Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

what are you guys using for your sticks?...….am looking for some to use while sitting and calling...…..no bipods...……...bob

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a set of Sniper Styxs that work well. As I get older and hunt different terrains and more on a stool than a low seat I've been using XC Poles with the baskets removed and painted camo. I have a set painted white for snow and when I strap on the skis to get out in the deeper snow, left the baskets on these. I just loop the wrist straps over the other pole and it makes a nice saddle for the rifle to sit in. They are fairly long so they work well on hillsides , sitting on a stool and even standing in the thicker flats. They are also very handi to help get in and out of washes and climbing hillsides. Trekking poles work just as well.

Everything goes on the back scabbard so my hands are free to use poles, they are handy for poking around for buzz worms before sitting down.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 01/23/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny you should mention that. I was just about to google up a camera monopod in lightweight carbon fiber. I saw an old guy using one for walking and photography, and decided I can use one of those. It was easy to adjust for length. And I’ll be watching this post to see what others suggest.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BobMt: I have all manner of "shooting sticks" - one legged ones, two legged ones and three legged ones.
I have come to the conclusion (several years ago) that the good'ole Harris tall swiveling bi-pod serves my Hunting purposes/shooting better.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

You might take a look at the sticks made by Verne Howey. Verne was a WY gov hunter and came up with the design quite a few years ago. They're not a factory made thing, but lots of predator hunters use them.

Several years ago, I was shooting ground squirrels with Fieldgrade(Campfire member) and he had a set. He was making shots on 200+ yard squirrels while sitting with boring regularity. I found a set and bought'em. Good solid sticks.

IC B2

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Lonny....looked them up...cant tell if they adjust for height.....or when sitting do you cant them out?....they look good, maybe a little heavy....

but that probably means they are not flimsy...….will order set tomorrow......bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can make a set pretty quickly.
I use electrical fence fiberglass rods, green castrating bands, drill one end and glue in arrow field tips so they stick in the ground, no slipping, 4 bands 3" from one end, slip 3/8" clear tubing on each end so they don't make noise, you have a custom set that will last & last with out much cost.
Height is easily changes by opening them up or closing.
[Linked Image]DSC00038

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

No adjustment other than you open the legs wider to get them lower. The yoke pivots independently from the legs so even on you can make the rifle level. They are pretty stout, but I would't consider them heavy. I've been finding they work as short walking sticks on the steep hills. They are pretty long, but that works well when the snow is say 6-8 inches deep and the sticks sink in, but you are sitting on top of the snow

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Lonny
Bob,

No adjustment other than you open the legs wider to get them lower. The yoke pivots independently from the legs so even on you can make the rifle level. They are pretty stout, but I would't consider them heavy. I've been finding they work as short walking sticks on the steep hills. They are pretty long, but that works well when the snow is say 6-8 inches deep and the sticks sink in, but you are sitting on top of the snow

I went brain dead for a moment.....of course you spread them out......the yoke pivoting would be key....website said touch over 3 pounds.

5spd......thanks ……..bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not much flimsier, than glass fence stakes.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a Primos Trigger Stick bipod. Have used this for years.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve used several different sets of sticks over the years..... none of them hold a candle to the SFT.

[Linked Image]

Works pretty good as a rear rest too....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I’ve used several different sets of sticks over the years..... none of them hold a candle to the SFT.

[Linked Image]

Works pretty good as a rear rest too....

[Linked Image]

I like that setup. But isn't that more tripod'ish than shooting sticks?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep.... shooting sticks suck for anything over about 100 yards... especially on coyotes.... that was kinda the point. It’s pretty tough to be proficient with sticks.... but I can put a rifle in the SFT, and a monkey could hit stuff at 300 with it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep.... shooting sticks suck for anything over about 100 yards... especially on coyotes.... that was kinda the point. It’s pretty tough to be proficient with sticks.... but I can put a rifle in the SFT, and a monkey could hit stuff at 300 with it.

I like it, going to get one. Thanks for posting.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I like it, going to get one. Thanks for posting.

You can’t “get” a Super F’n Tactical..... you can only hope to build one.

I believe the correct nomenclature for a link to this guy’s thread is..... “Rink”.... it’s easily one of ‘sticks better “hints”...

SFT..... "To Infinity and Beyond"

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have been using a Primos Pole cat this year. It breaks down into 3 sections about 16" long so it easily fits in my backpack. I have made 200 yard head shots with it. Typically, sitting in a beach chair where I have a back rest and I can hold pretty steady. It sets up fast and is very light.

When I don't have to back pack, I will take some I made from Saguaro cactus ribs.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I have a set of verne howey sticks on the way...…..I am going to try one of those therma seats also......the double wedge supreme.

thanks for the help and suggestions...….bob

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
To hell with sticks, tripod is where its at. Even better with a clamp, and bestest with an Arca clamp and corresponding rail on the rifle.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by liliysdad
To hell with sticks, tripod is where its at. Even better with a clamp, and bestest with an Arca clamp and corresponding rail on the rifle.

I am calling coyotes, most of the time shots will be under 150yds......and a lot closer than that...….sticks will be fine....bob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 280ACKIMP, 60 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.