers.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Is it a stock AR lower?

Roger.

CMC trigger.............

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Good ideas to keep in mind, Stick. I kinda like the folder idea.

They are just plain-jane Aero Precision Gen 2 AR15 stripped lower receivers.

Vanilla Lowers.

Correct..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, I may have to try that myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Is that a 16" barrel ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fhuqk...posted the RINK,on the wrong Thread(PSA Thread instead). Ooopsie! My bad.

Try this:

PSA 22LR Upper RINK

May scratch an itch.

Hint..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Roger 16" spout.

Amongst others,if only in extrapolation...though wearing a Reupold 6x42 in this frame.

[Linked Image]

I REALLY like it with the Romeo 5 and am hip on the 2 MOA dot. Fast,functional and nothing is gonna get away,within the limits of the platform. 25rd stick mag pictured and why I MUCH prefer the 15's. The Faux MK 12 SPR is 18" Rifle Gas and the Garrow Hummer is 18" also.

If you all cut checks,it will be a BINGO.

Fhuqking laughing!....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, looks like they're on sale too smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BINGO!

Laughing!................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would build something easy to reload for like a 20 Practical or 17-223. I have them both and your eye doesnt even come out of the scope when shooting. So you see all your hits. They have Blackhole barrels and really shoot good.

Something to think about

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fhuqk...posted the RINK,on the wrong Thread(PSA Thread instead). Ooopsie! My bad.

Try this:

PSA 22LR Upper RINK

May scratch an itch.

Hint..............

What mags are you running?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 15 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.